Thread: Explorer - Speed Density? N/A 3.5L V6

Explorer - Speed Density? N/A 3.5L V6

Does anyone know if Ford switched to speed density for the N/A 3.5L V6 Explorers for 2016-up? My 2018 XLT w/ the N/A 3.5 doesn't have a MAF sensor, or at least I looked all around the airbox, the 2 resonators, etc... and couldn't find a MAF sensor anywhere. I thought I saw a 2016 Explorer tune in the repository with an airflow/voltage table, but the service manual for the 2015 showed the MAF at the neck of the airbox where the rubber hose attaches. There's nothing on my 2018.

It sounds like HPTuners may not have support for the 2018 Explorer. Ford must have done something very different for 18 because the ECU isn't even recognized.

Ford has removed MAF sensor form every model besides Mustang AFIK - savings I guess...

Do you know when they did this? Must have been MY17 or maybe MY18.

2018 I believe - no more MAF, only for Mustang.

Almost everthing is without a MAF, except the Mustang GT. They started this in 2015.

If its not supported yet, take a read. Its probably a TC-1791
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Almost everthing is without a MAF, except the Mustang GT. They started this in 2015.

If its not supported yet, take a read. Its probably a TC-1791
    There's a 2016 Explorer N/A 3.5 Limited in the repository and it said the ECU was an ESYS2048K or something, and I saw an airflow/voltage table (that's typically used with a MAF). If it was speed density, I'd think they wouldn't have this table?? I also noticed that for the 2016 Explorer, it was missing all of the driver demand tables for the various terrain modes, so I'm sure it is also missing a lot of other settings.

I took a read using the latest beta on my 2018 Explorer, and it asked for the type of ECU, and I wasn't sure which to pick. Is there another way to identify it?

Tuner in Training
    Last time I checked my wife's 17' Explorer most of the transmission parameters were still missing, emailed support a couple times and finally gave up...

VCM Scanner doesn't show any DMR PIDs for the 2018 Explorer, so I'm guessing the 2018 isn't supported. I see the 2018 F-150 uses TC-298 ECUs, and the 2018 F-150's 5.0 is speed density (no MAF).