Thread: 3000 stall NAG1 - share your experience

Tuner

3000 stall NAG1 - share your experience

Gentlemen

i have a customers vehicle which has 3000 stall in it

the car is 2013 Charger SRT8 cammed, what would you change in transmission tables ?

i was looking for lockup's tables but i couldn't find them

BR

Tuner

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...ng-fast-enough. And set the TCC desired slip to 0 rpm's & disable the lock up until 5th gear.

Russ Kemp

is this torque convertor apply speed in like an 08 Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...ng-fast-enough. And set the TCC desired slip to 0 rpm's & disable the lock up until 5th gear.

Russ Kemp
    ^^^ I can confirm that worked. Just removing the TCC lockup in 1st and 2nd, combined with the shifts (combined with engine side tuning) got me 1.62 60fts in an NA 5.7.
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker

Potential Tuner

Russ Kemp
    Russ,

I am working through some transmission tuning myself. We're making gobs of power and I'm concerned with what unlocking the TC for too long will do. It is definitely coming out slow due to early lockup which I am going to remedy with some lockup removal down low. I'm just wondering what we'll be able to accomplish keeping it unlocked longer.

Setup:
    08 Jeep SRT
    94mm Precision XPR
    420ci stroker
    ~32psi / 1500+ whp
    Still AWD

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Has anyone has ever been able to totally disable TTC lock up under WOT conditions?

No combination of TCC tuning that I could come up with would ever disable WOT TCC lockup in my 2006 SRT8 300.
    2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8
    Stock headers and cats
    Mopar CAI
    Innovate dual WBO2 sensor kit
    Custom tuning by me via HPT

Tuner in Training

Russ Kemp
    Good advice. This was a tremendous help to me. Thanks Russ. I have a 3800 FTI converter with a str of 2.0. I was having issues with the rpms falling low enough upon lockup that my car would surge a bit. Raised the shift points for each gear, zeroed out the TCC slip and disabled lockup until 5th gear and my car runs much much better.

Senior Tuner
    So how's everyone's trans temps doing leaving the converter unlocked? And sorry, not sure I follow setting the desired slip to 0 if you leave the convertor unlocked anyways? The slip rpm is with the TCC locked up.

There must be a huge power drain leaving the convertor unlocked the entire time, similar to the TH400 that mops up 20%+ of power through a non-locking convertor. Sure it helps mask all the underlying bad tuning and harsh valve body characteristics, but not sure it should be the end all be all for every A580 setup out there?

Advanced Tuner
    I have a Pro-torque 3200 stall in my Jeep, I set all the desired slip cells to 0 since a lot of aftermarket torque converter lockup clutches aren't good at slipping (much more aggressive gripping characteristics). But I don't leave it unlocked at all. Still locks at the same RPM/load points as stock. Drives great, and I agree that leaving it unlocked wastes a lot of power.

I played around with leaving it unlocked once just to see what it was like, and the fluid temp got hot, FAST!

I agree. I have a protorque 2800 I my car is undriveable with the convertor unlocked in 1 and 2.

Potential Tuner
    What settings do i need to change to allow the converter to fully lock in second? I have first set at the max in the apply table, so for second to fully lock should i set it to 0?

useful thread ..

now i got a 3800 fti tc .. should i zero out the tables of tcc desired slip only ? in normal and sport tables all ?
    car is 300c srt8 2007

Potential Tuner
    I am kind of having the opposite issue of some of you. Ive just installed a FTI 3800 stall hard hit converter in my 12 RT. I havent seen any point in time that the converter completely locks up, always labled "slip" or "unlocked". I am going to follow along with zeroing out the tcc desired slip also. I have also disabled torque reduction on 1-2 2-3 and 3-4, as well as lowered my "max shift time" from stock 2800ms to 1400ms, and coasting from 10000ms stock to 8000ms. Still kind of new to the hptuners scene but ive been reading as much as i can for the past several months and seem to understand most stuff. Going to reset my adaptives and do a relearn on the TB along with zeroing out the tcc desired slip like you all and see where im at with it later today.

i dont want to seem noob lool but guys where do you lock and unlock the tcc ? in apply and release tables ? and that by lowering or increasing ?
    also what the the best for aggressive driving ? and max shift time is good for this applications ?
    my tcc is 3000 stall and upgraded vb and 3.92 rear end

Potential Tuner
    If you want to keep the torque converter clutch from locking you would need to increase the apply and release speed to their max values which for 1st gear and 2nd gear is 3825, 3rd gear is 6375. That will keep the TC unlocked. Pic attached for reference. For shift time do not go below 1500ms. I normally run 1800-2000ms on mine.
    tcc.png.
    Last edited by BAMKC; 10-21-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMKC View Post
    If you want to keep the torque converter clutch from locking you would need to increase the apply and release speed to their max values which for 1st gear and 2nd gear is 3825, 3rd gear is 6375. That will keep the TC unlocked. Pic attached for reference. For shift time do not go below 1500ms. I normally run 1800-2000ms on mine.
    tcc.png.
    thanks but how about the 4th ? and will keep them 1to3 unlocked will make the car lose grip or power ? beside i would like to have my rpm not fall down between shifts i mean when i shift at 6800 rpm no fall bellow 5900 or 6000 knowing that i run 3.92 lsd rear gear .

so what is your opinion on this ?

thanks again

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparmatty View Post
    Has anyone has ever been able to totally disable TTC lock up under WOT conditions?

No combination of TCC tuning that I could come up with would ever disable WOT TCC lockup in my 2006 SRT8 300.
    never tryed to apply over the tcm rpm limit and release at low rpm ?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GeForce1986 View Post
    thanks but how about the 4th ? and will keep them 1to3 unlocked will make the car lose grip or power ? beside i would like to have my rpm not fall down between shifts i mean when i shift at 6800 rpm no fall bellow 5900 or 6000 knowing that i run 3.92 lsd rear gear .

so what is your opinion on this ?

thanks again
    you loose engine brake

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti ChipTuning View Post
    you loose engine brake
    then what to do to not lose it and in same time not to let the rpm fall between gears ?

thanks