Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 Challenger Scatpack Active Exhaust

Advanced Tuner

15 Challenger Scatpack Active Exhaust

I see there are 4 modes, normal, sport, mds and drive-by noise, what that heck is drive-by noise mode ?

Hopefully dodge didn't have this is mind.

2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    hahaha

Drive-By Noise is due to regulatory constraints from somewhere. You'd have to ask some engineer at the OEMs familiar with it to get the full answer, but I've noticed it in multiple OEMs now. Ford has a "Pass-By" Noise limit, Dodge has "Drive-By" Noise limit.
    Both active in similar situations. I haven't figured out what state/country specifically they're for, but I know some states do have limitations on vehicle noise that most of these vehicles probably don't meet at WOT for sure.

Basically, this is a very specific mode designed to restrict noise output, its only active in certain conditions. For the Hellcat I found this stuff in, the conditions a set gear (3rd on manuals, 5th on automatics), for set speeds (30-40mph), engine coolant >100*F <235*F, pedal depressed a certain amount (>80% or so), air temperature less than a certain value, baro greater than certain value, etc.

If you're in this "Drive By" mode, a special torque limit is active (not yet mapped out, but it's on the "list of things to do"), and your active exhaust switches to this map (even if you're in track mode!) to reduce vehicle noise.

If anyone knows of a specific drive cycle that has a noise limit, it's probably for that, but I haven't found it. I can tell you however the specific Manual Hellcat cal I was looking at, had this limit such that in 3rd from 36-40mph torque is limited to 331lb.ft. Should be from about 1500-2000RPM if my math works out right.

I don't know if anyones ever noticed this in their vehicles or not when driving. I've been meaning to test in my own car, just haven't gotten around to it.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Steven, i did set that drive-by thing in mine to all 100's just in case, , normal is the only place where i limit the blade to 30, sport was all 100's, and now Drive-by is all 100's. i didn't touch MDS because i don't have MDS in mine (i have the M6 trans)

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone know if the Active Exhaust valves in these cars can be monitored, data-logged or some how watch they're position?

I've been experimenting with these settings on a couple of Hellcats now that we've got access to these parameters, and found this to be very helpful on the cars that have had Off-road pipes and things of that nature installed on them, that would normally dramatically increase noise, and above all make them rasp or frap more (no one likes that kind of racket around here, including me). Louder is good to some degree, but raspy, frappy, and too loud isn't good.

I was able to set the min MPH to "0" and lower all the values under light load, and lower RPM's, like under 3000rpm and got a couple of these Off-road equipped cars to get considerably quieter and greatly reduced frapping too.
    I actually put some of the setting well below stock,, like 2 to 5 in some portions of the tables and it worked. They go wide open in "track mode" even while just sitting at an idle and you can hear the noise and tone change on-the-fly while switching at an idle from any other mode to "track mode" and the car not moving.

There are other settings too that I'd like to play with; like what appears to be the setting for what position they are in when "starting up" the car and etc. they appear to be set at 100% at start up, and I'd like to see if lowering this value may take some of the big "Crack" and loud fire up they do when first starting them. Above all I'd want to make sure that at WOT and over 3000rpm or so (kind of like stock) that they always fully open up, regardless of what we do with some of the other settings.

Would be nice to be able to monitor them some how?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    Drive-By Noise is due to regulatory constraints from somewhere. You'd have to ask some engineer at the OEMs familiar with it to get the full answer, but I've noticed it in multiple OEMs now. Ford has a "Pass-By" Noise limit, Dodge has "Drive-By" Noise limit.
    Both active in similar situations. I haven't figured out what state/country specifically they're for, but I know some states do have limitations on vehicle noise that most of these vehicles probably don't meet at WOT for sure.

Basically, this is a very specific mode designed to restrict noise output, its only active in certain conditions. For the Hellcat I found this stuff in, the conditions a set gear (3rd on manuals, 5th on automatics), for set speeds (30-40mph), engine coolant >100*F <235*F, pedal depressed a certain amount (>80% or so), air temperature less than a certain value, baro greater than certain value, etc.

If you're in this "Drive By" mode, a special torque limit is active (not yet mapped out, but it's on the "list of things to do"), and your active exhaust switches to this map (even if you're in track mode!) to reduce vehicle noise.

If anyone knows of a specific drive cycle that has a noise limit, it's probably for that, but I haven't found it. I can tell you however the specific Manual Hellcat cal I was looking at, had this limit such that in 3rd from 36-40mph torque is limited to 331lb.ft. Should be from about 1500-2000RPM if my math works out right.

I don't know if anyones ever noticed this in their vehicles or not when driving. I've been meaning to test in my own car, just haven't gotten around to it.
    I also noticed that non-agressive driving seems to activate this, as an auto car will shift through a couple gears when it shouldn't based on the shift mapping, exhaust go quiet. Then if I let off the throttle, trans shifts down 2 gears (where it should be) and comes out of this drive-by mode situation. Setting the exhaust valve tables to 100 keeps the exhaust open, but car still randomly goes into this "mode" based on trans shifting, are guys looking into mapping the "performance factor" settings? There has be some kind of table that monitors the driving characteristics...

Quote Originally Posted by Lidio Iacobelli View Post
    Does anyone know if the Active Exhaust valves in these cars can be monitored, data-logged or some how watch they're position?

I've been experimenting with these settings on a couple of Hellcats now that we've got access to these parameters, and found this to be very helpful on the cars that have had Off-road pipes and things of that nature installed on them, that would normally dramatically increase noise, and above all make them rasp or frap more (no one likes that kind of racket around here, including me). Louder is good to some degree, but raspy, frappy, and too loud isn't good.

I was able to set the min MPH to "0" and lower all the values under light load, and lower RPM's, like under 3000rpm and got a couple of these Off-road equipped cars to get considerably quieter and greatly reduced frapping too.
    I actually put some of the setting well below stock,, like 2 to 5 in some portions of the tables and it worked. They go wide open in "track mode" even while just sitting at an idle and you can hear the noise and tone change on-the-fly while switching at an idle from any other mode to "track mode" and the car not moving.

There are other settings too that I'd like to play with; like what appears to be the setting for what position they are in when "starting up" the car and etc. they appear to be set at 100% at start up, and I'd like to see if lowering this value may take some of the big "Crack" and loud fire up they do when first starting them. Above all I'd want to make sure that at WOT and over 3000rpm or so (kind of like stock) that they always fully open up, regardless of what we do with some of the other settings.

Would be nice to be able to monitor them some how?

Thanks guys
    This is something we can do, I'll get it in our system to be added when someone has a little down time!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    I also noticed that non-agressive driving seems to activate this, as an auto car will shift through a couple gears when it shouldn't based on the shift mapping, exhaust go quiet. Then if I let off the throttle, trans shifts down 2 gears (where it should be) and comes out of this drive-by mode situation. Setting the exhaust valve tables to 100 keeps the exhaust open, but car still randomly goes into this "mode" based on trans shifting, are guys looking into mapping the "performance factor" settings? There has be some kind of table that monitors the driving characteristics...
    Yeah, so different cars have it set differently, but I've noticed the same thing on my own personal car. There is a flag to just disable the whole drive-by noise system that I think I'll get added to everything that we've added the active exhaust to. It also actively limits torque in that mode and its quite noticeable. If you have an auto, manually shift to 5th gear and accelerate from 35-45. At about 40mph you'll feel the torque ramp in as the limiter disappears.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Advanced Tuner
    Steven any chance you'll be inlcuding this new tables in the next release ? i'm runnig 1196 and this new tables for the active exhaust stuff are still not there.
    Thanks a lot for the hard work as always.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Steven any chance you'll be inlcuding this new tables in the next release ? i'm runnig 1196 and this new tables for the active exhaust stuff are still not there.
    Thanks a lot for the hard work as always.
    Please email support with your HPT file requesting they be added. I thought we had them in there for all cars with Active Exhaust but we may have missed a couple

Tuner in Training
    Drive By.png

Thank you HP !

Got the latest Beta this morning, and the "Drive-by mode" enable/disable is in there at least on the 2016 Hellcat tune I opened up first.

I cant say that I've experienced this "Drive-by mode" on my own Hellcat and others I've driving , including Scatpack cars too.
    At least not with how the trans went up or down thru gears, (and motor feel) at the conditions and speeds you guys have mentioned it may enable.. But as as soon as the salt is off the Michigan roads here soon, I'm going to disable the Drive-by mode on my own car and go from there.

Mostly looking forward to being able to see if the active exhaust valves can be monitored with HP-tuners.

Thanks again.

Advanced Tuner
    I see the option now Steven, thanks much, i thought i had downloaded the newest beta yesterday, but i have the new one now, and the toggle option is there, I'll give it a try.

Just to update you guys as well, we did get logging for the active exhaust added as well!

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Steven, is that logging portion inlcuded in 1196 ? i'd guess the PID name will be somethng obvious. but i'm not seeing anything in the scanner, i'll go and connect the laptop real quick in the car and see if the PID is only visible while connected ?

Advanced Tuner
    I looked everywhere, and i don't see anything in the scanner that will allow me to look at active exhaust valve position or status.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    I looked everywhere, and i don't see anything in the scanner that will allow me to look at active exhaust valve position or status.
    Try doing a "Repoll for Supported Parameters" in the menus. If that doesnt bring it in get an email to [email protected] as we may have missed your particular one!

Soooo, on my car at least, drive-by noise tab to disable...didn’t work. First cruise down the street car went 4-5-6 quick, then 6 to 4 abruptly to get out of “drive-by” mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    Soooo, on my car at least, drive-by noise tab to disable...didn’t work. First cruise down the street car went 4-5-6 quick, then 6 to 4 abruptly to get out of “drive-by” mode.
    Drive-by Mode is just a torque limit in the ECU and active exhaust control. All of the stuff I've found for it is ECM only, it shouldn't change how you're vehicle shifts at all. I disabled it on my own car without any weird effects. Like I said, its only active in a very restrictive case anyways.
    It actually shows up as one of the Throttle Torque Sources (or whatever its called) when active.

Drive-by Mode is just a torque limit in the ECU and active exhaust control. All of the stuff I've found for it is ECM only, it shouldn't change how you're vehicle shifts at all. I disabled it on my own car without any weird effects. Like I said, its only active in a very restrictive case anyways.
    It actually shows up as one of the Throttle Torque Sources (or whatever its called) when active.
    It seems very odd Steven, because when it does it on my car, it shifts into 4th when commanded by my shift tables, then 5th, then 6th like quick...which it should not do according to my shift tables. Shift tables in question are "sport" and all tables set the same. Once in 6th if I let off the throttle, it goes back to 4th right away. Only does this if I "baby" it. I may experiment with some unknown tables and see if I change them one at a time if it does it report back.

Advanced Tuner
    Try doing a "Repoll for Supported Parameters" in the menus. If that doesnt bring it in get an email to [email protected] as we may have missed your particular one!
    Thanks Steven, i did that and nothing happened, i opened a suport case with HPT, Ticket ID: 114308
    Also, since we're on the active exaust topic, it seems the valves are fully open by default on cold starts, but this doesn't seem to happen on hot starts, i've tried to use bank1/2 position, which by default is 100%, to quiet down a loud cold start, but this values doesn't seem to control that, could we have another setting not discovered yet that is allowing this behavior ? will be great to be able to control the valves upon cold starts, granted i'm going by what my ears are telling me, once we're able to see the valve position is, i'll know for sure whether or not this bank1/2 default setting is working, but so far i could almost bet money changing those values to 10% for example is still not preventing the valves from being fully open upon cold starts. she's very loud during cold starts, and lot less louder upon hot starts.
    Thanks a lot.