Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing the RPM and Speed limiters (4 cyl 2.2/2.4L & 2.2 Ecotec engines & I6 4.2)

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by chevycrank09 View Post
    is there any programmer or anything that is compatible with a 98 cavalier that will prevent us from topping out at 108?
    Ours.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    so your programmer will work on a 98 chevy cavalier RS allowing me to raise my limiter past 108mph??? just make sure i got this right...if so where can i get it

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

Yes, that is what this thread explains how to do for your application.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    ya i feel kinda dum once i opened my eyes and checked lol if we are just upping the speed limiter we dont have to really change anything else do we?

ya i feel kinda dum once i opened my eyes and checked lol if we are just upping the speed limiter we dont have to really change anything else do we?
    Do you understand what this program is for? Do you understand what you can do with it? You said something about a supercharger install, how did you plan on tuning it?

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    well we slapped the supercharger on it to push out mor horsepower and to give it alil more torque now we were just trying to get it to push more than 108. Now that we got the supercharger, new intake, header, exhaust, throttle body we want to really open her up on the track and see what she can push wide open now, just didnt wanna hit 108 and it shut down the who research lol

Tuner in Training
    also im a n00b using a programmer this would definatly be my first time using one as i said earlier im a fabricator so ya lol ill make you anything you want outta fiberglass u want but far as that yaaaaa lol so any info is appreciated

well we slapped the supercharger on it to push out mor horsepower and to give it alil more torque now we were just trying to get it to push more than 108. Now that we got the supercharger, new intake, header, exhaust, throttle body we want to really open her up on the track and see what she can push wide open now, just didnt wanna hit 108 and it shut down the who research lol
    Sounds like an explosion waiting to happen.... Do you have a Wideband? Do you understand AFR? Have you done anything to the fuel system? Have the brakes/suspension/tires been upgraded? If any of these have been answered with a "NO", you have no reason to go over 108mph, especially on the street...

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    have a wide band and no to the rest see lol its good to ask questions i guess i would have to just order it and just let pur mechanic do it or take it some where in town to be done thanx for all the input as i am trying to learn from u guys plus research.ill just let him do it but still would like to know more, if u could point me somewhere to do some research it would be appreciated

Tuner in Training
    well actually mostly just a no about really knowing alot about air fuel ratio

Tuner in Training
    and we have the widebands to replace all th orignal O2 sensors

So you added a super charger, but how are you getting extra fuel? What super charger are you running? what motor is in this cavalier RS?

Tuner in Training
    The newest version of HP tuners will not let you set a fuel cutoff RPM of more than 6999 .This is on an operating system from a 2003 cavalier 2.2 ecotec .The old version I did the majority of my tuning with would let me set to 7000 or more .I just figured this out , 6999 or lower the value turns blue , above that it turns yellow and will not input when you try to write it to the vehicle .When I saved the value it was still blue .I closed the box to check the speed limiters that turned out to also be yellow and went back and the 6999 was yellow again .I had to save a # of 6900 and leave the box open while I wrote it to the car .I don't know if this has worked yet .I just got off night shift and too tired to drive right now .
    Last edited by wftb; 07-26-2016 at 09:56 AM. Reason: add more info

Tuner in Training
    Does not seem to have worked .When I get to 6000 RPM while running a scan , the tach on the computer turns red and the power drops right off .I wish I had never downloaded this new version .The ancient version (2.2?) I was using did everything I asked it to and was easier to use .

Tuner in Training
    I have finally got it to rev up to 7000 using WOT .It took a lot of comparing my old tunes and downloaded tunes to the tune that I ended up with , but what it all boiled down to was this :When I started using the new laptop and downloaded the new software , all the fueling and spark tables reverted to stock .I have no idea why , I am sure I probably managed to press the wrong button somewhere .Anyway , I had to add a whole bunch of spark advance to the HO table and to the HO PE table and I set the PE to 12 across the board with a 2500 RPM initiate .This is feeling really strong and the only negative is I have a bit of KR at 5000 rpm to tune out .It was so nice to finally see a big improvement .

Potential Tuner
    So I'm brand new to this. I need to up the rev limiter just a bit for the car I am working on. I was reading through this thread and just trying to compare the screen shots which seem to be from a previous version of the software to now. Are the values in the screen shots the stock values and I need to change them to fit what I am doing? Is there anything else I need to do for upping the rev limiter to 6900 or 7000
    Last edited by tlbjornson; 08-05-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbjornson View Post
    So I'm brand new to this. I need to up the rev limiter just a bit for the car I am working on. I was reading through this thread and just trying to compare the screen shots which seem to be from a previous version of the software to now. Are the values in the screen shots the stock values and I need to change them to fit what I am doing? Is there anything else I need to do for upping the rev limiter to 6900 or 7000
    Please tell us what car and what ECM and we'll be able to help.

If you post your tune it will be even better.