Thread: Non-Sustained Boost - TiVCT or Boost Controller?

Tuner in Training

Non-Sustained Boost - TiVCT or Boost Controller?

I am new to FORD tuning and boost. With that being said, I experiencing a dip in boost during pulls. When I am tuning and making a pull 2800rpm - 7000rpm I can watch the boost drop inversely proportional to RPM. My question is can the VCT setting be used to build or sustain boost to Redline? Car made 619/629 on 93 Octane. I am wondering if something is wrong with the boost controller or if VCT is bleeding off pressure

2016 Mustang GT
    On3 Twin 55mm Kit
    Stock Block
    7Psi
    AEM TruBoost on 28% Duty Cycle

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99z28u_up View Post
    I am new to FORD tuning and boost. With that being said, I experiencing a dip in boost during pulls. When I am tuning and making a pull 2800rpm - 7000rpm I can watch the boost drop inversely proportional to RPM. My question is can the VCT setting be used to build or sustain boost to Redline? Car made 619/629 on 93 Octane. I am wondering if something is wrong with the boost controller or if VCT is bleeding off pressure

2016 Mustang GT
    On3 Twin 55mm Kit
    Stock Block
    7Psi
    Boost is a measurement of restrictions, as you optimize VCT to take in more of the air the turbo's are putting out you will see manifold pressure go down. While you can play with VCT to bring manifold pressure up, you will just make less power in the end vs letting it draw in as much air as it can

Senior Tuner
    Are you saying you're losing boost based on the data reported by the ECU from your log or the boost GAUGE? Can't necessarily go by what Fords report for MAP. Those cars don't have MAP sensors.

Check to see if your throttle is closing. VCT changes i don't see making boost fluctuate at 7psi, the turbo should have plenty of airflow left on the table to make up any ve differences.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Are you saying you're losing boost based on the data reported by the ECU from your log or the boost GAUGE? Can't necessarily go by what Fords report for MAP. Those cars don't have MAP sensors.
    The dyno and boost gage

Advanced Tuner

2016 Mustang GT
    On3 Twin 55mm Kit
    Stock Block
    7Psi
    Yes, you can bleed off boost via VCT timing by creating overlap. It doesn't necessarily mean you are making less power.

DO boost leak test first.

Senior Tuner
    I would try running wastegate only and see how flat it holds if your wastegate has a spring reasonable for your setup.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Yes, you can bleed off boost via VCT timing by creating overlap. It doesn't necessarily mean you are making less power.
    What boost controller are you using?

Tuner in Training

Throttle not 100% or closing in this log?

Throttle not 100% or closing in this log?

Tuner in Training
    Can I get some help on the throttle body question?

Can you post the tune so we can take a look at it? I am seeing over 600 lb/ft of IPC wheel torque errors during parts of your log. Have you verified that the waste gate/controller etc are sound and working properly?
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not super versed in these just yet, still learning, but looks like throttle closing to me, take a look at your tach, goes red, then torque source says torque based decel, happens around 6100 or so. What is rev limit set at?

throttleclosing_for99z28.jpg

Next time log Throttle angle and Throttle angle desired.

Advanced Tuner
    What boost controller are you using?
    Running spring pressure at the moment.