Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tuning School Reviews?

Potential Tuner

The Tuning School Reviews?

Just trying to get some feedback on personal experiences, or just simply opinions. Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    Newb here would also like to know what everyone’s thoughts are one this. It seems pricey but is it worth it?

The Tuning School is a very good way to learn how to Tune in general and they do a very good job covering HPtuners.

Potential Tuner
    It’s really stretching my budget after afm failure. I did afm/vvt delete with tsp 600/600 212/218 in a 10 Silverado. If you could only afford one would you go with the online version or the book?

Potential Tuner
    I bought HpTuners and was a bit overwhelmed. Decided to get the learn at home course and I am so glad I did! They do a good job of explaining along the way on what you're changing and why. I'm as newb as newb can get and after reading through the book a few times I'm surprised at some of the questions some people ask on here.

I'm still finishing putting my project together so I haven't had a chance to tune and use it yet but I'm already looking forward to buying the advanced course.

Some of their suggestions or tuning methods aren't what many call correct or a good way of tuning, they cover a lot of stuff but also skip things.

Check out ERM performance if you want a cheaper option that still gives you great info for the money.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

^ How good its the tuning school for LT1? Would like to purchase it but its pricey Its there another good tuning school for the LT motors?
    Last edited by =fast=; 02-17-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the input Trent & 5fdp.
    And I’m about to go check our erm performance now.

Tuner in Training
    I have actually used both Tuning School and ERM and I like ERM way more than Tuning school. ERM does a great job of teaching you how to tune and to actually understand what you are doing with the logs. They are way cheaper too.
    2013 ZL1
    TSP LT's
    ID 1000
    Roto-Fab CAI

Potential Tuner
    I looked at the ERM website last night. I think that’s the way I’m going to go. And like said above 200$vs500$

Quote Originally Posted by rdemarce View Post
    I have actually used both Tuning School and ERM and I like ERM way more than Tuning school. ERM does a great job of teaching you how to tune and to actually understand what you are doing with the logs. They are way cheaper too.
    Does ERM have a tuning book for the 2014+ GM?

We do not at this time as I have yet to find a definable approach other than you have to look at these setups as Torque based and modify the various torque modesl/limits accordingly to your modifications. I have purchased materials and read forums for several months now and while I can struggle through a tune, in no way do I have the confidence as I have with Gen III/IV. Even the idle is based on torque values which eventually are equated to throttle/spark commands as required. They are even still called Proportional and Integral.

I actually got the most information out of reading the GM Patents available through Google search and applied that to Engine Torque (manual) and axle torque (automatic) HP Tuner tables. Another big difference between Gen III/IV and V is the PCM is actually monitoring the vehicle performance and adjusting the engine performance to match the drivers demand. The PCM has real time control over Throttle/fuel (Predicted) and Spark (Immediate) to increase, maintain...or limit torque as required. Now compound all those calculations across the VVT and DoD operation and you have one complicated, iterative and repeatitive tuning process to establish.

Hopefully in the near future we will find the holy grail and be able to produce material that is on par with the technical content and quality of our Gen III/IV material. In the mean-time, if you have any questions or would like to discuss tuning approaches I would be more than happy to help in your knowledge search....two heads are better than one...

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 02-19-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Ed,
    I hope our new GEN V guide helps you out.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    The Tuning School

http://thetuningschool.com/product/g...t-home-course/
    Comes with one year unlimited GEN V V8 tuning support
    Last edited by statman55; 03-02-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by statman55 View Post
    Ed,
    Thanks,
    Mike
    The Tuning School

Mike, I have been reading it and will be asking some questions/comments in the very near future which I am hoping can be one on one to simplify the process.

The tuning concepts match many of the theories (Torgue Model, Driver Demand, Peak/Max Torque etc) which I have managed to coble together from the patents and numerous forum discussions as stated above. Also the section on The VVT is in-line with the info I have collected/discussed with several Cam suppliers. I thank you guys again for the opportunity to utilize the product and so far I think it is well written, provides some technical what ifs which I really like and covers the major area's of tuning the Gen V setups for bolt-ons, CAMS and Forced Induction.

Thank you again,

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 03-02-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The Tuning School is a very good way to learn how to Tune in general and they do a very good job covering HPtuners.
    I agree with Erick. Much of what I learned when I first tried to tune was based on what I read in the Tuning School's home-study courses. There are several choices on home-study classes for beginning calibrators and one of the good ones comes from the Tuning School.

I found some additional, more advanced, instruction on E38 idle calibration here on this forum.

So...Tuning School and this forum? All good for me because.... I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 03-04-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    Hib Halverson
    Just Another Tuner in Training.

Quote Originally Posted by statman55 View Post
    Ed,
    Thanks,
    Mike
    The Tuning School

Glad you guys got in touch with one another!

Western New York's Performance Headquarters

Tuner in Training
    what about someone with a gen v platform hat has no tuning experience like myself? buy the gen v book?

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys
    Any review on EFI University?

Tuner in Training
    Glad I found this thread, lots of good info. I was about to pull the trigger on HP Academy. Anyone used that? I've watched the free content and it's so well put together, guy is very well spoken, content is clear and well edited, and gives a lot of the in depth details that most seem to leave out. It gives me high hopes for the paid package. Thoughts?

Advanced Tuner
    I just went to the ERM tuning website and there is a message that Ed has passed away. Very sad.