Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hellcat uncontrollable knock

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by slowSRT8 View Post
    Thanks man. I'm glad I'm going this route.
    Curt@Injected?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    Curt@Injected?
    Yep

Advanced Tuner
    Yep
    Curt is a great guy and IMO one of the best out there. You won't be disappointed.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    Curt is a great guy and IMO one of the best out there. You won't be disappointed.
    Thanks for the Kind words Jay. Believe I just spoke to Sean on the phone. We're going to get this thing sorted out for him.

I wanted to give an update. I am happy to report that I have Curt's dual pump setup installed and a nearly complete tune from him as well. I have 80 PSI of fuel pressure all the way to 6700 RPM and my IDC never gets past 77%. I did upgrade to FIC 1200s though. The car is now on 100% e85 and is running great. NO more false knock BS. All it takes is an experienced tuner to iron these things out. I will still be here all the time trying to learn as much as possible, but this issue at least is now resolved.

Advanced Tuner
    I wanted to give an update. I am happy to report that I have Curt's dual pump setup installed and a nearly complete tune from him as well. I have 80 PSI of fuel pressure all the way to 6700 RPM and my IDC never gets past 77%. I did upgrade to FIC 1200s though. The car is now on 100% e85 and is running great. NO more false knock BS. All it takes is an experienced tuner to iron these things out. I will still be here all the time trying to learn as much as possible, but this issue at least is now resolved.
    Thanks Sean. It's always nice to help a customer with the final step in a build and get the car to where they want it to be. We'll keep working at it and hopefully have some BA timeslips to back up all the talk soon.

Quote Originally Posted by curt@injected View Post
    Thanks Sean. It's always nice to help a customer with the final step in a build and get the car to where they want it to be. We'll keep working at it and hopefully have some BA timeslips to back up all the talk soon.
    Yes hopefully very soon!

Tuner in Training
    old thread, but did you ever get to the track with the hellcat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
    old thread, but did you ever get to the track with the hellcat?
    9.8 @ 142 with a 1.6 60 foot. With a 1.3 60 that would be like a 9.50 or better. Since then the car lost 300 pounds, gained 2 psi, and I added a 200 shot. Havent run it yet but soon.

I think it's important that I clear up some info about the knock I was having, so others can avoid this happening to them as well. Now this is a tricky subject because whatever Curt did to the tune file did indeed get rid of my knock completely, but as you can see from reading this thread I had more than one issue going on. I ran out of injector, due to running out of pump, and was having knock that wouldn't stop. The fuel and knock was addressed instantly with a new fuel system and new tune. However, there is one thing that was never mentioned in this thread.

The car was sucking some oil from my catch can. I believe the design of the can was sufficient, but it just wasn't right for the hellcat factory blower design. It was mounted like 5 inches from the PCV/inlet at the base of the blower case and it did not include a check valve. You would think the "check valve" on the passenger valve cover should have been adequate, but I took it off only to find out that it is not a one way valve at all. I don't know what the hell it is other than an easy way to plug a hose in, it does nothing to prevent back flow when the blower is boosting. Some say that no boost comes out of that port at the base of the blower, but I hooked a boost gauge up to it and it was showing positive boost pressure when I revved it. This means that when I was boosting 19 pounds of boost under WOT, a ton of pressure was blasting down that 5 inch line into the catch can, blowing oil all over the damn place, then when I chopped off the throttle it would go into vacuum and suck oil/vapor in right away. It would take the oil in and shoot it right at cylinder one (the best I can tell). This caused cylinder one and its corresponding plug to be covered in oil.

Long story but I thought the motor was gone and almost pulled it out. Like I was going to pull it that day when I decided to take a real close look at what that catch can was doing. Ill spare you the details and testing I did, but what I ended up with was a new catch can design which relocated it to the fender and used 16 inch hoses that dipped downward, along with a true one way check valve. This prevents boost from going back into the can and then if any oil does happen to get by the can, it will have to go a long way to get back to the blower. It hasn't smoked since and doesn't use oil like it was before. I was putting a quart in it all the time and it would smoke almost every startup. It would even smoke pulling away from a stop light often. Ran a 9.8 @ 142 like this though lol

Now whether the knock sensors were being tripped by the oil going into the motor or the original knock sensor threshold settings is up in the air, but im sure that both were contributing in their own way. I just wanted to add this info to the post in case anyone else may run across this same issue. It took me almost a year to figure this oil issue out and was as simple as a catch can.

Tuner in Training
    Good info....what was the make of the original catch can causing the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Flipfloptrader View Post
    Good info....what was the make of the original catch can causing the problem?
    UPR. And I still have a UPR it?s just fender mounted now. It?s a quality piece. Just needs to be mounted further away from the blower with a check valve.

Its odd but def need to be looked into. Odd because its the rotor pack inlet but the bypass valve does dump into the same area after throttle. Maybe just have a dual valve cover catch can that feeds back into the intake pipe before throttle body. Nice heads up.