Thread: i have no freaking idea what im doing.

Tuner in Training

i have no freaking idea what im doing.

ok so im doing a LS2 swap in a 2000 camaro. the engine is a 6.0 lq9 with flat top pistons, 799 heads and .040 head gaskets. pretty much set up to run 11.5:1 compression ratio. the cam is a LS7 stock grind. stock rockers with trunion upgrades. ported ls2 intake with 90mm cable TB. i plan on running stock camaro ecm setup for manual(car is gonna be a auto with a tci EZ TCU controlling it) it will have a volant cold ai and long tubes as well. my issue is i NEVER tuned anything in my life! so what version do i need? what wideband? what version of hpt do i need for the wideband to be logged? were can i learn more? i am completely in the dark here lol. thanks for any help in advance!

so what version do i need? I think they are in the 3.XX's at this time.
    what wideband? There are many good ones to choose from. Once you get HPT look at your drop down list in the channels menu and choose one that is pre-installed. Makes setting it up easier.
    what version of hpt do i need for the wideband to be logged? You can log the wideband with either HPT standard, or PRO, but it is much easier with the PRO version (or at least I've been told)
    were can i learn more? There are many good books on the subject that will get you started. Or, there is a group called "The Tuning School" that offers courses over the web, or they have seminars across the country that you can attend. Please note you will need to be prepared to spend as little as 100 hours of reading, and using HPT, to even begin to get a grasp on it. To be a "pro" it will take in the THOUSANDS of hours..... NOT kidding. If you are not willing to invest the time to learn, or don't have the time to invest, just pay someone to do your tune for you. If you decide to let someone do the tune for you, post here and ask for recommendations for GOOD, REPUTABLE, tuners near you. Just because someone says they are a tuner, does not make them so. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who will tell you they are a tuner, and take your money, and then you figure it out later that they really did not have a clue, and you will have to pay someone else a 2nd time.

Not trying to dissuade you from starting down this path but if you want to be GOOD, it is going to take a large personal investment of your time. It can be really frustrating trying to figure things out. You can ask questions on the forums, or do a search for what you need but not all answers are readily available and sometimes will require a great many hours problem solving trying to figure out on your own what the issue is.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    version is always the most current version found at your HPT home page. i think a better question is what model do i need? if you want to no modify the factory harness then you need the Pro Edition of HPTuners to allow external inputs into the side of the MPVI interface. If you go standard then your most common option is to log through a sensor port that isn't being used. Lots of posts on how to do this but it does get messy.
    What widebands are good is user preference mostly but stick to one that has a name brand behind it (AEM, Autometer, Innovate, Daytona Sensors...). I really enjoy my Dayton Sensors but they are very expensive considering other options. Most people use the AEM Widebands and i have in the past and like it very much but when i switched to Daytona and Innovate i did so because they had dual widebands at that time. If i wanted a single one again id probably go with AEM EUGO. In short the AEM EUGO and Innovate sensors are both supported via the software and others have similar outputs to these which means you can use their data for easy connection.

A 6.0 liter with ls7 cam and that monster TB are going to need some idle calibration changes which is where most people struggle. I would do a search on RussK tuning and idle tuning in general. Try to understand Running Airflow and both Throttle Follower/Cracker tables. These tend to be the 3 that cause a lot of issues.
    Find a guide that explains tuning in VE and MAF and try to know their differences. These modes are considered independent when it comes to tuning.

There are a few companies that have pay to learn solutions. One of the favorites in here is Ed's program from ERM Performance and another is the Tuning School who offer learn at home and online packages as well as the in person package in case you dont want to travel.
    Common books are Performance and Injection Systems sold through HP Books (isbn: 978-1-55788-557-9) and Greg Banish products found at Calibrated Success

if your on the forum the support here is pretty good just understand replies aren't going to be immediate. There is always a forum section labeled sticky threads at the very top of each platform tuning section. These often have the answers and guides you are seeking so make sure you roll through there and read up as well.
    There will be lots of reading going on. I read more about tuning and theories in general than any other material. the information on the web is super dense to make sure you never get bored.

Welcome to the Tuning World,
    Alex
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 02-13-2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Ed's classes are not just in person, made correction per Ed's reply
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Alex, thank you for the props. Just a quick update, our Training and Tuning at ERM Performance Tuning is done at your home/shop through your computer. One on One, interactive and no need to travel or wait for books in the mail. All material is on-line and immediately accessible with 2 free hours and a 1 year free upgrade period.

regards,

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    ok. i had another camaro SS that had a 5.7 with zo6 (243 casting) heads and ls7 cam, fast 92mm intake and tb and longtube headers. never tuned it and it idled fine. but i sold it due to money issues. anyways is there a way once i get to the point of data logging can i post the data on here?

Quote Originally Posted by snakeskinner1983 View Post
    ok. i had another camaro SS that had a 5.7 with zo6 (243 casting) heads and ls7 cam, fast 92mm intake and tb and longtube headers. never tuned it and it idled fine. but i sold it due to money issues. anyways is there a way once i get to the point of data logging can i post the data on here?
    Yes...save the log and tune and then open a post. But this time instead of selecting Post Quick Reply...select Go Advance...This will open a new window (Additional Options) which will allow you to provide Attachments like tune/log files, excel files etc. ...MANAGE ATTACHMENTS...Follow the directions....

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]