Thread: 6.0 VGT vein control

Tuner in Training

6.0 VGT vein control

Has anyone played with vein control? commanding it open at idle? Is anyone interested in knowing what tables to adjust to get this result?
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build

All the tables are there, duty cycle and desired boost.

I haven't commanded it open but I did set up an exhaust brake and it works extremely well.

I tuned the jet engine sound out of mine at idle. I'm sure my neighbors appreciate it, but so do the cars in the right lane at the stop lights....at least until we take off from the light anyway..Lol

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
    All the tables are there, duty cycle and desired boost.

I haven't commanded it open but I did set up an exhaust brake and it works extremely well.
    I'm curious how you are making an exhaust brake work. I have figured out how to command them open at idle, which cuts out the spool whistle and isn't as bad on my head when I have headaches(My truck has 8 inch stacks behind the cab) plus I figure according to the owners manual you are supposed to let the truck idle down after hard drives to help cycle oil through the cooler( I have logged 20 plus degrees in a 10-15 minute idle span) So my thoughts of keeping the veins open below 750 RPM and snapping them shut when I apply throttle to operate normally will only better in the long run on the turbo, more frequent movement from full open to full closed, plus being open at idle when you shut the engine down the turbo isn't coasting in a low oil pressure situation as much. This has to help in the long run keeping veins from sticking and also prolong turbo bearing life by having the turbine shaft spinning much slower when the engine shuts off. These are just my thoughts on this. Would love to see how your exhaust brake setup works and how you are tuning that into the truck.

It's pretty easy to command, you just set your desired boost to something it will have to work for but inst likely to achieve but will force it to close the veins on the turbo, usually setting this to a couple pounds of boost will do maybe 5psi.

Then just set up your max vein position, or duty cycle in the case of these fords.

I also fiddled around with the TCM quite a bit, essentially I have it now so the exhaust brake will only work in tow haul mode. When in tow haul it will automatically downshift now through the gears.

Have a look at my tune. You will need beta to open these.TCM_EB.hptECM_EB.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
    It's pretty easy to command, you just set your desired boost to something it will have to work for but inst likely to achieve but will force it to close the veins on the turbo, usually setting this to a couple pounds of boost will do maybe 5psi.

Then just set up your max vein position, or duty cycle in the case of these fords.

I also fiddled around with the TCM quite a bit, essentially I have it now so the exhaust brake will only work in tow haul mode. When in tow haul it will automatically downshift now through the gears.

Have a look at my tune. You will need beta to open these.TCM_EB.hptECM_EB.hpt
    Hey, BigCE. Are you studded or anything? My stuck is completely stock and I was wondering if your tune would work for a good starting point. What about just using the FICM tune on a stock engine for now. Would it be alright?

Truck is stock not studded. I would say it's a safe tune. It makes lots of power but honestly it's not turned up that much IMO. I feel it's on the safe side for sure.

Tuner in Training
    alright, thanks. I don't want to tune both at the same time because of credits. Would you recommend FICM tuning first or no?

No I would definitely tune the ECM first.

Potential Tuner
    just wondering where are you finding desired boost at idle? Is it under DC in open loop (turbocharger controls) A percentage of vain control or is it elsewhere?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by trouth302 View Post
    just wondering where are you finding desired boost at idle? Is it under DC in open loop (turbocharger controls) A percentage of vain control or is it elsewhere?
    6.0 MAIN TUNED2.hpt Here is my current tune with VGT open at idle working perfectly. compare your tables with what I have changed. There are several tables required to make it work correctly.

Potential Tuner
    awesome thanks

Tuner in Training
    GhostRider I am unable to open your tune with my hp tuner... what update are you using?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by moose13 View Post
    GhostRider I am unable to open your tune with my hp tuner... what update are you using?
    I am using beta....you may need to email support to get access to beta software

Potential Tuner
    bumping this thread, hoping ghostrider can share some insight on why the VGT tables need modified to get rid of the whistle.

i get the open loop DC vs speed vs mass fuel, but multiplier vs EOT? why are those 2 cells knocked to 0? and the proportional and integrals all zeroed out as well?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen4971 View Post
    bumping this thread, hoping ghostrider can share some insight on why the VGT tables need modified to get rid of the whistle.

i get the open loop DC vs speed vs mass fuel, but multiplier vs EOT? why are those 2 cells knocked to 0? and the proportional and integrals all zeroed out as well?
    I have eliminated all factors that can alter what I am commanding the turbo to do. I was chasing a small flutter issue with the veins trying to close slightly at idle still. I started grabbing any and all tabs that could add to the turbo vein control even by a small amount. Most of those tables were labeled as "used for fine boost control" which my truck doesn't have an issue at all. I can snap the throttle and it slams the veins shut and starts to spool and pulls low 30's of boost on a hard pull. Some of those tables may not have needed to be changed but I did so hunting the issue of I could get the veins to stay open but as the coolant and oil temps came up it would start fluttering the veins as in begin to try to close them then immediately open them again and it resulted in a faint vein sweep sound and light spool and release. I wanted straight open veins at idle like a non VGT large turbo to cut down on the whistle to appease my neighbors complaints about cold start warm ups. Plus all that whistle with 8 inch stacks gets old after a while I wanted the rumble sound then a quick spool. I achieved what I wanted and shared so others could see what I ended up changing to get my results

EDIT: I have the tune pretty well ironed out so that the veins stay open until you get over 1/4 throttle or 1000 revs. The only down fall is if you roll on the throttle hard with the veins open it drops a metric ton of fuel on the turbo to spool it. I'm not a huge fan of black smoke but I'll admit I have used it to annoy tailgaters and people who honk the horn 0.0002 seconds after the red light changes to green. The truck still got good mileage and has solid performance. Overall I really enjoy the setup I have put together so far. The truck is currently in a friend's shop getting new Ford stock injectors put in as it has decided to drop an injector when the engine is cold. I don't know when if ever at all its had injectors so I just decided to drop 8 new Ford stocks and put the truck back to work.
    Last edited by GhostRider117; 08-09-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Tuner in Training
    GhostRider,

I have not had much time to mess with tuning with my 2004 f250 6.0l i was tring to compare your your tune (6.0 MAIN TUNED2.hpt) to mine I just dont see where the changes are compare to my tune... craigs stock tune dont change.hpt thanks craig

Quote Originally Posted by moose13 View Post
    GhostRider,

I have not had much time to mess with tuning with my 2004 f250 6.0l i was tring to compare your your tune (6.0 MAIN TUNED2.hpt) to mine I just dont see where the changes are compare to my tune... craigs stock tune dont change.hpt thanks craig
    Example attached below
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB