Thread: Has anyone thought about logging brake pressure, steering angle, or G-forces?

Advanced Tuner

Has anyone thought about logging brake pressure, steering angle, or G-forces?

I'm thinking about how I might go about getting sensors installed to be able to log brake pressure, steering angle, and maybe G forces (lateral and/or fore/aft). Has anyone thought about doing this yet? I searched this forum but came up empty.

My '05 GTO has a sub-menu in the instrument cluster that can display brake voltage. I've never really watched it to see if it varies with pedal pressure or not. I'll have to check it out this afternoon. If it does, is there a way to get it as a PID? For steering angle, I'm not sure what type of sensor to use or where it would mount. I'm thinking that there must be a way to measure right on the rack. For G forces, I'm sure an accelerometer could be placed in the car though I don't know much about their usage.

I've just started thinking about this so if anyone has any thoughts, feel free to dump them here. I have a few friends who run actual data acquisition systems in their race cars so I'm sure they can help me out on a few of my questions.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

Senior Tuner
    I have built a 2-axis accelerometer and logged it
    with the EIO. Figure a steering angle sender could
    be rigged with a simple potentiometer and pulley
    (though calibration, you're on your own) off the
    steering shaft.

Those PID's are usually part of the Traction Control System/Stability System. I don't think we can log those yet.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like we need an enhancement then. I spoke with a friend who installed an AIM system on a C5 Z06 T1 car a couple of years ago. The system used the steering angle sensor from the car (BCM?) as well as the brake voltage. The Corvette uses these in the Active Handling. However, the GTO doesn't have any sort of stability control, just traction control.

Ken/Chris/Keith - What are the chances that we could see/log some of these things (if they exist in a particular vehicle) in the near future? I'd love to use my HPT box as a cheap roadrace data acquisition system.

Thanks.
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

no plans for anything other than pcm/ecm/tcm scanning at this time.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...