Thread: HPTUNER NOOB,1st time LS builder

Tuner in Training

HPTUNER NOOB,1st time LS builder

Just completed my first LS build,a gen 3 5.3 with a Comp cam ect in a 01 1500 2wd.Im awaiting my HPTUNER pro package from Summit and researching HP through youtube while I wait.My question is this:can I DL and install a base tune from the HPTUNER library that will get me on the road for motor break in without damaging something?

I wouldn't suggest that.

No two engines are exactly the same so not every tune you see will be correct nor do you know if it's correct.

If you all you did was like a cam and headers it should run okay even on the stock calibration, enough to get a heat cycle in the engine or two. You're best off just reading up on tuning through the forum, investing in a wideband and tuning it on your own.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    ^^^What he said

Buy some books on tuning. Theres a guy on here that sells onine tuning material. I cant remember his name though. I bought from him before.

Take your time. READ READ READ.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Best money you will ever spend right here: http://thetuningschool.com/product/g...-3-x-software/

Contact Mowton on here,..,he has a good course and not near the money you'd spend with Tuningschool. Both are good, don't get me wrong, but, Ed's is what I bought/all I needed to get started-especially with the good people we have on this forum to help along the way.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Tuner in Training
    Thanx for the info!It fires and runs I just want to be safe.Ill check out Mowtowns course.