Thread: Ram 8HP70 Manual Shift - Cummins R2.8

Potential Tuner

Ram 8HP70 Manual Shift - Cummins R2.8

Hey guys, new to HP Tuners and the forum. But not new to the 8HP70's.
    For the past 3 months I have been working on getting an 8HP70 to function behind the new Cummins R2.8 crate engine.
    I have finally figured out the messages needed to get this transmission to function outside of a Chrysler ECU, and I am now getting into the tuning of the TCM with the HP Tuners.

We have a 8HP70 from a Dodge Eco Diesel with a Charger shifter.

So here is what I am trying to figure out, and correct me if I am wrong.
    With the Ram truck the Gear +/- is just a request for max gear and not a true manual mode. Does anyone know what shift tables, or if it is possible to get the Ram 8HP70 to shift in a full manual mode? I would like the trans to hold what ever gear I am requesting.

Some pictures of what we have been working on.
    Engine-6.jpg
    JK-almost-finished2.jpg
    JK-8HP70-Shifter.jpg

Newest beta has them labeled.

Potential Tuner
    I have messed around with the F27 tables with no results of what I am trying to accomplish.

I have talked to a Chrysler engineer and they confirmed that they use 2 different Tap Shift Programs/cals.
    The Ram has the Request Max Gear (ERS, Electronic Range Select), where as the Challenger/Charger/Durango, and Jeep Grand have the Request Current Gear (Autostick).

What I am wanting to do is change the Ram from requesting the Max gear, to having it Request the current gear like the Car 8HP70's do. Is this something that can be done via HP Tuners in the Cal?

FYI, in a Ram you only have F27 table and Normal 1 table it looks like.
    Ram Shift Table.PNG
    Last edited by Ksilovich; 01-07-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Screenshot (196).png

Looks like you have an older version, this is a screen shot from the newest beta. Also green diesel engineering has done what you are wanting with the commanded gear with manual mode , not exactly sure how they did it. On my ram im not able to log tcc slip or any desired gear or actual gear... Are you able to log these through your tcm? Hope this helps a little very limited info out there on tuning these trans, if you figure out the tcc schedule could you please explain ? thanks

edit: i have a read from a 14 Cherokee ecodiesel if this would help...Screenshot (28).png

Ive attached the schedule from the jeep, been going crazy myself trying to compare all these different parameters on these trans..... good luck
    Last edited by 26sutphen; 01-07-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: second screen shot

Potential Tuner
    I have not tried logging with the HP tuners, I log all of that data with my gateway module I have designed.

The diesel aside, I have been kicking around trying to make the ZF 8 speeds semi-stand alone. You get a lot of transmission for the money. I have an 8HP45 to play with but the real prize is the 8HP90. Congratulations!
    Level 3 Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram technician
    20 years experience

Tuner in Training
    Hi There

Did you manage to get the trans working standalone? We have it installed behind a 5.7 and another behind a Hellcat in Wranglers but also having a hard time to get it to shift into Drive from Park

Thinus

Quote Originally Posted by Ksilovich View Post
    Hey guys, new to HP Tuners and the forum. But not new to the 8HP70's.
    For the past 3 months I have been working on getting an 8HP70 to function behind the new Cummins R2.8 crate engine.
    I have finally figured out the messages needed to get this transmission to function outside of a Chrysler ECU, and I am now getting into the tuning of the TCM with the HP Tuners.

We have a 8HP70 from a Dodge Eco Diesel with a Charger shifter.

So here is what I am trying to figure out, and correct me if I am wrong.
    With the Ram truck the Gear +/- is just a request for max gear and not a true manual mode. Does anyone know what shift tables, or if it is possible to get the Ram 8HP70 to shift in a full manual mode? I would like the trans to hold what ever gear I am requesting.

Some pictures of what we have been working on.
    Engine-6.jpg
    JK-almost-finished2.jpg
    JK-8HP70-Shifter.jpg

Potential Tuner
    Did you get the Ram transmissions to behave like the Challenger/Charger/Durango, and Jeep Grand transmissions with the Autostick and hold the gear you want aka full manual control?

Tuner in Training
    Any updates?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksilovich View Post
    I have not tried logging with the HP tuners, I log all of that data with my gateway module I have designed.
    Hi Ksilovich

Could we have an update re your project and perhaps some detats of you gateway module?

Regards

Has anyone found a way to change the Ram ERS gear selection to Autostick? And make the + - buttons work like in the cars?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Smxtmpr34 View Post
    Has anyone found a way to change the Ram ERS gear selection to Autostick? And make the + - buttons work like in the cars?
    some companies claim to have done this, i havent been able to figure it out myself but customers keep asking for it

Potential Tuner
    Shouldn't someone from HP know how to do something about it ?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SRR007 View Post
    Shouldn't someone from HP know how to do something about it ?
    I am sure, I do know my jeep customers have it and my rams don't side by side there isnt much different between the two, it may be programming in the bvm itself for those buttons but I could be wrong I may keep testing it. gde was able to do it on their tuning.