Thread: 2003 5.9HO Tune Review

Tuner in Training

2003 5.9HO Tune Review

Hey All,

I have the vehicle listed below in my signature and am just getting started with tuning. I have done a lot of reading and research to put together a starter tune for my truck. The truck is all stock with the exception of a valve body. I am trying for tow/mild street tune for the truck. This is my daily driver and am looking to get another 200,000 miles out of it. The only towing I do is a 6000lb boat in the summer months. Let me know what you guys think....any recommendations are appreciated.MB modified tune.hpt
    2003 Ram 2500 QC LB 4x4 48RE 5.9HO 87000 miles all stock

Biggest issue is too much timing, too much at cruise. Also your duration map, I typically only raise the upper end of the map like from 60mm3 and up. You might find yours to cause the truck to be surgy at low throttle, you don't really need to raise the duration everywhere like that.

Have a look at my 03 file, its a pretty solid tune, not to aggressive.
    03 Tune.hpt
    Also how do you like your valve body upgrade? How does it shift now? Do you still have the stock converter? I was thinking about getting a VB only as well.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks BigCE for the advice! I used a timing calculator and it had the timing set with the attached screen shot. I added two degrees to the entire map only because the stock map had three degrees in the lower rangeFor some reason I can't open your tune....It keeps saying that the format is unsupported and a newer version is detected. Any ideas on how to fix that? I have not put the valve body in yet and I think I am going to go with a Superior shift kit and Sonnax supporting pieces. I will eventually replace the converter but not for another couple months. I will let you know how the shift kit goes. timing map.PNG

Tuner in Training
    BigCE, here is an amended version of the tune with changes to the timing and duration. For some reason I still can't open your tune. Thanks for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by iaff284 View Post
    BigCE, here is an amended version of the tune with changes to the timing and duration. For some reason I still can't open your tune. Thanks for your help
    Its quite a bit better, still maybe a touch aggressive in the cruise area but overall its alot closer. I saved my file with 3.7 beta probably why it wont open, I will try and save it later with 3.6

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help BigCE! I will load it in the truck and give it a go. More than anything I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to do anything detrimental to the health of the engine. Let me know when you have a chance to save that tune with the older software.

Tuner in Training
    Hey BigCE, Here is an updated version of the tune. I have made several full throttle runs with no smoke at all. The throttle feels like stock with a stronger pull, not touchy at all. It still feels a little soft from around 700rpm to 2000rpm with the throttle range of 15% to 40%. Any recommendations on adding some power into that area? I though about playing with the pedal map but wasn't sure if there was a better way. Thanks for your help!

MB modified tune2A.hpt

Smoke limiter map might hold you back a bit, here is a picture of mine.
    Low Boost Map.PNG

I would also max out both your Baro limit maps set them at 200
    Probably not the issue but I usually disable BTM (brake torque management)

Still working on getting that tune uploaded, PITA now because I cant just compare the new file it wont load in 3.6 Ill get it to you though when I have time.

Tuner in Training
    I changed the Boost Limit A map to mimic yours and maxed both Baro tables to 200mm3 across the table. I then maxed out the Torque Limit Tables to 2048. I also disabled the BTM, General Limit A, Master Limit Switch and the Max Output Limit. Have you made any changes to the ECT or IAT adders or multipliers? I just started reading about them and I am trying to wrap my head around how the affect fuel pressure.

Here is my file, should open in 3.6 now.

I have removed about half of the low coolant timing, mostly because I have added quite a bit more static timing to the main map then there was from "stock".
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the tune sharing. It is good to see I was headed in the right direction. It definitely helps to see a working tune and where changes have been made. Is your truck a '03 305hp? Any mods to it?

It's a 250hp SO with a 47RE.

Bone stock lol, thinking about adding a valve body. Living on the edge right now haha.

Tuner in Training
    haha, I hear ya.....thanks again for your help!

Tuner in Training
    Hey BigCE, I was looking at the pilot injection timing correction tables and you had made a change to the Baro multiplier. I tried to duplicate it in my tune but I cannot get my table to go above 110.3. I have looked everywhere trying to locate a limiter that is holding it back but without success. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by iaff284 View Post
    Hey BigCE, I was looking at the pilot injection timing correction tables and you had made a change to the Baro multiplier. I tried to duplicate it in my tune but I cannot get my table to go above 110.3. I have looked everywhere trying to locate a limiter that is holding it back but without success. Any ideas?
    Not sure why that is how it is in my base "read" from my truck. It looks like that map isn't used anyway don't worry about it.

You should copy over my No Throttle Map under all speed governor and also copy over both droop tables Main and Alt that fixed my limiting issue.

Do a log file and log all the max fuelling parameters and fuel limit parameters see how much mm3 its getting.

Tuner in Training
    Will do, I will post up a copy of the log tomorrow.

Tuner in Training
    BigCE, I left my laptop at work so it will be a couple days before I can post the log but I ran the truck with a copy of your tune and all I can say is WOW!!! It is like driving a completely different truck. There was a light haze under full throttle from a stop which I expected and it pulled like a bastard all the way through the rpm range. Nice work!! I will post a log later this week.