Thread: TCM T87a how to progam after unlock service

Potential Tuner

TCM T87a how to progam after unlock service

All, I received my T87a back from the unlock service, and now I am getting a powertrain control module programming malfunction code (PO-602) with a Transmission control system malfunction (PO700) codes.

I purchased another TCM (T87a) module and mailed this one in for the unlock service. Got back the module installed activated the TCM and PCM (8 credits- 4 each ) which was painful. made no changes saved the tune, disconnected laptop started up truck and got these codes. I also had a buzzing noise coming from the bottom of my truck which I assume is from the module not being programed (improper hydraulic fluid pressures?) etc.

Question: If I plug in the factory TCM (T87a) can I read the tune on it, save it and apply it to my unlocked TCM to get ride of these codes?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Potential Tuner
    Here is my tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2 - 8 speed.

2011 BMW 550i - TT N63 daily driver.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsworld76 View Post

Question: If I plug in the factory TCM (T87a) can I read the tune on it, save it and apply it to my unlocked TCM to get ride of these codes?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    T87a cannot be read at all. When you "read" the T87a with hpt, it just pulls a stock file off their system that matches your cal segments.

If your purchased T87a wasn't properly set up using GM software, it won't have any of the solenoid characteristic data in it for your transmission, and, if it worked at all, would probably set multiple codes pertaining to missing solenoid characteristic data. I'd recommend finding someone that can set up your TCM for your vehicle, using the GM software.

Good luck.

Tuner in Training
    I'm also curious on what the next steps are to tuning the tcm after having it unlocked.

So after getting my truck back from hennessey Performance Engineering. I was going to get the TCM87A unlocked by HP Tuners. On the back of the module is the last 4 of the VIN an order number and my last name. So if it is unlocked I can not retrieve the changes they made to the TCM because it can not be read? I would have to start over with a stock file and figure out how to tune the TCM? and if I flash to see if its definately unlocked I lose their hard work? how screwed up. This truck is pretty highly modified supercharger, ported heads, cam change etc.