Thread: Enable Class 2 Serial Data for Oil Pressure on 99-02 PCM

Enable Class 2 Serial Data for Oil Pressure on 99-02 PCM

Doing a conversion were I am trying to convert an 02 DBW 6.0 into an 06 Silverado originally 4.3l. The 06 uses serial data for the cluster oil pressure, I can wire in a 3 wire sending unit, but I am curious if I can enable the serial data path so the cluster will see it in HPT? Possibly in system options on the tune? When I compare to an 03+ file I do not see any differences in system options under oil pressure. Is this possible?
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Without the operating system programmed to output a serial line for oil pressure I do not think the PCM will know to look for the data on the 3 pins without it enabled.

Can anyone help? I am held up on this, with it plugged in it doesn't transmit serial signal to the computer... I need to program the PCM to make it look for data on those pins. Surely someone has ran into this? No 99-02 PCM's in a factory 03-07 trucks???
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

I wonder if I just set the oil pressure value under the system options matrix to 1, for my platform if that will do the trick, or if it will permanently damage the PCM..
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    unless you get really lucky and find the one person doing hex reformatting in here, this forum isnt going to be able to help.
    hpt does not have the capability to enable disable serial read or make the ecu aware of a change in can signal.
    this is why your thread is basically dead...your asking for something the software cannot accommodate.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Thanks for the clarification.

Just updating this thread for those in the future with my situation. After emailing support, and talking to engineering they said it was impossible. What I ultimately ended up doing was flashing in an 02 vette O/S with my tech 2, 02 vette's were P01 Blue/Red and use serial oil pressure to run the clusters. Works like a charm
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

I know this is an old thread, but did flashing affect your dbw? With an 02 truck, it would have a different pedal, TB, and control box, right?

Quote Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but did flashing affect your dbw? With an 02 truck, it would have a different pedal, TB, and control box, right?
    2002 truck didn't have electronic throttle. It was mechanical throttle. The other option is to take your 2002 Fbody file and segment swap the "Engine Diagnostics" and "System" segments from a C5 into your file. The Class2 communication protocols are stored in those two segments.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

His first post said it was 02 DBW. My 02 that I have is as well.

From the data I have the voltages from both the APP and the TB look to be very similar between the two so a corvette OS should work with Truck TAC module, pedal and TB. If not you'd have to swap back over all the throttle information from the OEM file after segment swapping or flashing the C5 tune in. And HPT doesn't have all those tables populated so it'll be copy/paste in hex.

Easiest thing to do is to just enable the Class2 comms in the existing tune as to not F up anything else in the swap. That also will require hex editing.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    2002 truck didn't have electronic throttle. It was mechanical throttle. The other option is to take your 2002 Fbody file and segment swap the "Engine Diagnostics" and "System" segments from a C5 into your file. The Class2 communication protocols are stored in those two segments.
    I've seen some 02 trucks and Tahoes with ETC because they had Traction Control.

Quote Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
    Yes, sorry should have mentioned this, I did have the C5 TAC, TB, and pedal already from my mass collection of spare parts.
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    From the data I have the voltages from both the APP and the TB look to be very similar between the two so a corvette OS should work with Truck TAC module, pedal and TB. If not you'd have to swap back over all the throttle information from the OEM file after segment swapping or flashing the C5 tune in. And HPT doesn't have all those tables populated so it'll be copy/paste in hex.

Easiest thing to do is to just enable the Class2 comms in the existing tune as to not F up anything else in the swap. That also will require hex editing.
    Hey James, I have a couple 02 6.0 Denali files, maybe late 01 possibly? They have the reverse C5 TB and the solid black truck TAC. etc... I wish I knew more about code to enable that class 2, I have some hex editors, but I dont know what to apply where to enable it unfortunately. I do know the C5 TB polarity is reversed from the Truck TB, as I tried using it ultimately at first with the C5 TAC. It would respond, but REP... ultimately swapped all throttle hardware over from C5 parts. Wish Id spent more time on this, I know it could have been useful to get that enabled to someone..
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Quote Originally Posted by JHPerformance View Post
    Hey James, I have a couple 02 6.0 Denali files, maybe late 01 possibly? They have the reverse C5 TB and the solid black truck TAC. etc... I wish I knew more about code to enable that class 2, I have some hex editors, but I dont know what to apply where to enable it unfortunately. I do know the C5 TB polarity is reversed from the Truck TB, as I tried using it ultimately at first with the C5 TAC. It would respond, but REP... ultimately swapped all throttle hardware over from C5 parts. Wish Id spent more time on this, I know it could have been useful to get that enabled to someone..
    Yea it was extremely rare to see DBW on the trucks/suv's in 99-02. And they were completely different than the 03-up stuff that did have it. C5 throttle hardware was probably the smartest move there.
    ShorTuning