Thread: Dashware User questions - looking for a better solution

Potential Tuner

Dashware User questions - looking for a better solution

All:

I've been using dashware since it wasn't free! I've currently got a high frequency (30 samples/second) Inertial measurement unit and am running into some dashware limitations. So I'd like to ask about some specific issues, if racerender will work where dashware falls short.

First, I assume I can create a custom csv import template???
    Second, are there limitations to the sample count in a data file? Dashware seems to be getting upset over 65,000
    Third, does racerender allow creation of custom gauges? Currently I have a graphic of a RZR and can rotate it based on pitch and roll - can I do this with racerender?
    Fourth, I'd love to be able to build an artificial horizon gauge that would allow me to show pitch and roll on a single graphic - would this be possible in racerender?
    Fifth, what rendering options are available? dashware only provides a microsoft software codec - I'd love to have access to quicksync/nvenc.
    Sixth - chromakey - does racerender support exporting for use in a NLE?

Thanks much for giving me some indication of racerender's abilities

Attached is a simple example of what I'm doing with dashware
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ksdehoff View Post
    First, I assume I can create a custom csv import template???
    In most cases, RaceRender will automatically recognize your file's data channels for the categories that most of its displays tap into, but you also have the option of double-clicking on your data file under the Input Files list and making specific selections, as well as choosing a specific data channel as the "Field" to use for most display objects (double-click on the display object to open its properties box).

Second, are there limitations to the sample count in a data file? Dashware seems to be getting upset over 65,000
    There is no direct limit on data sample counts. Some technical limitations or odd behavior would be encountered if you manage to run your system out of memory (RAM), or if it's 99 hours or longer in length, both of which are so high that I'm not aware of anyone doing this with just a data file. If you have an extremely high data sample rate, then that could take a little more loading time and processing power, but it should not be an actual problem and may go unnoticed.

Third, does racerender allow creation of custom gauges? Currently I have a graphic of a RZR and can rotate it based on pitch and roll - can I do this with racerender?
    Yes, an important part of RaceRender's capability is that users have control to customize the displays of their data. The Advanced and Ultimate editions offer our full customization capabilities, but even Free and Deluxe editions let you do some customizations and adjustments, as well as explore things like the Gauge Designer.

To display an image that rotates based on a data input, go to the Display Objects section -> Add -> E Image -> "Compass - Aircraft"... That's an example of an image that will be rotated based on the current movement Heading (0 - 360) degrees. With that as a starting point, you could click "Edit Background" to change the image, change the "Field" selection to use a specific data channel, and adjust the Input / Output mapping ranges if need be.

Fourth, I'd love to be able to build an artificial horizon gauge that would allow me to show pitch and roll on a single graphic - would this be possible in racerender?
    There are a couple ways to approach displays that rely on two different data channels:

1) Stacking: For cases where you want two separate indicators, you could simply create two display objects, one for each data channel, and position them on top of each other. Many displays can be made see-through by un-checking their "Back" color checkbox, which is great for placing them on top of each other, or for using your own background image with them.

2) Integration: For displays that use the two data channels together for one combined indicator, or that otherwise affects each other, this requires a much more specific solution for your desired look and type of use. We include a lot of this stuff for 2D G-Force plots and some other cases, but presently do not include a traditional artificial horizon display. While it should already be possible for users to create this using an Enhanced Display Object, which offers simple scripting capability and the ability to use additional data channels, that is definitely an advanced feature that would require programming skills to accomplish. However, once such a display is created, it could then be easily used by others.

Fifth, what rendering options are available? dashware only provides a microsoft software codec - I'd love to have access to quicksync/nvenc.
    On Windows, you can export in .MP4 (H.264) or .WMV (Windows Media Video), and up to 4K if on Windows 10. The Mac version supports exporting in .MP4 (H.264) up to 4K as well. We use the encoders that are contained in the host operating system, which may make use of some hardware acceleration, at their discretion, but generally you'll probably find this utilizing your CPU more than your GPU.

Sixth - chromakey - does racerender support exporting for use in a NLE?
    Yes, you can export a blue screen or green screen video for use in other editing software. Just go to the Display Objects section -> Add -> Shape -> Green Screen (or Blue Screen), and then use the "Move Down" button (under the Display Objects section) to make it the bottom-most display object.

Ultimately, I would encourage you and any other prospective users to download RaceRender's Free edition and give it a try with your actual data: http://RaceRender.com/RR3/Download.html . You can explore quite a lot of the functionality with your own actual data files, and even export some quick video clips, without needing to purchase anything.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks very much for that information - I had wanted to have a good indicator that Racerender is 'close' before I commit the time to learning it. My Dashware learning curve took a long time and was quite frustrating. Hopefully I'll be able to apply much of what I've already learned.

Potential Tuner
    I'm about to switch over to the RaceRender camp from Dashware too. Even though there is a price tag on RR and none on Dashware, there is zero support for Dashware. My only concern is that RR can utilize enough of the data telemetry to make it worth the $59 price tag.