Thread: 2000 s10 2.2 no ignition cylinder,vats disabled..dies going down the road

2000 s10 2.2 no ignition cylinder,vats disabled..dies going down the road

ok,got a good one here guys.. I inherited a 2000 chevy s10 extreme 2.2L and the previous owner lost the keys so instead of fixing it correctly he removed the ignition switch entirely and "bypassed" the passlock by connecting the yellow wire coming from the bcm(to the passlock/hall effect sensors) to the red/white wire that also runs from the passlock/hall effect sensors..which will let the truck start and run but the security light stays on all the time and the truck will randomly die going down the road,but starts right back up immediately every time..thinking this type of "bypass" is kinda half-assed and doesn't bypass the complete passlock/security system and the bcm could still turn off the injectors if it wasn't receiving a signal needed etc..I went ahead and licensed the pcm and went in and disabled VATS in the pcm and did a "write calibration" but the truck is still doing the same thing with VATS disabled in the pcm..so,my 2 questions are..first,do I need to do a "write entire" to truly disable VATS within the pcm? and if not,what else within the security system could cause this issue?..i know a failing ignition module or crank sensor can have similar symptoms but I want to rule out security issues first since its been tampered with and the light is on/stays on all the time, I also know if I replaced all the ignition cylinder/passlock sensor module I could probably get everything working correctly but the truth is the truck is a beater and not worth investing the money, I just want to be able to drive it to/from work and to retrieve parts at junk yards etc,any help or advice would be appreciated,Thanks in advance

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    I have seen previously posted by others that even though the VATS tabs show up in the tune, we really can't control it on the older 2.2L cars. It looked like the people trying were also having really bad luck also. Sorry I can't personally confirm this as I have never tried it on my 2.2 If you want to keep the cost down, research what that other guy was trying to do but do it right. You may also have to temporarly connect one of the wires every time the battery dies or is disconnected, had to do that on a truck I bought that had the "bypass" done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    I have seen previously posted by others that even though the VATS tabs show up in the tune, we really can't control it on the older 2.2L cars. It looked like the people trying were also having really bad luck also. Sorry I can't personally confirm this as I have never tried it on my 2.2 If you want to keep the cost down, research what that other guy was trying to do but do it right. You may also have to temporarly connect one of the wires every time the battery dies or is disconnected, had to do that on a truck I bought that had the "bypass" done to it.
    thanks,i appreciate the reply,found the main ground was loose causing it to die intermittently,took it for a long ride and it never died,i think its good to go now