Thread: HP Tuners VCM, FORscan, and 6.0L Tuning Parameters

Tuner in Training

HP Tuners VCM, FORscan, and 6.0L Tuning Parameters

I see a lot of people mentioning using FORscan, but are they using the HPTuners cable interface to connect through FORscan or running a different set of cables?

Sorry, I'm a tech and wanting to know. I have access to IDS (shop shared), but want my own dedicated setup that I can use. FORscan is pretty powerful, and would suffice in most circumstances. Tuning my 6.0L would be also be a plus. Ive got a Quarterhorse to tune my EECV Mustang. I had HPTuners to tune my old turbo Cavalier back in the day, around 2008. But I am unfamiliar with what I'm working to adjust on a Diesel. Based on other peoples posts, you pretty much just want to add a little desired fuel mass down low, a little timing, and change desired boost by a little bit.

Don't forget to disable, or increase the torque management settings.

And the tuning just depends on what YOU really want out off the truck. There are some good tow tunes posted in here, and the repository has a good performance tune that I used as a base starting point. There's not a lot of people tuning these 6.0's apparently with hp tuners, so be patient, people will help, it just takes then a lot longer than it does over in the GM LS forum lol..

i love playing with mine i can't get it perfect where i want it im either really laggy and smoky or im clean and fast boosting but not as much power as before mention once it lights and as far as timing goes i have played with just timing on it up and down and i can't tell any difference on boost or take off hell i put 10* down low it idled like crap but didn't pull no harder on a take off

Tuner in Training
    Ill have to check out those tow tunes. Being a Ford tech in a small town, we see a lot of 6.0L diesels. Many of them are on canned tunes. I guess I could always read them and see what kind of stuff they are doing.

I'm waiting on someone to come through our shop with one of the big named can tunes just to see if there's any differences. My truck pulls real hard now, but I think I have a small boost leak because it won't get past 22 lbs. no matter what I try.

Quote Originally Posted by bradearlywine View Post
    I see a lot of people mentioning using FORscan, but are they using the HPTuners cable interface to connect through FORscan or running a different set of cables?
    Pretty sure you can't use a HP Tuner cable with forscan, like damn near 100% sure. I use a cheapo elm bluetooth thing ive had for years, you can also go an amazon and search forscan and buy a proper unit for like $20.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    To get most out of your tune you can leave boost stock or go slightly above. You want mass fuel desired on the top row to start at around 70 and work up to 100+ if you want some balls to the wall power. Change your pedal map as well and copy paste to the pedal map copy. Your mass fuel desired is where you get your power pedal map is just telling the computer ok this is fuel flow I want.

Yeah,I think I'm maxed out on fuel our something as well. I've good all the fuel tables over 150 and she hauls, but I think I'm just used to it already..not sure what to do in this ficm short of adding fuel in the upper thresholds, I increased then to 23-2400. I get no smoke, just a light haze.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
    Pretty sure you can't use a HP Tuner cable with forscan, like damn near 100% sure. I use a cheapo elm bluetooth thing ive had for years, you can also go an amazon and search forscan and buy a proper unit for like $20.
    Thanks. I was hoping that would make things easier, but your right... It doesn't work. Just got my HPTuners in yesterday and its a no go on FORscan. That's a shame.. HPT Scanner leaves a LOT to be desired. Actually, I don't have access to the most basic PIDS for diagnostic or tune adjustment unless I'm using the shops IDS.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by qwkvert View Post
    I'm waiting on someone to come through our shop with one of the big named can tunes just to see if there's any differences. My truck pulls real hard now, but I think I have a small boost leak because it won't get past 22 lbs. no matter what I try.
    Ive read a couple of canned tunes off the same year truck as mine. There really isn't much adjustments. Looks like they basically selected a section of tables and hit "ADD 250" or whatever. Not much fine tuning done. The biggest thing i see is for the HPOP controls and fooling ICP. They are getting much higher pressures than stock by commanding more (4206) AND adjusting the transfer on the ICP. Told the truck that at 4.5v its only at 3400ish psi, leading up to a 5.56V is 3200ish psi. Nothing special.
    Another example is the pedal map. Aside from the bottom 2 rows, this canned tune pretty much takes the pedal map and multiplies by 1.1%.

I'm not sure how appropriate it is to give out tune information from a company like above, but at the same time those canned tunes really are just quickly throw together.

EDITED** Removed some misinformation and removed company name.
    Last edited by bradearlywine; 01-20-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradearlywine View Post
    Thanks. I was hoping that would make things easier, but your right... It doesn't work. Just got my HPTuners in yesterday and its a no go on FORscan. That's a shame.. HPT Scanner leaves a LOT to be desired. Actually, I don't have access to the most basic PIDS for diagnostic or tune adjustment unless I'm using the shops IDS.
    Are you on Beta? I believe most of our scanning for these is still on Beta only. If you're not, give [email protected] a ring for access to Beta to take a look.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    Are you on Beta? I believe most of our scanning for these is still on Beta only. If you're not, give [email protected] a ring for access to Beta to take a look.
    I just got on beta yesterday, I haven't got to look what I can scan yet. I'm hoping it will access some stuff I need for logging.

Tuner in Training
    I made a new topic regarding missing parameters.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomEnthusiast View Post
    To get most out of your tune you can leave boost stock or go slightly above. You want mass fuel desired on the top row to start at around 70 and work up to 100+ if you want some balls to the wall power. Change your pedal map as well and copy paste to the pedal map copy. Your mass fuel desired is where you get your power pedal map is just telling the computer ok this is fuel flow I want.
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I?m having some trouble finding a mass fuel desired table on my 03 6.0 Excursion . I do have a 80 hp FICM tuned by php, and so I don?t have access to the FICM module at all. Is that where this table lives?