Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 6.0 Fuel Limiter Issue

2004 6.0 Fuel Limiter Issue

Anyone have any ideas why this map wont limit the fuel quantity like I'm asking it to?
    Fuel Limit.PNG

I want to limit the fuel while the engine is cold. I had to modify the engine coolant temp axis however it doesn't seem to work.

When I log it when its cold it doesn't limit fuel at all.

im trying to increase my fuel beyond 78mg i logged a run lastnight and at 3000 rpm is the highest mg i get and its 78 79mg when my tuning is supposed to be at 150mg

Most of us can get 100 max. That's all I get.

Yeah, even with the ficm tuned, I can't get smoke to happen (that's how I know of my fuel changes take). It runs good, but I hit a wall at about 2900 rpms. It just doesn't pull any more.

yea only time i get smoke is if the turbo lags

Same here. Brake boost,I can get lots of smoke. Other than that, ain't happening.

I wonder if I'm hitting a defuel limit at 22lbs? That's all she'll push then goes flat.

Is there any possibility my ebp sensor is actually still alive (old flash maybe) and it's limiting my boost? If so, it's there a way to tune it out?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by qwkvert View Post
    Is there any possibility my ebp sensor is actually still alive (old flash maybe) and it's limiting my boost? If so, it's there a way to tune it out?
    Do you have a tune file to look at?

Quote Originally Posted by bradearlywine View Post
    Do you have a tune file to look at?

Tuner in Training
    Your tune shows a 2006 truck.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but the EBP will still be used as an input. The EBP was removed on 03-early 04. Ford went to an inferred strategy because of problems with turbo learn. Late 04+ trucks no longer have turbo learn. On Ford IDS, it would be easily confirmed by looking at available pids. Inferred strategy only shows a EBP_INF pid, whereas a later calibration shows EBP_A (actual) and EBP_G (gauge).

Tuner in Training
    I notice your tune is both biasing the ICP and changing the FICM PW tables, which isn't recommended. How does it drive? It would seem you would be way past emptying the stock injectors. The way I hear is 108 is it. If you log your truck, what is mass fuel desired? What about estimated torque output?

My experience with this engine is through the dealer as a tech, so I am still learning to tune these 6.0L engines. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.. IMHO I think a few areas you should focus is adjusting all 4 tables of EBP desired (egr on and off) even if your valve is deleted. Your low altitude tables are pretty much untouched. If you are currently in Melbourne FL, you would definitely be considered low altitude. Take a look at your Max fuel quantity vs ECT table, then look at your turbocharger OPEN LOOP DC. You should probably go fine tune your torque calculation tables, mainly by reducing them.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Use open loop vgt controls to increase boost.

I'll post up some of the modifications I made, but to answer the question about how it runs...strong to me. In 4wd, a brake boost launch will hop the front tires a bit, and it's gone. From a roll, up to about 75 I run dead even with my brothers 06 4.7 tundra double cab 2wd, then I start pulling away.I think I am out of fuel at this point, I need to figure out the lock up tables, and it will be done. Ok brake boost, it'll but 30lbs, and in 6th locked it will hit 30 now as well. Pretty sure it was in my ebp settings

Tuner in Training
    Glad to help.

The truck watchs EBP and closes the vanes on the turbo (increases duty cycle) so that EBP (minus baro) will match desired EBP. Open loop duty cycle would control the VGT in the event of a failed EBP sensor. At least, that's how I understand it. You can log and compare for yourself if needed. I verified on my truck, a 2006 as well.

I've been messing around a lot with lock up tables. Not a big fan of the hot lock. Mainly I adjusted shift points to get 3rd to 5th earlier and lock up in 5th at lower speed. Under less throttle, I hold 5th a little longer with tcc, and lowered tcc lock speeds in 5th. I then also have 6th tcc locked almost immediately. The 6th gear tcc apply tables are 16mph under stock at 700 app, 8mph under stock at 375 app and wot. Interpolated between.

I started holding 5th a little longer because with my lower tcc locks at light throttle right around 42mph like a residential road would hit 6th and lock and feel a little luggy to me. I just got this 6.0L and before that I had a 7.3 6sp for many years, so I do like the locked 6th gear. Makes me feel at home, and tcc slip in 6th cant be good for trans temp OR fuel mileage.
    Last edited by bradearlywine; 01-20-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by qwkvert View Post
    Same here. Brake boost,I can get lots of smoke. Other than that, ain't happening.
    Hey, in regards to this, if you want smoke you can retard the ignition timing. Probably go back to stockish and she should smoke with the way the rest of your tune is set.

As far as I know the EBP isn't used for boost post 04 late. But it could have an older strategy.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomEnthusiast View Post
    As far as I know the EBP isn't used for boost post 04 late. But it could have an older strategy.
    You have it backwords. Like I mentioned above, the 03-early 04's use inferred strategy and no longer look at actual EBP. I verified on my 2006 with data logger that the truck is controlling vgt by desired EBP. In my log, EBP fits within the commanded values whereas VGT DC% does not match open loop table commands.
    Last edited by bradearlywine; 01-21-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradearlywine View Post
    You have it backwords. Like I mentioned above, the 03-early 04's use inferred strategy and no longer look at actual EBP. I verified on my 2006 with data logger that the truck is controlling vgt by desired EBP. In my log, EBP fits within the commanded values whereas VGT DC% does not match open loop table commands.
    I would have to agree with this, as my truck(2005) makes more boost now after modifying the ebp settings only.

Huh. Ok. I thought it was the other way around. Ohh well. Now that I know that I'll look at ebp tables.