Thread: 2004 6.0 Converter Release not working.

2004 6.0 Converter Release not working.

Today I was building a tune that keeps the converter locked at 0% TPS and downshifts automatically threw the gears for exhaust braking, I set this all up to only work in tow haul.

Everything worked perfect except I tried modifying the 6 gear converter release table so it wont keep the converter locked with 0% tps in normal drive mode. Whatever I set this table to it wont release the converter until like 1000rpm /50kmph I set it at 160km thinking it should always be under that speed and release, that didn't work then I thought maybe it was out of range or something and tried lower values like 100kph and nothing works. I have logged it and it has no desire to unlock when this map says it should. I think we might be missing something?
    Trans.PNG
    Anyone else have trans experience?

Look in Transmission > General , and find the Torque Based Shift Schedule switch. Try disabling that. On the newer Fords, there 2 switches. One for Torque Based Converter Control, and this one. On the older vehicles (and thus older Ford logic) there was only one switch, but it affected both the shift schedule and TCC lockup.

The PCM uses a combination of the shift and lockup tables, and some other torque based decision making that sometimes gets in the way. I plan on mapping out the parameters for the torque based side of it soon, but for now, if you just flip that off it should do EXACTLY what you tell it to do. If it doesn't, email support with your file and we can see if something else is preventing it from doing what is requested.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Ok I will give that a try next week, I did notice some of the other downshifts I had commanded in tow haul weren't exactly where I had asked them to be but they were reasonably close. That would explain it I guess.

Thanks