Thread: How do I log torque?

Tuner in Training

How do I log torque?

I would like to log my torque to help with adjusting some of the shift tables based on torque. I also would like to know what kind of torque I am getting out of the car at high end. If the engine is using torque readings how do I get them to show up on the scanner?

Senior Tuner
    there are torque PIDS, one for engine and one for trans. I think they're calculated based on load and values for a stock stall, so if you dont have a stock stall you're gonna be off.

i like to use dynamic cylinder air for a torque measurement. amount of air in cylinder determines compression, and compression determines torque, thus dyncylair is a good relative indicator.

Potential Tuner
    I can't find any torque PID's for the Vortec 4200 LL8 I6 in the Saab 9-7X 4.2i. Any ideas where to find them?

Potential Tuner
    There is a PID for my '04 4.2L named GM.TRQENG_B that logs engine torque delivered to the engine. My max value is 112 ft-lbs. I posted a message about this in the I6 engine tuning section. If you get your PID to work, I'd like to know what your max value is.

DS

Ive seen 334ft. lb. on my stock v6. So, sure id like to know how to get something accurate too.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by uelundgren
    I can't find any torque PID's for the Vortec 4200 LL8 I6 in the Saab 9-7X 4.2i. Any ideas where to find them?
    if you post your stock file I could probably tell you where in the scanner it is.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Ok, here's the stock file.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    if you post your stock file I could probably tell you where in the scanner it is.
    I hate to resurrect an old thread, but im kind of in the same boat and honestly wondering, why isnt there a Torque PID for the P10? i know its old 02-05 stuff, but people still play with them and theres an aftermarket community thats upcoming and rising using the 4200 and p10/p12/e67

i myself have an LL8 and would like to make adjustments to my shift firmness, timing, and such, as well as the torque management to keep the 4L60e happy....
    but i cant, because theres no Torque PID for the p10.

the closest thing i see is volumetric efficiency airflow, which is outputted in lb/min or what have you. perhaps you could come up with some rough numbers with that.. but otherwise how does the PCM know the torque to shift the transmission??

i can gladly share my .hpt file, or whatever
    Sometimes money isnt an issue, sometimes it is. Sometimes time is an issue, sometimes it isnt. Never at the same time are they both not an issue.
    -79 c10 8.2L th400 holley efi. T6 s480 coming soon.
    -99 lumina 3100, 2 bar- SD60, 255lph, with a T04e
    -03 trailblazer, soon to get a S366

I take it nobody will be answering this one anytime soon.