Thread: Capabilities of HP with 1997 GM black box

Tuner in Training

Capabilities of HP with 1997 GM black box

I have done a lot of searching on the subject, most of the threads I come across are 10 years old or close, answers are cloudy, and 98+ is referenced regularly although I can't see any difference in PCMs from my 97 to a 98. I am hoping to get some updated input. I know from my searching that capabilities are limited, it is strictly a tow rig, and all stock, I would simply like to adjust power enrichment, add a couple degrees of timing here and there and that's all. I can't see going through the time to swap a 0411 into it...

Hopefully someone has some 2017 experience they can share,
    Thanks in advance!

Advanced Tuner
    The 1996 and 1997 Black Box Vortec PCMs are not supported by HPT. You can tune the 1998 to 2000 Black Box Vortec PCMs using HPT.

The PCMs may look the same from year to year, but they are not.

Tuner in Training
    does anyone know what exactly u can read from the black box?

i am currently on the black box on a 98 7.4L that i want to do a 0411 swap on eventually but would like to learn what HP Tuners can read from the black box. maybe someone has a ideal layout for them?

here to learn since i am as green as it gets

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever get anywhere with your tuning of the 454 or swapping to the 411 pcm? Im not even green staus yet more like white belt.. 2000 chevy k2500 with 454. Stock

Advanced Tuner
    For doing the 0411 swap do a basic google search for "0411 lextech" When you can find a way to get a hold of him then he will provide you with a pinout sheet and instructions as to how complete the swap easily. It takes between an hour to 3 depending on how precise and how capable you are. He has a simple request that you do not distribute his sheets to anyone. There are two reasons for this. 1. He wants to make sure that you have the accurate information for your exact vehicle as there are some changes between seemingly identical vehicles. 2. He wants the chance to offer you a PCM that is already loaded with basic tune for your application. He also has the required connectors. The whole thing will cost around $300.

The pinout diagram is free though, just remember he has put a lot of work into this project and does not charge, so respect his wishes and being polite when you ask is a big deal.

As for the Blackbox, I have never tuned mine as I went to the 0411 right off the bat. I do believe though that the 96-97 can be read from HP, but not altered. I also think that these PCMs had 5 connectors and the 97 and up Blackboxes had only 4. The later model ones can be tuned, but even for a stock vehicle I felt that the engine ran smoother and seemed to have more response. (This may also have been the placebo effect) But if you plan on making any serious modifications to the engine, I seriously recommend the 0411.

Potential Tuner
    thanks markms. 10 months has passed lol. i installed 411. nothing but issues. just put black box back in and joila my truck is 100% HAPPY again. also bought hp tuners going to take baby steps and hopefully get some help in tuning black box.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll be honest, you are the first person I have heard of that has done this swap and been unhappy with it. I would be interested in seeing the tune you were running.

Potential Tuner
    any update on this?
    im about to do the swap and really would like to know why it didnt work for you.
    i have a 96 7.4 L29
    looking to do either the 99 black box or the 411

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No update, sorry.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"