Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing Power in a C5

Chasing Power in a C5

This thread is about this awesome 2002 automatic Corvette..

At the beginning this car was bone stock and low miles. Looked good and original under the hood..

We installed a bunch of bolt ons as per this thread right here: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=283009
    And ended up with a better look under the hood..

At this point we have installed arh headers, high flow cats with x, msd wires and insulators, ls2 intake manifold, ls2 throttle body, ls2 injectors, ls2 fuel rail, and vararam ram air. Here are the results from those bolt ons..

The first number was before any work was done. the next 3 are from tuning. I do not save datalogs but here is the tune file at this pointready to rock 1.hpt
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 12-05-2017 at 08:28 PM.

So we have a few other things to do to this car in preparation for the power adder. We need to get the rear of the car apart. One of the cooler things about the last 3 generations of corvette is the way that the entire driveline is one solid mass. The transmission mounts in the back of the car and the diff attaches directly to the transmission. Here we are sliding the diff off of the output shaft of the 4l60..

With the diff, trans, and torque tube removed we can see the huge channel that runs the length of the car. When the closeout plate is installed this channel becomes a box and the corvette can have a lot of power without a lot of flex..

Aside from a jasper transmission, we are also changing the diff and the torque tube..

So here is the torque tube. I have already removed the flexplate and large snap ring and removed the shaft..

The rubber couplers fail. And these have..

For the automatic corvettes this shaft is an extension of the crankshaft as the torque converter is behind this with the transmission. So any kind of play or slop in these couplers manifests itself as misfires in the engine controller. Unfortunately this is not a serviceable torque tube. GM stopped selling the parts to rebuild this and will only sell the whole torque tube now which is really a newer design. only for 02 and older auto. The couplers are different and these early ones had smaller diameter bolts that held the couplers and the bolts can shear. So here is the new torque tube from Chevrolet..

We are also changing the diff..

We are going from 2.73 to 3.42(z06)..

Here is the drivetrain re assembled..

And now we are ready for the suspension to go back together.

With the drivetrain jacked up to the floor of the car we are ready for the rear sub frame to go back in..

And here we are all back together..

We installed the electric cutouts a few weeks ago and have no dyno numbers or tuning work to show for it. It was done at the time for cool sounds only.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 12-07-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Now we can focus on getting that blower in this car..

Here is the blower installed..

I really wanted to figure out a way to keep some of the ram air functionality. But sadly the ram air inlets occupied the same space the intercooler is supposed to mount. So goodbye ram air..

A&A did a hell of a job designing this kit. Here is what it looks like from underneath..

I have seen setups where the heat exchanger or intercooler completely blocks the condenser and radiator and all air for these must first pass through the thick restrictive intercooler and most of these setups have overheating issues. But this is a very smart setup. Hat's off to the design team at A&A. really. the intercooler has its own scoop to force air in and through it and then the condenser and radiator can get their own air. Brilliant..

And the blower install is complete and we are just down to wiring in the new card style maf and the boost a pump..

And here we are all ready for the dyno and some tuning..

I strapped this down to the dyno at the very end of the day. Tomorrow we tune and find out what this setup is worth.

I know a lot of guys think these are a waste of money, but to that all I have to say is we are all only as good as the information we get and the knowledge we have. Here is my next book from The Tuning School..

This is actually one of the cheaper books. For anybody interested in gaining real knowledge in tuning, Here is a link to some very helpful at home courses: http://thetuningschool.com/

I finished tuning this c5. I have been having problems with the fn - print screen command on the shops pc lately so for now screenshot quality is reduced to cell phone pictures. I only logged 141kpa. here is what I got out of it..

the lean spikes at the end are from fuel cut while I was bouncing off the rev limiter. It was at 6200 and i walked it up 100 rpm at a time to 6500 and then backed it down to 6400. I am afraid of valve float. This LS1 engine is completely stock. But the blower really likes the rpms. I need to bring a usb thumbstick to work with me tomorrow and i will get my last tune file to attach to this thread. In the meantime I am wrapping this up just in time. For it is time to start on the next..

But that is for the gen v section.

Pretty solid. Thanks for sharing the tunes too.
    '15 Colorado Z71 | '07 TrailBlazer SS | '87 Monte Carlo SS | '80 Lemans Wagon

he is the 0791 car..

Not a 10 second run but this is it is the first time down the track for this new setup. There is a video of this making a pass..

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.scott...3305810453349/

So just to recap this car is a bone stock LS1 with a&a supercharger building just under 6psi, 60# ls2 injectors, ls2 intake manifold, ls2 throttle body, card style maf sitting in a 4" tube, 2 bar map(gm# 12615136), arh longtube headers, high flow cats, and X with 3" electric cutouts, a 2200 stall converter, a 3.42 z06 diff, And of course we have switched to a 2 bar os. Here is the tune file that made the above video:trans tuning 6.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for sharing the build. IMO, tuning school is the way to go if youre just starting out. I got that same book on sale. Haven't had the opportunity to tune an 8 speed yet

Update:

B15. This Motor Is a Genuine Bowtie LSX block, LSA crank, rods, And pistons, LS7 camshaft, LSX specific cylinder heads with 6 bolt per cylinder head bolt support and 68cc combustion chambers. This motor is radical beyond belief. And it comes from Chevrolet with a 2yr 50k mile warranty.

The magic to mating a LSA crankshaft to a c5 or c6 automatic torque tube is a c7 flexplate. While it is not the 9 bolts the LS9 uses it is still a lot of bolts on that hub.

This must be the fifth or sixth LSX I have installed in a c5 but the first B15. And it went in from the top..

Last edited by AutoWiz; 06-25-2018 at 07:21 PM.

To help the blower better handle the larger better breathing engine we installed it with a Innovators West 10% overdrive crank pulley..

And for cooling system upgrades we installed a DeWitts radiator with matched laser cut aluminum shroud with 2x spal fans that double the airflow rating over the stock fans. And we installed a new a/c condenser so the stack got the absolute best airflow.

Last edited by AutoWiz; 06-25-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Wow it has been a while. Well one evening on the turnpike on wet roads and less than stellar rear tires this C5 made an abrupt left turn and wnt into a wall at 74mph. This car was totaled. But before it went to the boneyard I personally extracted the LSX376-B15 engine, power adder and other parts. The damage was severe. I detailed this whole car's life and death here: https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...corvette.6045/

The owner of this car has since purchased a 2011 Grand Sport and I have installed everything back into it. The PERFECT donor car right? Z06 brakes and wheels and body but C6 steel frame. I installed everything back into the GS right here: https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...x376-b15.9500/

And we have been racing. Oh boy have we been racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGWT7H-Q9ug

Last edited by AutoWiz; 08-28-2019 at 07:34 PM.

But don't be fooled by the first person view of the GoPro Hero5 and the 10.1" capacitive touchscreen. MY car is just a 2000 C5..

Last edited by AutoWiz; 08-28-2019 at 07:48 PM.