Thread: Can't do a burnout on a 2500HD....

Potential Tuner

Can't do a burnout on a 2500HD....

I have a 2009 GMC 2500HD 6.0L 4x4.

Truck has some sort of electronic nanny that prevents you from doing burnouts. A guy on PT.net put in a line lock, but that seems like overkill.

Just curious if there is a HPT solution to this.

Thanks in advance.

M

Post the tune.

Might be some engine side TM settings you can dial back but don't expect the world from it. You are still dealing with a 6,000lbs and 3/4 to 1 ton running gear that takes a ton of power to turn from a dead stop. Over sized tires or lift kits will make it even worse.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Post the tune.

Might be some engine side TM settings you can dial back but don't expect the world from it. You are still dealing with a 6,000lbs and 3/4 to 1 ton running gear that takes a ton of power to turn from a dead stop. Over sized tires or lift kits will make it even worse.
    Tune Attached.

That truck has almost 400hp from the factory. It should have no issue doing burnouts. In fact on the wet if I step in it she will spin great, the issue is you cant do a brake stand, and that is entirely in the programming. Basically looking if someone has a way to bypass it. Stock wheels/tires/height.
    Attached Files Attached Files

They do okay on power but factor in drivetrain loss, it's 360hp at the crank so 300hp at the tire.

Try disabling the traction control torque mngt in the tune. There are a few tables you can disable to try and prevent it from closing the throttle and removing spark/fuel.

I would also remove the power enrichment RPM delay that is set to 8,192rpm. Change that to 0 rpm, increase the ramp in rate to 1.0 and lower the PE pedal % from 87 down to 60%. That should help as well.

These newer NNBS trucks have very powerful braking systems on them too, I'd found that if you just smash the brake it is very hard for the truck to over come that and won't spin the tires very easy. If you load it up, then slowly let out of the brake they will start to go and once going you can just add a little more brake to stop you moving forward.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Brake Torque Management?

Potential Tuner
    They do okay on power but factor in drivetrain loss, it's 360hp at the crank so 300hp at the tire.

Made the changes you recommended, still no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell08 View Post
    Brake Torque Management?
    Where is that?

Going to need a log file of you trying to do it. Log any torque mngt channel, spark correction, knock retard, burst knock etc to see what might be pulling power.

Also the updated tune file.

Brake torque management is already disabled under the Engine TM tab. You can make the table out if you wish too. If you can't see them all you need to be in advanced view under the edit tab.

Potential Tuner
    Going to need a log file of you trying to do it. Log any torque mngt channel, spark correction, knock retard, burst knock etc to see what might be pulling power......

I will get a log later, but it appears I have solved the problem. Someone on here PM'd me and gave me a few things to try.
    Set the PE delay to 2000rpm, and PE Ratio to 1.193 across the board. I also went through a stock 09-13CTSV file as they have a 6l90e stock, and stole gears 1-4 from that (line changes ect) Here is the updated tune. I have also removed the speed limiter (successfully this time i hope).

I need to set up logging and get some log files in a bit, but in rainy weather it seems to do a burn out now. I just got it to spin both wheels a bit (as it still stays around 2-3K rpm, and wont rev past that with the brake on.

Feel free to critique the file. I also plan on adding some total advance to get some more juice out the motor. 2009_GMC_2500HD_Modified.hpt

Speed limiter part, switch the source from GMLAN to calibration and then it will take full effect. Just be careful with your speed, GM does not rate the driveshafts above 100mph. They can hit critical speed and explode.

Some of the traction control TM on the engine > general can be changed still, it might allow for a better result. Lowering the power enrichment pedal enable from 87% to 65% helps for getting into the power. Also the open rate of the TB can be changed too. Airflow > electronic throttle > Area Rate Limits. The heavy duty trucks have a slow opening rate when compared to a half ton truck or a car. They will be set to 100% for all cells expect like 1st gear.

Potential Tuner
    Speed limiter part, switch the source from GMLAN to calibration and then it will take full effect. Just be careful with your speed, GM does not rate the driveshafts above 100mph. They can hit critical speed and explode.

Some of the traction control TM on the engine > general can be changed still, it might allow for a better result. Lowering the power enrichment pedal enable from 87% to 65% helps for getting into the power. Also the open rate of the TB can be changed too. Airflow > electronic throttle > Area Rate Limits. The heavy duty trucks have a slow opening rate when compared to a half ton truck or a car. They will be set to 100% for all cells expect like 1st gear.
    Fixed it. Truck drives much smoother and better overall. Thanks for your help.

Hook up a line lock so the rear brakes don't come into play when you are doing a burnout.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8