Thread: 2013 FRPP 5.0L Twin Turbo peak hp @ 6000 not 7000

Tuner in Training

2013 FRPP 5.0L Twin Turbo peak hp @ 6000 not 7000

Hey everyone,

This is in a 1965 Mustang w/ the low compression FRPP 5.0L and T56 trans. 58mm turbo's and 50mm WG's. ID1050x inj's w/ aeromotive pump and regulator, set @ 50 psi w/o vac., referencing vac. & boost. eBoost 2 contoller set for 6psi, 9psi and trying to get 12psi, once this issue can be fixed. This is running that awesome 91 octane in Cali so, wtr/meth will be added on soon.

I applied alot of the Cookbook changes and ran the veh. on our Dyno Dynamics for the driveability side and a few wot pulls before moving onto the Dynojet. The power and tq are great until 5000 rpm, they start to fade sooner than I'd expect. I did runs with only OP table and then with all the orig MP tables, but no difference. Both dyno's showed the same lack of performance.

Any thoughts to cam angle or torque model/mgmt areas I need to look more into? Maybe I messed up or forgot something somewhere. I guess I just need another set of eyes!

I'm attaching the file, log and dyno runs w/ 6, 9 and an 11psi attempted run.

** Can someone verify which knock retard is the one to correct for i.e. pos or neg, I remember reading a post that it is backward in HP and then it was or wasn't fixed later on?
    ** Also have a stalling issue on decel after a run with the clutch pedal down, if anyone can help on that too.

Thanks,
    Jason
    1050x _wot dynojet_WG change_12psi boost_113.hplOHY_ID1050x_114.hpt20180110_163207[1].jpg

Advanced Tuner
    spiking 14lbs and rolling off to 10lbs by 6200 on the log. that could have something to do with it unless this was an exception

Tuner in Training
    I believe that "MAP" is calculated by the air load. The boost gauge peak was 11.6 for that run.

knock retard is setup positive =bad negative= good. It's another named PID to have it the other way around.

I'm seeing Tq reduction and an Exhaust temp limits. You've got all the cat stuff disabled so i'm not sure why that's kicking in maybe try raising the temp values?

I'd also try and set the map max to 1.0 or maybe try disabling anticipated logic since it's calculating 2bar with the SD enabled.

Stalling is probably because every tq ratio under tq management is disabled. I'd re-enable the ones for dashpot, target N etc.

Tuner in Training
    bbrooks98 I did a lot of browsing and reading on here. Whew!

I did some Eng Tq and Inv changes to the OP. Was able to get rid of the exh temp Tq red by increasing the Exh Temp Inv.

On setting map max... was that for the IPC table,SD max load or calc map max? So many, ugh!!!

For the stalling, nothing done has worked. The installers didn't wire in the vss to the ecu, does it need it? If so, I'll get that fixed.

The changes I made did pick up the tq, but maybe too much and the turbo's run out too soon? I keep seeing the boost go to 11.3psi at 5000 and then tapers down to 9.2psi by 6500 then ramps up to 10psi @ 7000.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    here are the logs from those 2 runs above. Let me know if anything stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by DVR IMP View Post
    bbrooks98 I did a lot of browsing and reading on here. Whew!

I did some Eng Tq and Inv changes to the OP. Was able to get rid of the exh temp Tq red by increasing the Exh Temp Inv.

On setting map max... was that for the IPC table,SD max load or calc map max? So many, ugh!!!

For the stalling, nothing done has worked. The installers didn't wire in the vss to the ecu, does it need it? If so, I'll get that fixed.

The changes I made did pick up the tq, but maybe too much and the turbo's run out too soon? I keep seeing the boost go to 11.3psi at 5000 and then tapers down to 9.2psi by 6500 then ramps up to 10psi @ 7000.
    SD Max load is what i was referring to and I would definitely get the VSS hooked up as i've never tried one without it. One less variable to worry about.

It could be turbo depending on what you have, but have you tried different cam angles? It looks like it just falls off a cliff after 6800rpm airflow wise. Maybe try raising the intake to -18 and keeping the exhaust around 15 above 6500 that's what mine seemed to like with similar boost.

Tuner in Training
    When you can, take a look at the logs, cam timing is pretty much as you suggested above. Comp Turbo 58/?? oil-less, water cooled.

Just a random question, but does the turbo kit utilize stock manifolds? We had issues with stock manifolds creating issues around the lower 6000 rpm range making a power loss and sometimes flutter, then it would pick back up after 6500 and continue making rpm...

Tuner
    Interesting.....I have a 2015 5.0 that is boosted and also shows a dip in power at 6500rpm then picks up slightly and stays flat until 7500. I have a GT350 intake which made peak power NA at 7,300. Haven't solved the problem yet but will be working on it as soon as I can get back on a dyno. I was going to start with cam timing.

As for stalling, I have noticed my car stalls easily after a flash, but improves after the ECM has had a chance to "learn"

Also, with a 50/50 mix of e85 and 93 you can add much more timing........just saying, ditch the 91.

Tuner in Training
    Konabluekiller.... it has custom headers.

Plimmer....93 octane is NOT at the pump in Cali, owner is not up for e85 either...

Going to do a few wiring changes and wastegate spring increase, then mess with the vct. The more I've researched, it seems I'm not the only one with peak power around 6500rpm. Seen some 700, 800 and
    900hp dyno runs with the graphs looking similar to mine, minus the cliff!!!
    Last edited by DVR IMP; 01-19-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Talk around the water cooler is the exhaust valve doesn't need the bias we've been lead to believe. I haven't had a chance to try myself as I only read this yesterday, but if your on a dyno there, pull a bit of cam timing on the exhaust side and test it out.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    MMGT1... That's exactly what I was going to do, we must have been reading the same stuff!

Tuner in Training
    What are the plugs and gap?