Thread: iOS BLE-OBD2 adapter connection stability issue

Potential Tuner

iOS BLE-OBD2 adapter connection stability issue

Hi,
    I tried using the TrackAddict iOS app with carista as well as veepeak BLE adapters for data with wifi controlling a GoPro 5 Session, but I notice the obd2 connection keeps dropping off randomly, and never let me record a complete session on Track.
    Even when connected, app swithching or even pulling up the ios control center causes the obd-2 conection loss and only reconnects after unplug/replug.
    Is there a solution for this problem?

I double-checked things with the latest version of the app and iOS 11 tonight, and everything appears to be working as it should. Upon causing a connection interruption, the app was also able to automatically reestablish the connection.

In my experience, the issues you're seeing are likely due to poor signal reception, or interference. Bluetooth and BLE work well in many situations, but they use the 2.4 GHz band like many other devices, and BLE is typically not as strong as traditional Bluetooth or WiFi.

Although there's not much we can do about hardware issues from within an app, there are a few things you can try to improve this:

1) Position the phone closer to where the OBD adapter is plugged in.

2) Try disabling other devices or features that use 2.4 GHz (ie Bluetooth and WiFi). An easy one to try would be to disable the external camera control feature and see if that helps.

3) As much as practical, try to avoid having any metal or electronics between the phone and the OBD device. Take a look at your phone's case and what you're using to mount it in the car, to ensure that it isn't covering a large area of your phone with metal.