Thread: Idle "cruise control" problem

Tuner in Training

Idle "cruise control" problem

I've been helping a friend with his 2007 Mustang GT. It's a manual, so this problem is even more annoying with that.

The car was originally tuned by a shop with for a lot of bolt-ons. What happens is when the clutch is pushed in or when it's in neutral, idle will jump up to 3000 and stay. Normally I work with GM cars, so this is new to me. Not sure how to get this to settle down. I did a little tuning on this a few weeks ago and the problem was gone then, but he says now it's back.

What is the best way to get the idle squared away for a Mustang? What tables should I be focusing on, and what should I be watching for in the scanner? Do I have to mess with timing, throttle position tables, or airflow here? I'm thinking it's a combination of all of these.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone? Or can I just add this the list of reasons why I hate dealing with Fords?

The really funny part is, I also own a Mustang, but that was because my wife wanted one real bad. I'm not about to mess with her car and mess it up to test this. It's running great and I want to keep it that way lol. Tuning these cars is not very easy if you're coming from the GM side of things.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your file.

Tuner in Training
    Here are the latest adjustments. I have yet to post a tune here, I hope I did it correctly.

Idle Adjustments 1.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like a mechanical issue or a sensor issue. I see you lowered the Max Drive limit to 800 from 2040. Neutral doesnt have this limit so it only comes down when ECT reaches temp. You could try lowering the multiplier tables under airflow for neutral based on ECT.

Tuner in Training
    I will definitely give that a try. Thank you.