Thread: D1SC: VE TUNING not going as planned

Potential Tuner

D1SC: VE TUNING not going as planned

I'm sure this has been covered before but I have had enough chasing my tail with this tune. I was wondering if someone could take a look at my tune file and see what's going on with the car. Car is saying it's running super rich but is showing way lean. Got my wideband connected and the last few changes to VE has made the car run like crap. This is week two with VE changes. Nothing seems to help. I'm two weeks into this and just need some guidance.
    Car: 2002 Camaro SS stock LS1
    Mods: D1SC running 8 lbs. Speed Engineer 1 7/8 headers, ORY. 60lb Siemens Deka injectors
    Attached Files Attached Files

Pump the brakes a minute here.

You are trying to tune a boosted setup while running a 1 bar MAP not made for boost and a 1 bar factory tune. You may want install a 2 bar MAP sensor, run a 2 bar MAP tune so you can properly tune your VE table.

Also logging your MAF channels can skew all your speed density tuning.

Next you must put your open loop EQ ratio back to 1.00 for all tuning done at operating temp. You can't have your commanded open loop EQ jumping around all over the place, it must stay flat at 14.63 to match your stoich ratio. You tune the VE table to bring your actual AFR in to match your commanded AFR. Disable your short term trims when tuning with a wideband, use the wideband to create a AFR error or Lambda error to dial in your fueling.

Tune part throttle first to get it driving good then work on getting into boost still using your AFR or Lambda error. That error will always show you how far off of the commanded you are and will slowly bring everything in line.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Pump the brakes a minute here.

You are trying to tune a boosted setup while running a 1 bar MAP not made for boost and a 1 bar factory tune. You may want install a 2 bar MAP sensor, run a 2 bar MAP tune so you can properly tune your VE table.

Also logging your MAF channels can skew all your speed density tuning.

Next you must put your open loop EQ ratio back to 1.00 for all tuning done at operating temp. You can't have your commanded open loop EQ jumping around all over the place, it must stay flat at 14.63 to match your stoich ratio. You tune the VE table to bring your actual AFR in to match your commanded AFR. Disable your short term trims when tuning with a wideband, use the wideband to create a AFR error or Lambda error to dial in your fueling.

Tune part throttle first to get it driving good then work on getting into boost still using your AFR or Lambda error. That error will always show you how far off of the commanded you are and will slowly bring everything in line.
    Thanks 5FDP. Ordered the 2 bar tonight. And disabled STFT's. Question for Open Loop EQ ratio. Did you say put all ratios to 1.00?.. Or should I put my stock tune values back in?

Tuner in Training
    I used the stock table, just made all the cells between 140 and 230 1.00, only needed to change a handful of cells.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks! I will give that a try tomorrow morning.

Yeah sorry, just the sections where the engine is up to operating temp. They run richer when cold to help keep it running smoother, get it warmer quicker and for emissions reason. Once it's past 130-140 it can be 1.00 to keep it at stoich in open loop.

As far the 2 bar MAP goes. Once you get your new sensor you can click the OS tab and look at your different OS options that your computer gives you. Being that you are only running 8psi, using the 2 BAR OS will work fine. If you choose in the future to go higher than 14psi at some point you could either pick the 3 bar OS right away or revert back to your stock tune and choose the 3 BAR at a later date. (always keep a copy of your stock files for this reason and many others).

Your new OS will apply "generic" linear and offset settings for the MAP sensor. You will need to input the exact settings for whatever MAP sensor you purchased, sometimes they are different than what is given with the OS. A new boost enrichment table will be given to you as well, very helpful with tuning commanded fueling once you reach boost. A longer extended VE table will given that you will have to populate. Might be best to apply your stock VE data for the 15-105kpa section and create a "starting" VE from 105-210, then work the table from there.

Copy over your injector data or anything else you need to from previous tunes you've been working with. You can fail the MAF the same way you have been and start tuning.

Any other things, just ask. Most of the setup is pretty simple and several people can help along the way.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.