Thread: I'm new and i messed up.

Potential Tuner

I'm new and i messed up.

06 chevy suburban 5.3. Changed stoich to account for e10 in my area and now truck wont start and i cant detect protocol or vin for the truck. Have i bricked my PCM? How can i fix this if at all?

Potential Tuner
    Well class 2 serial data is down on a bunch of other modules. I bricked it. I have 2 other PCMS here that will work as per my GM parts guy. What is the prosess for PCM replacement. Install PCM use scanner to change vin first and then load my original tune that i pulled first time using hp and write entire?

Senior Tuner
    Since you are new I would only use another PCM that has the exact same service # on the label. Then write entire the new PCM with the original tune file you read out of the vehicle. You will have to license the new PCM. HP Tuners requires you have a license for what is in the PCM you are writing to and the file you are writing to it. Then you will have to do a 30 minutes VATS relearn. This all applies only if you are using a used PCM that already has a vehicle calibration in it. If it is a new or reman PCM that typically come blank you will not be able to write anything to it. And being an 06, if you by chance have an aftermarket radio in it, pull the radio and radio amp fuses first or if you have an aftermarket remote start or alarm, look for a wire spliced into the purple wire on the ALDL plug and disconnect it before writing anything.

Potential Tuner
    I have an aftermarket alarm and radio. Is that what caused this in the first place? I dont have a PCM that has the same service # but they are superceded #s for my truck
    Last edited by Miata347; 12-14-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Aftermarket radio's have been known to cause problems with reading/writing computers.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Swapped pcms i can communicate via Aultel. Reinstalled original pcm. Can comunicate via aultel but class 2 data is down and it wont read vin or live data but can get calibration ids. Is it salvageable? Going to disconnect radio and alarm.

Senior Tuner
    It seems to be the chime adapters used between aftermarket radios and the vehicle wiring harness. Some seem to cause problems by interfering with the data bus. It's only an issue on 03-07 classic trucks, SUVs. The alarms/remote starts that tie into the data wire on the ALDL plug must be disconnected. And unless the service # is only 1 digit off from what you have I would not use it. Too many times salvage yards have told me a different service # pcm would interchange with what I was wanting only to find out it wouldn't work.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    It seems to be the chime adapters used between aftermarket radios and the vehicle wiring harness. Some seem to cause problems by interfering with the data bus. It's only an issue on 03-07 classic trucks, SUVs. The alarms/remote starts that tie into the data wire on the ALDL plug must be disconnected. And unless the service # is only 1 digit off from what you have I would not use it. Too many times salvage yards have told me a different service # pcm would interchange with what I was wanting only to find out it wouldn't work.
    extend that to 02 trucks as well. You can read and write to them without removing the plug, just has to be low speed.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Potential Tuner
    2xLS1 I appreciate your time and help. Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Had a buddy stop by with gm TIS2 web and j tool and was able to load PCM with original software and vindicate PCM. Back up and running. So i imagine it was the radio and the alarm being on the bus that caused this blunder. Not changing the stoich to 14.3 for e10 correct?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    extend that to 02 trucks as well. You can read and write to them without removing the plug, just has to be low speed.
    I've never had that issue on any P1 PCM. And I've read and written hundreds of them. Only on P59s. I believe it has something to do with the RAP on the 03-07 classics. I know it is the chime adapters that cause it when there is an issue.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I've never had that issue on any P1 PCM. And I've read and written hundreds of them. Only on P59s. I believe it has something to do with the RAP on the 03-07 classics. I know it is the chime adapters that cause it when there is an issue.
    What's RAP? I have an 05 (p59)with a aftermarket stereo and remote start that has no issue with flashing.

Senior Tuner
    Retained Accessory Power. What I find is that some chime adapters seem work better than others. I've had 03-07 Classic vehicles with A/M radios that read and write fine. I've had some that won't read or write unless the radio and radio amp fuses are pulled, and I've had some with A/M radios that either have to be pulled and the chime adapter unplugged from the factory harness, or the blue connector pulled on the PCM and a bench harness plugged in to read and write.