Thread: Major DOD lifter failures on Gen V swaps

Major DOD lifter failures on Gen V swaps

Unfortunately a major problem has came about when doing gen V engine and transmission swaps. I have seen multiple cylinder 7 DOD lifter fails.

The score so far

L86 engines - 2 engines so far
    L83 Engines - 3 engines so far. One of the engines had the lifter fail 3 times!

I am thinking the valley cover oiling system is having an issue. We have not replaced the valley cover and gm did update the valley cover to help fix the issue.

Either the lifter collapses or a pin breaks internally to the lifter. Stock tunes with only very basic mods to get the vehicles driving. Rev limiter is stock and the vehicles are driven normal and not beat on. I can not for the life of me figure out why this is happening. Any ideas why a lifter would fail so easily? It seems like a lack of lubrication. DOD is turned off in the tune

Yep. Had an L86 lose #7 intake lifter a couple of years ago and broke the intake valve spring. Melted the intake too. As per GM's TSB did the valley cover/oil manifold. They have been beating on it every since with no issues. AFM/DOD turned off of course.
    Last edited by IARLLC; 12-25-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Tuner in Training
    have had the same issue on some of my buddys trucks #7 aswell...1 of them is getting cammed now should fix the problem..

Potential Tuner
    Purchased my truck with 21k miles 2015 gmc sierra. One month of ownership and 3 lifter failures within 3k miles. Last time replaced oil manifold and hasn't happen since currently 32k miles. DOD was disabled every time.

I guess i will wait to tune mine. I do the dod delete kit first to avoid this

Tuner in Training
    Anybody got a link to the TSB? Or maybe some aftermarket parts to solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwineo View Post
    Anybody got a link to the TSB? Or maybe some aftermarket parts to solve the problem?
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...78567-7690.pdf