Thread: Any forthcoming VR180 formats support for input & output?

Tuner in Training

Any forthcoming VR180 formats support for input & output?

With the CES announcements of VR180 cameras, will RaceRender be moving to support the VR180 format for both input and output? I'll be recording some VR180 content at COTA in a couple weeks, would love to overlay whatever the driver is touching (steering/brake/throttle) to explore how helpful it would be for driver development.

Which VR180 camera will you be using?

This is something I've had my eye on since YouTube/Google announced it last summer, and it seems like a good practical way to record events as 3D VR experiences. The problem is that there don't seem to be many consumer VR180 cameras available right now (can't seem to buy the ones that Google mentioned yet), and I also haven't seen any technical details on how YouTube wants VR180 videos or their metadata to be encoded. The LucidCam has been available, but the samples I've seen don't seem to work as VR180 or 3D on YouTube (maybe their software handles this now?). I'm wondering if the Google-recommended cameras will work differently. So, this has been sort of in a "wait and see" status for the time being. I would anticipate that we could get the 180 degree part of it working easily in 2D, once info and samples are available, and then I'd like to explore the 3D capability, but don't have presently enough info on that to speculate...

Tuner in Training
    Hi Weston:

Can you reach out to me privately about VR180?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/wisetimothy/

Thanks.

Tim

Tuner in Training
    Ping Weston? Have some VR180 samples I can test with now.

Sorry for the delays... I'm not on Linked-In. Is there a dropbox or similar link you could share with me? If it needs to be private, e-mail to Info@RaceRender.com will work. Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    reached out, never heard back. Lemme know if I can help you support VR180 formats. The 'passenger seat' experience in the Lenovo Mirage standalone is outstanding, the most realistic in car video I've ever seen. Would be great to have a limited set of overlays on it.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Weston, any chance of supporting VR180 Equirect with RaceRender? Am willing to help. Please respond.