Thread: Looking for constructive criticism/ insight

Potential Tuner

Looking for constructive criticism/ insight

Ok, here we go. 2010 Suburban, LC9 engine, AFM disabled, Magnuson MP112, underdrive rear jackshaft pulley, 2.9" drive pulley, custom Airaid UBI 4" OD intake with LS3/LS7 MAF and AEM dryflow filter, LS9 injectors, Bosch Cobra electric coolant pump, CX Racing heat dual pass heat exchanger, muffler shop 3" catback with Flowmaster knockoff, 3.08 gears, 4wd. Nothing spectacular.

I realize that the supercharger unit was never intended for a VVT engine, as it came off of a TBSS. I bought it for 2500 plus ancillaries, so I'm not complaining. I'm also not the brightest crayon in the box, as I installed it on December 30, when ambient temps around here were -10 -20F. Anyway, I'm on my 34th iteration of the tune, and I cant seem to get rid of this KR. Some of it is real, some is not. This 34th iteration included re enabling VVT spark timing. Drives pretty good, engine felt... like it was fighting itself, definitely more vacuum and better supercharger control, but also felt like it was blowing through the transmission. Attached are Tune 34, and a datalog of me driving home from work. I apologise in advance for the long log. I like to collect as much information as possible when I log data.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yeah try to get a log up.

I think less timing and less fuel would help. 10.8 commanded AFR is too rich if you ask me, try for 11.3-11.4ish and somewhere around 15 degrees of timing to start instead of 17ish. Though it looks like you have the IAT spark correction table pulling timing at anything above 86 degrees.

Some of the transmission stuff I'd return to stock. I leave all transmission TM on and I do not ever touch the adaptive pressure master enable/disable tables.

I can normally achieve everything I want by increasing the shift times to around .3000, adding 10-15% more shift pressure and adding roughly the same amount to the on-coming pressure presets. The TM and adaptive tables are kinda what keep these transmission alive.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I'm honestly not sure I'd even bat an eye at 1 degree of knock at part throttle and very low boost and that knock at 1,000-1,500rpm is a little strange to see but hard to say why.

The reason I said to try a leaner mixture is because being too rich could cause just as much problems as being too lean sometimes. Error on the side of caution is good but being overly rich doesn't help.

You could probably correct your airflow model rather quickly with a few logs using your wideband an an AFR or lambda error. It would fix those fuel trims right up.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

It seems to drive okay from the looks of it.

Fuel trims are still a little out there sometimes and often the engine is under boost and closed loop still active. A few times there it was up around 3-5psi with closed loop still going and showing some knock retard. It may be one of those things where you will want your map KPA to trigger power enrichment instead of your foot because you can get into boost without being at 50% or higher on the throttle. Maybe a slightly lower pedal enable setting and have the MAP kpa trigger it at just over 1-2psi or 110kpa.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmfan24 View Post
    The data points were at 2400rpm.
    What is your PE Delay RPM value?. PE will cut in below this, but only after the Delay parameters have expired.
    Ian B
    '15 Holden VF SSVR L77(gone), '19 Ford Ranger PX3 3.2TD, '22 Toyota GDJ150

Tuner
    Just FYI the pedal position in the PE enable table does not match with the reported throttle positions in the scanner. From my understanding the % is something to do with the open area of the throttle with the idle area subtracted...not that it matters. I dug this chart up a few years ago on the other forum and it has always been super close for my e38 tuning.

E38-PE-TPS_01.jpg
    69 Chevelle 418" LS3, 11.25:1,PRC 260 heads, TSP 235/239, Longtubes, dual 3", 4L80, 3.42
    2010 Corvette Grand Sport A6, Heartbeat blower, 78mm pulley/10% lower, Kooks Long Tubes, 224/232 blower cam, ID1050x's, ECS stage 1 fuel system, alkycontrol meth system

Lower load and rpm knock is going to be hard to get rid of it because it's not an all the time type of thing. That log showed most of it in the 800-1400rpm range. These engines/calibrations do have overly sensitive knock sensor so it could be just that happening. I also think that your trucks gearing and tire size do not help you here. Those 3.08's put a different load on everything compared to a truck with the more standard 3.42's or 3.73 gears.

If you are able to dial in your fueling a little more as it's still pulling 8-12% worth of fuel, then maybe playing with a knock sensor sensitivity a little it should greatly help. Even in boost you may be a tad rich still, duty cycle is creeping up on 100% but without a wideband in the logs I can't see what it really is like.