Thread: Unable to read GPS coordinates from video

Potential Tuner

Unable to read GPS coordinates from video

Hi

I took this video at the race track yesterday and purchased RaceRender to get the overlays on the video.
    Race render recognizes that there is GPS data in the video and offers to convert it, but then fails with an error.
    The video camera also writes it's own gps log which I have attached, but importing that as the data stream does not work either.

What can I do?

http://www.prodoc.co.nz/downloads/MOVI0008.zip

Thanks

Thanks for linking the video and data. Can you tell me the brand and model of this camera?

It looks like this data isn't getting extracted from the video for some reason (it just creates a blank file, hence the load error), so I'm looking into that further and am optimistic for a solution there...

As for the .TXT file that this camera also produces, I see two errors in that file that are causing problems:

1) The timestamps are missing a decimal point, so it's giving us "024413427", which can't be understood. I believe it should have been "024413.427", meaning 02:44:13.427 GMT, but there's not an ideal way to get it to interpret these files in that way without negatively affecting our support for other stuff.

2) The data samples are only at 0.5 Hz (one update every 2 seconds), but each data sample is written twice. This isn't really much of a problem, but looking at data that's embedded in the video, I would assume that they really wanted to output at 2 Hz here and this is some bug.

Update: I was able to get the embedded GPS data extract working for this video, and that improvement will be included in our very next software update, RaceRender 3.6.4, which I expect to release this week...

Potential Tuner
    Great - I have been in touch with the camera distributors and they use Race Render 2. I downloaded that and tried the video. It extracted the data correctly and created the GPS file. I then used V3 to open the video and GPS file and it works fine. I assume the bug you found is the same fix.

I will look forward to the new version to save the work around.