Thread: 5.7 vvt

Tuner in Training MaroonMonsterLS1's Avatar

5.7 vvt

Wondering when and where the VVT tables are used in the calibration. There are "Scavenging" "Part throttle" and "WOT"

WOT is self explanitory, but when exactly are the scavenging and part throttle tables used?Dodge VVT.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Just started messing with these myself. My 2011 does not have the scavenging or warm up tables. The tables have to do with the advancing or retarding of the camshaft itself. As of right now I am only able to see this movement while logging with a DSP Intune, however I have a ticket in with support to try and get this as visible with the VCM scanner.
    PT parameters will depend on what you have your WOT voltage at, so that table is active above oil temp activation levels and throttle voltage. The max airflow table, from what I can tell, is similar to the MBT table for timing, and I do not see that as something you would want to move unless you have a different camshaft.
    Lockpin is what the cam defaults to before it reaches oil temp and engine speed activation. This cam position is just a little retarded from full advance, which is made evident by the max cam angle tab above. Minimum cam angle is below that and is the most that the cam phaser will retard the camshaft.
    Only the exhaust tables will do anything on this car.
    That's kind of it in a quick nutshell, there is much more to it and this forum and others have more detailed information if you do some digging. Hope this helped some.

Tuner in Training MaroonMonsterLS1's Avatar
    Why do you say only the exhaust tables will do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1 View Post
    Why do you say only the exhaust tables will do anything?
    Hemi's only have one cam. If you look at the tune, 1 Phaser system is enabled, but both intake phasers are disabled, BUT the exhaust cam 1 phaser is enabled. It's considered an exhaust cam. In the case of a 3.6 Pen motor, 4 cams, 1 phaser system is disabled, and all 4 phasers are enabled. Hope this makes sense.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    Hemi's only have one cam. If you look at the tune, 1 Phaser system is enabled, but both intake phasers are disabled, BUT the exhaust cam 1 phaser is enabled. It's considered an exhaust cam. In the case of a 3.6 Pen motor, 4 cams, 1 phaser system is disabled, and all 4 phasers are enabled. Hope this makes sense.
    Strange thing about my tune....only the one phaser is on and my intake and exhaust phasers are marked off... I have not messed with those settings from when I originally read the car. It has puzzled me from the first time I have looked into tuning the VVT. Other tunes I have looked at have it turned on...yet mine is off. My cam does my move, as I can witness it in my logs. For now I am leaving it off.
    Last edited by 11challenger; 11-16-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Yea, actually I just looked an '11 I did with a Mag blower, ext phaser was disabled as well. Odd. But I know with this one the cam moved as well.

Tuner in Training
    Might be an oddity for 2011...not sure. Cam sure moves though. Will have to do some experimenting. Trying to get the cam movement into the scanner right now with the support desk so I don't have to use my Intune any longer.

here is an example of how I have mine set, if you move it too far you'll get KR from (i'm guessing) increased cylinder pressure.
    I tried extending the rpm axis to match the higher 6400 rpm shift point but had some issues with the vcm editor getting confused, it seems to work well even though the axis ends at 5792.

graphcapture392camWOTrun.JPG
    392camWOT.JPG
    2010 R/T 6spd-6.1 based 426 @ 12.5:1 NA, Howards Cam, Eagle ported heads & intake, 52# Deatschwerks injectors, AFR shaker, Derale oil cooler, Barton STS, SRT8 shorties/mids,BBK 85,HP tuned,Jet 160*,BT Catch Can,SLP line locks,DRL,skip shift delete,splash guards-alu dash kit,MP hood struts,BT Mopar nose-fuel door-sill plates, sequential tails,marker blackouts,392 chin spoiler,tint, T-rex billet grill, Pirelli tires, alpine audio.

Tuner in Training
    Let me see if I have this correct. I only have to change the exhaust settings for the camshaft and leave the intake side alone?

Tuner
    Yes you are correct

Advanced Tuner
    On Hemis, I find it helpful to adjust both the tables so they are correct.
    Enables you to "see" better where both the cam lobes are as they adv or retard together.
    Cams with different LSA's will have the intake lobe in a different position when at the same exhaust CL number.
    5.7 is like 114.5 and the 6.2 and 6.4's are 120.5.
    So its nice to know where both lobes are at.
    The Pentastar moves the cams independently, so its very necessary to use the intake tables on them.
    Last edited by Hemituna; 11-24-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Intake never changes so you set it to what the intake is ground to?

Tuner in Training
    ok so is lock pin the same as center line which is 105 with LSA 114.5 so would I just subtract 15 from the values already posted in max, min and max phase and set lock pin to 105? then adjust exh side wot to match? What is max phase? Sorry about the onslaught of questions. Does anyone know of a thread? I hope everyone had a good turkey day

Quote Originally Posted by RickyP View Post
    ok so is lock pin the same as center line which is 105 with LSA 114.5 so would I just subtract 15 from the values already posted in max, min and max phase and set lock pin to 105? then adjust exh side wot to match? What is max phase? Sorry about the onslaught of questions. Does anyone know of a thread? I hope everyone had a good turkey day
    I'd really love to know more about this too. If it's a variable, there has to be an optimization, right?