Thread: Knock Retard Scanner Update : VCM Suite Beta 3.7.951+

Knock Retard Scanner Update : VCM Suite Beta 3.7.951+

Reporting Knock on Ford has been confusing in the past.

Our Knock Retard parameter shows positive value to be actual knock retard, and a negative value being the PCM adding timing over what is being commanded. I made it report this way so that the default scanner config with knock retard would show properly in VCM Scanner graphs and dashboard.

Today we created a new parameter, "Knock Correction" that reports the same data as Knock Retard, but the output is scaled so that a positive value is adding timing, and a negative value is pulling timing (from knock). This new parameter will not be selected in the default configs or show on the charts unless you add it.

This change makes the global and individual cylinder modes of knock control report values the same way.

I hope this clears up any confusion.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuning Addict
    Thank You Eric... Makes tuning on Fords for those of us who don't tune them daily a little easier to remember
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post

Our Knock Retard parameter shows positive value to be actual knock retard, and a negative value being the PCM adding timing over what is being commanded. I made it report this way so that the default scanner config with knock retard would show properly in VCM Scanner graphs and dashboard.

Today we created a new parameter, "Knock Correction" that reports the same data as Knock Retard, but the output is scaled so that a positive value is adding timing, and a negative value is pulling timing (from knock). This new parameter will not be selected in the default configs or show on the charts unless you add it.

This change makes the global and individual cylinder modes of knock control report values the same way.

so "Knock correction" is it's own PID and as long as i don't pick it to log in channels, my KR will still work like normal right? (-) being timing added and (+) being timing pulled?

Can we still log both knock correction and Knock retard to make sure it adds up, say correction shows +3, than KR should show -3

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    so "Knock correction" is it's own PID and as long as i don't pick it to log in channels, my KR will still work like normal right? (-) being timing added and (+) being timing pulled?

Can we still log both knock correction and Knock retard to make sure it adds up, say correction shows +3, than KR should show -3
    Yes, both parameters are available to log at the same time.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post

You can log both at the same time and confirm it through the OAR as well.

Very nice....
    Use to tuning GM, always tripped me out initially ha

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post

Is this new parameter only for Copperhead and up or is it also for the 2010 GT500 which received knock sensors as well? If the knock correction parameter is also for it is it simply reverse like the knock retard currently is?

Quote Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
    Is this new parameter only for Copperhead and up or is it also for the 2010 GT500 which received knock sensors as well? If the knock correction parameter is also for it is it simply reverse like the knock retard currently is?
    It will show up on any Ford vehicle that reports the parameter we call Knock Retard. Basically that parameter will be available to be selected as both "Knock Retard" which is consistent with how "Retard" is interpreted (positive = retard, negative = advance), and "Knock Correction" which is additive and how Ford actually uses the parameter (positive = advance, negative = retard).

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    It will show up on any Ford vehicle that reports the parameter we call Knock Retard. Basically that parameter will be available to be selected as both "Knock Retard" which is consistent with how "Retard" is interpreted (positive = retard, negative = advance), and "Knock Correction" which is additive and how Ford actually uses the parameter (positive = advance, negative = retard).
    Steven I was under the impression that when Eric made the changes regarding how knock is interpreted in this post (https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...Positive+knock) that he made the change only for Copperhead and Tricore meaning the Spanish Oak ecu's interpret opposite like so:

Copperhead and Tricore Processors
    positive value = KNOCK
    negative value = PCM Adding timing

Spanish Oak and older Processors
    positive value = PCM Adding timing
    negative value = KNOCK

A. is the above correct?
    B. is the new parameter (Knock Correction) simply opposite whichever way your ecu reads Knock Retard. Would that be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
    Steven I was under the impression that when Eric made the changes regarding how knock is interpreted in this post (https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...Positive+knock) that he made the change only for Copperhead and Tricore meaning the Spanish Oak ecu's interpret opposite like so:

Copperhead and Tricore Processors
    positive value = KNOCK
    negative value = PCM Adding timing

Spanish Oak and older Processors
    positive value = PCM Adding timing
    negative value = KNOCK

A. is the above correct?
    B. is the new parameter (Knock Correction) simply opposite whichever way your ecu reads Knock Retard. Would that be correct?
    Ah okay, this is something I misunderstood when you asked. I see what you're asking now.

The idea is to make them all the same. The older Oak processors reported Knock Retard as you're saying. We're updating these to rename Knock Retard to Knock Correction to be consistent.
    The goal is so that anything reporting "Knock Retard", +Retard/-Advance, "Knock Correction", +Advance/-Retard

The Oak processors will have this update in a soon-coming Beta, but yes, at this point "Knock Retard" for the Oak and older work that way.

This confusion is part of why we're updating all of these to be consistent.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    Ah okay, this is something I misunderstood when you asked. I see what you're asking now.

The idea is to make them all the same. The older Oak processors reported Knock Retard as you're saying. We're updating these to rename Knock Retard to Knock Correction to be consistent.
    The goal is so that anything reporting "Knock Retard", +Retard/-Advance, "Knock Correction", +Advance/-Retard

The Oak processors will have this update in a soon-coming Beta, but yes, at this point "Knock Retard" for the Oak and older work that way.

This confusion is part of why we're updating all of these to be consistent.
    Thank you Steven for the clarification!

Tuner in Training
    Trying to scan an 04 F150 3v 5.4 - MPVI2 and VCM software 4

The only Knock PID's I can find are Sensor Voltage 1 & 2. Is there anything else I can search for?