Thread: Towing a Jeep Wrangler

Towing a Jeep Wrangler

I have been building up my Jeep Wrangler for about 5 years. It is now to the point that driving it on the highway is very uncomfortable (35" mud tires and 4.88 gears). I recently bought a Ram Rebel to use as a tow vehicle. In Florida, if you are towing a vehicle and it weighs more than 3000 pounds, it must have its own brakes. There are quite a few solutions out there, most over $1000. They either have a device that pushes the brake pedal or uses the towing vehicles brake system to activate the towed vehicles brakes. Both types are cumbersome and expensive.

Now my idea. With most vehicles having some sort of traction control system, I know that the vehicles computer can apply the breaks. I would think that HP Tuners could be set up to use the electric braking system from the towing vehicle (in my case the Ram) to proportionally activate the brakes in the towed vehicle (Jeep Wrangler). I believe you would need a vacuum system but that would be an easy addition.

This could open up a whole new market and would be a huge improvement over what is currently out there. Any thoughts?
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    are you flat towing or using a trailer?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Flat towing
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Flat towing has far less tongue weight compared to using a trailer. Braking power capabilities are the main area to focus on in a flat towing situation. The Owners/service manual for the RAM should state the max limit, if not, the OEM should be able to provide you with this. As long as it's within specs, I don't see how a blanket weight rating without further explanation could be reg'd ?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Florida law requires any vehicle being towed that weighs more than 3000# must have its own brakes and a break away device. Not worth the liability to tow without brakes.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock