Thread: anything i can do

anything i can do

advise to squeeze a little more from this truck? tia

Attachment 75109

Check your "main injection limit" page and look at your "vs engine coolant" map.

I can't believe I missed those tables. Thanks.

that first one was wrong, the ficm tune was apparently too much or something because the truck wouldn't hardly idle. can you look this one over and let me know if it looks good enough to send? should I increase the hot lockup temp?

Attachment 75130

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by qwkvert View Post
    that first one was wrong, the ficm tune was apparently too much or something because the truck wouldn't hardly idle. can you look this one over and let me know if it looks good enough to send? should I increase the hot lockup temp?

Attachment 75130
    Compare yours to mine, I haven't messed with the FICM and my truck gets minimal smoke upon stabbing the throttle and runs hard and clean out the back door!

6.0 after oil coolerTUNED.hpt
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build

Tuner in Training
    On the FICM tuning.... you do NOT need to mess with most of the table unless you went to upgraded (bigger) injectors if on stock injectors...adjustments made should be at your higher injection pressure and higher volume areas...its a very small window to adjust....and datalog after changes.... monitor egt...smoke output....and temps after each change.... high temps kill diesels ....

Tuner in Training
    All in All the tune looks good though.. only thing I would do would be clean up the HPOP pressures and transfer function of the icp sensor..
    1989 C1500 LS-Swapped 4.8 single turbo-HP tuned
    2005 F350 Ford 6.0 diesel CCLB 4x4-HP tuned
    GULF COAST SPEED SHOP (check facebook)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxSwap0613 View Post
    All in All the tune looks good though.. only thing I would do would be clean up the HPOP pressures and transfer function of the icp sensor..
    Is it my tune you are saying to work ICP on?

Tuner in Training
    Yes I am talking about under the fuel system tab
    I will attach one of my tunes to show you. .disregard some changes in other parts of the tune. this is my working file lol but look into how I have the icp setup
    the max pressure a stock pump will provide is around 4500psi to 4800psi and that is on the high side... if you are on a stock blue spring regulator... you don't need the pressure that high. I have a regulated return and my fuel pressure is around 65 to 70 psi where the blue spring puts it at 55 psi
    I plan on upgrading the HPOP soon so I can run up to 4800 to 5000 if needed when I upgrade the injectors
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1989 C1500 LS-Swapped 4.8 single turbo-HP tuned
    2005 F350 Ford 6.0 diesel CCLB 4x4-HP tuned
    GULF COAST SPEED SHOP (check facebook)

Tuner in Training
    I will attach one of my tunes to show you. .disregard some changes in other parts of the tune. this is my working file lol but look into how I have the icp setup
    the max pressure a stock pump will provide is around 4500psi to 4800psi and that is on the high side... if you are on a stock blue spring regulator... you don't need the pressure that high. I have a regulated return and my fuel pressure is around 65 to 70 psi where the blue spring puts it at 55 psi
    I plan on upgrading the HPOP soon so I can run up to 4800 to 5000 if needed when I upgrade the injectors
    My truck is stock with the blue spring kit and a new pump installed in the HFCM. I had a problem with fuel supply falling off earlier last year which resulted in those repairs. Truck hasn't been having problems since then. I'm afraid to mess with the high pressure stuff too much as I dont want to stress parts more than necessary.

Tuner in Training
    You have 3.7 BETA right? I remember seeing that somewhere you were testing with it.....I can't open your file because I get an error message of newer/unsupported version update software

Good to see people helping out in here. Thanks. I hope more people catch on to hp's support of psd trucks and become involved in the forum.

Potential Tuner
    Also keep in mind with ficm tuning you no longer need to mess with the ICP transfer function. When ficm tuning wasn't available tuners would alter the icp transfer function to increase injector pw. On the more aggressive tunes, tuners would lower the icp to about 11-12 mpa at 4.5-4.8v. Doing this will trick the ecm into only using the first half of the ficm pw table. You would also get a "light switch effect" in power when the throttle is above about 65%. Based on your ecm tune and icp transfer function you're running about 2.4ms pw at WOT. I would change your transfer function back to stock and increase your ficm pw to 2.4ms or 2.5ms in the 23mpa to 27mpa cells at 120mm3 fuel desired. At this point you are very close to emptying the stock injectors. Id also start over with the stock ficm pw table. With stock injectors you shouldn't have to adjust anything in the idle area of the pw table.
    Last edited by blackf250; 11-21-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blackf250 View Post
    Also keep in mind with ficm tuning you no longer need to mess with the ICP transfer function. When ficm tuning wasn't available tuners would alter the icp transfer function to increase injector pw. On the more aggressive tunes, tuners would lower the icp to about 11-12 mpa at 4.5-4.8v. Doing this will trick the ecm into only using the first half of the ficm pw table. You would also get a "light switch effect" in power when the throttle is above about 65%. Based on your ecm tune and icp transfer function you're running about 2.4ms pw at WOT. I would change your transfer function back to stock and increase your ficm pw to 2.4ms or 2.5ms in the 23mpa to 27mpa cells at 120mm3 fuel desired. At this point you are very close to emptying the stock injectors. Id also start over with the stock ficm pw table. With stock injectors you shouldn't have to adjust anything in the idle area of the pw table.
    I am using an older version of HPT to be able to master toggle off EGR system as I have no idea how to disable with current software. I did not pay the extra to be able to tune FICM honestly I see no reason to just by changing the pedal map table the truck does more now than I wanted it to. I'm gonna leave my engine tune alone my mileage hasn't suffered any worse than it already was, temps are running cooler than before and I don't have to nail the throttle and count to 10 to get it to spool and take off. I'm happy with what I have gotten...as far how much abuse stock injectors take or weather I am running them to the point of "emptying them" as you said. an SCT tune i had copied was putting up to 150 MG of fuel and the truck truck would smoke like hell, ran awesome but I can't stand excessive smoke from a truck that isn't pulling a big load, so I started backing the max fuel down till the feel of the power in the seat was what I wanted and I didn't get loads of black smoke under WOT. besides with 195k miles on the clock and no service history on the truck, I'm guessing its never had the heads off, I'm thinking i'm due for injectors. I can't cold start it and go anywhere it has to run for 10-15 minutes depending on how cold it is outside before it will even leave the driveway without missing and sputtering and pouring think blue smoke that just reeks of diesel. I'm guess the injectors are just wore out and suffering from uncureable stiction. OH WELL, I'm gonna keep using the warm up method until I get hot missfires and can no longer put off having to replace injectors. Then of course its heads off, studs and time for real power ;-)

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Ghost you can use older software to tune out egr and then swap over to newer software. It works fine. I've got like 7 installs on my laptop.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomEnthusiast View Post
    Ghost you can use older software to tune out egr and then swap over to newer software. It works fine. I've got like 7 installs on my laptop.
    Thats what I ended up doing, just haven't wanted to see what the extra cost to tune the FICM is gonna be, and with what I have done with the truck its honestly the last tuning it will get unless it kills a head or headgasket and gets new injectors and studs.