Thread: 2015 Control Pack Twin Turbo finishing touches..need the expert hand

2015 Control Pack Twin Turbo finishing touches..need the expert hand

I am down to just 2 small issues with my tune to make it as good as OE.

The power delivery and ease that I can apply the power is pretty is awesome.

The main issue I have is the engine braking... if attempting from WOT it seems function as you would expect.... in mid application however a light lift off ends up in a "trailer hitch" condition where the engine seems like it wants to brake but applies a touch of fuel pw...and then goes back to engine braking... and so on... like the engine doesn't understand i am coasting.

The control pack does not have provisions for VSS so the tranny is not in the equation.

the last piece and I could live without is the free rev isn't as snappy as I would like... it jumps up fine on throttle application but returns slowly to idle.... I am not sure if the the 2 conditions are related.

Lastly... the clutch switch is bypassed so that it is in the "always" depressed for engine start. - so I don't have to push the clutch in to start... not sure if that is effecting anything.

attached is the tune and a few datalogs....

it does look that things are messed up when the tune goes in dashpot... but I don't understand where in the tune to start looking.

I am very new to the HPTuner scene so please take me to school!

thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eriktreves; 12-02-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Oh btw... the tune attached was dyno'd at 683 whp and 550rwtq @ just 10 psi with safe afr and total timing

Any ideas guys?

I have figured out the tune idles in MP15 and on decal tends to use a little in M14. In the decal it has a load of .11 and I have reduced those cells quite a bit... all that has done is lowered the requested throttle angle... but something is holding the actual throttle position open...on heavy decal above 2500 it works fine just on light cruise it at about 2000-2500 and below it will continuously swap between engine breaking and adding gas....

my next stop is the DRIVER DEMAND throttle position by gear... but not sure what that will do since the ECU isn't hooked up to the transmission.

if anybody can think of something I willing to try it... thanks again in advance.

ok... well check me then??.... it's fixed!!!!!!!!!!!! snappy throttle! Hopefully my drive off isn't messed up now... Need to check engine breaking now when it warms up a bit later this week.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eriktreves; 12-13-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Senior Tuner
    This is an interesting one to figure out with out VSS feed back.

I would think you could use the Idle PID control just like dash pot, but also the other way to increase the speed at which the TB needs to close. I would see if you could log RPM error and start by putting negative proportional in that RPM error. My guess would be in the positive RPM error.

Sir.

I made a change in the PNR1-Launch tables. Since mine are all the same (due to no vss assuming) in the previous post I put both tunes before/after so s compare can be done... I actually 3 changed at once... I will back each change out today and see which one actually fixed it... at least I now have a SNAPPY throttle!

Still hunting for a final solution... it's better but not fixed... if I slowly advance the throttle it doesn't return as snappy as in the video.

Some progress made today... still looking for my engine breaking solution

In my queue to look at.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

That would be great Eric. Hope the house is going well!

Advanced Tuner
    No able to open any logs currently, & this is just a guess that may or may not apply much...

Can you toggle auto or manual equipped? Wonder if that will uncover anything? Back in the moates obd1 day I recall dealing with cruising surge issues before finding the EGR playing a role as well as Lean Cruise Mode toying with fueling. Between dealing with that & maintaining a steady 128 block learn multiplier, the tune was eventually ironed out..... Then I installed a higher stall TC. fml
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Thanks... Some of that helped... but it still has the same issues... Murfie's suggestions have helped "dampen" the issue... but I have a feeling there is a root cause in the tune that still needs to be addressed to make it act "normal"... it is closer than is was.. the "shift hang" function was enabled from Ford... and I disabled the clutch lock out switch so that was messing things up. It has been raining here so I have not had a chance to really try the latest changes that I made based on Murfie's feedback... seems like it is a step in the right direction..... The above video while looks like all fixed at idle ... it actually drove like crap under light load and no engine breaking at all.
    Last edited by eriktreves; 12-26-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Eric,

I am pretty sure Trevor and I added a pin to the control pack ECU connector and wired in the VSS signal from the trans and it worked to eliminate the need for any workaround that cause the stalling issue initially found with the control pack in the 2011-14 ECUs. Not sure if that would work around(if possible on your setup) would give more tools to sort you issue, but figured I would throw it out there.

David

Yeah.. I had thought about that... not sure about the 2015 control pack.. it really feels like it is in the tune... even stock out of the box idle was never very snappy

The 14 control packs needed a vss box and the pin added.. I also did this when I helped wire up a 2013 ... for 2015 that box isn't offered since it seems they "tuned" outvthe issue from I was told.

Been so cold lately I haven't been out to play around with it...maybe next week
    Last edited by eriktreves; 12-29-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Eric,

did you ever get a chance to look at this since PRI?