Thread: E39 VSS input pin

Potential Tuner

E39 VSS input pin

Can anyone confirm which pin the E39 ECU uses for VSS signal input? I have the 2012 GM Fbody service manuals, the manual transmission VSS circuit schematics indicate pin X2 43 but the ECU chart in the same set of manuals indicate X2 43 is for the MAP sensor signal! It's rather cold out to trace circuits with a multi meter.

My ECU is an E39 from a 2012 Camaro, engine harness I'm using was also for a 2012 Camaro, manual transmission.

The LFX engine is swapped into a Suzuki Samurai and has a mechanical speedometer driven off the T-Case so I don't need the VSS signal for the speedometer. I completed the swap a couple years ago and other than setting the default trans limit to 1000 and maybe a couple other things to get it to REV to the red line haven't really done any other tuning but probably should. With the tune as is it's stupid quick for a lifted Samurai but some proper tuning should refine it a little...

Once I get into tuning it would be nice to have vehicle speed readout for logging etc..

Thanks!!

Potential Tuner
    Need to know the same thing! But JMFT you did get the motor to run up to full rpm and hp? Without a vss input? Do you mind sharing your tune file...? I am swapping a 2015 LFX from an impala into my sand car and modifying the harness. I will be buying a 2012 manual trans camaro e39 ecm and ditching this e39a before i even start the wiring but i will need some type of starting point. Any info would help I live in Michigan not sure but i thought i saw you posting somewhere else that you to are from MI? my phone number is 616-594-8007 if you have any useful info for me, if i figure out the pinout soon for the vss i will let you know as i am getting the wiring sheets from a friend at the dealership.
    Build: Sand Limo Long Travel Buggy
    2015 3.6L LFX Engine from an Impala
    60mm Turbonetics (planning on 8psi)
    Mendeola 2d Transaxle

So the 2012 LFX service manual shows X2 pin 43 which is also the map sensor signal. Now a 2013 LFX shows X2 pin 8 as the VSS signal and X2 pin 43 as Map signal. I would say the 2012 manual was a typo.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry for the delay, haven't been online in a while. Attached is the latest tune I'm running. It wont go to full throttle until above 4000 RPM but will run up to the redline. It's been a while since I looked at the tune, but I believe all I changed was the 'default trans limit' table in the torque management section (made all the values 1000 N-m) and set the 'Cutoff RPM vs gear' (under the 'Cutoff, DFCO' tab) values to 7100 RPM for all gears including park and neutral. Not sure if the latter did anything or not. I quickly cross checked a manual transmission tune a while ago, the default trans limit was set the same way. Give that a go and if you're still not able to fully rev it out, let me know and I'll go back through the tune and try to figure out what else I may have done. One of these days once I work out some of the drive line and steering gremlins I'll get back to the tune and see if I can get it to go full throttle at lower RPMs.

veee8: Thanks for posting the pin out info! I have the entire 2012 Fbody service manuals from GM and saw the same thing. I have a manual transmission engine harness from a 2012 Camaro, double checked the VSS, circuit, the input definitely isn't X2 43. I'll check X2 8 next time I'm messing with it.

Cheers!

PS I'm from London Ontario so pretty close to MI!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Ensing32: Attached is my most recent tune. It's been a long while since I've done anything with it. It doesn't go full throttle until above 4000 RPM but stays there until the redline. I set the Default Trans limit (in the torque management) section to 1000N-m across the board which allowed it to rev above 3600 RPM. I also made the Cutoff RPM vs Gear (Fuel/Cutoff, DFCO) 7150 RPM for everything including park and neutral. Not sure if this helped or not. If this does not work for you, let me know, I'll go back over the tune to see if I forgot anything.

88 Samurai LFX Man trans tune 12-01-2016.hpt

Veee8: thanks for posting the page from the 2013 manual. I agree there must have been a typo in the 2012. Next time I'm working on the Samurai, I'll confirm if that pin matches the 2012 engine harness.

Cheers!

PS I'm in London Ontario so pretty close to MI!

Tuner in Training
    Yep, X2 pin 8. I'm fighting the 5300 rpm limit. I'm not using the clutch switch, could that be the reason? It has to be some setting but I haven't found it. Throttle will not open all the way.

Tuner in Training
    I'm using HPTuners Vats delete. I run the engine as stand alone with no inputs. It now goes to redline(7,150) I have an E39 that logs constant 0 mph but I could not get past 5,300 rpm. Tried the same program in a different E39 that logs constant 158 mph and it works great, don't know why. My vss is plugged into the manual trans but I don't know if it's doing anything. My alternator is controlled by car.
    Last edited by oldbiff; 05-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Oldbiff is there any chance you could share your most recent tune?

Tuner in Training
    I would if I knew how