Thread: Help with timing issue

Tuner in Training

Help with timing issue

I have a 2000 C5 stock motor with full exhaust and a Vortech V2 on it, it had been tuned by a shop but it was tuned for better fuel mileage then power. Looking at the spark tables they had it set way low like 10-11, we went in and changed it to 17. On my dyno pull it dropped timing down to 6.5 from 4400 on up. No knock was present in the logs, I cant figure out what would cause the timing to drop. Anyone have any ideas what to look for or change?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by b00ya4u2; 01-24-2018 at 07:16 PM.

You didn't log knock retard, so you really don't know if there was knock present or not. If the knock channel is not present in the channels list, nothing will show in the charts like this data log has shown.

You'd be doing yourself a favor if you bought a 2 BAR map sensor so you could properly tune the vehicle for boost as well as upgrading to a 2 BAR operating system that gives you an extended VE table up to 210kpa and boost enrichment tables. Not being able to log boost nor having a wideband in the logs is not super helpful. If going by o2 sensors, this tune seems very rich if it's pegging the o2's at 990-1000mv.

Add knock retard, injector pulse widths, commanded AFR or EQ and your wideband to your logs.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I'm trying to upload the dyno sheet that has the AFR on it but its sayin its invalid, according to my autometer gauge its 11.4-11.7 at WOT. I'll have to try and get a different log and try to log the other perimeters.

Advanced Tuner
    Log IAT retard.

Tuner in Training
    Here is a new log I just did on a road test, it looks like it is getting some KR right around 4600

For now reduce timing again and take what I suggested into consideration. You really want to have both the VE and MAF dialed in while running boost so a 2 BAR OS and a 2 bar MAP sensor will really help here.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    OK, I just dropped the timing a few degrees. The original tune was done by a "reputable" shop in Texas so we figured just adding a bit of timing and be good to go but I guess not.

Tuner in Training
    I'm going to be swapping in a 2bar map next weekend and trying to retune it with that, issue I am finding is I don't have any options in the OS tab to change to an OS for 2bar.

Switch to advanced view under the edit tab.

Then it will appear and along with like 80% of the tables you aren't seeing in basic view.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! I wondered why my screen was so much different then the one we tuned it on.

Tuner in Training
    Did some tuning on it this weekend and cant seem to figure out why its still pulling timing at 4400. Did some VE tuning and had it within the 5% range, switched back to maf and it hates anything under 2k while under load. I had a 2bar map but dont want to mess with having to retune the car every time I go somewhere since we have crazy altitude changes through out the state.

Why did you change your timing tables to those extreme ones? I'm surprised it hasn't gone bang yet....

Your original tables looked much safer

Having a 2 bar tune will have nothing to do with elevation changes, there is zero extra tuning that goes along with that. You tune the vehicle for the extended VE and that's it. The computer will still function as if it were stock. All air temp changes, coolant temp changes, timing changes will be done just as if it were stock. You can not properly tune the VE without a 2/3 bar MAP while running a supercharger or turbo.

Once the VE is tuned and the MAF is tuned separately under a 2 or 3 BAR OS it should function great. I'd still apply the upgraded OS, then pick one to start with. Disable the MAF correctly, create an AFR or Lambda error for the VE and tune it fully. Then switch back to the MAF sensor or vise versa, just make sure that which ever one you pick that you isolate it within the tune. VE tuned with no MAF active and the MAF tuned with the VE disabled. You may even find that it runs better and responds better in a purely speed density closed loop tune and decide to ditch the MAF altogether.