Thread: Point Me In The Right Direction For 3bar OS 411..

Tuner in Training

Point Me In The Right Direction For 3bar OS 411..

So I am trying to get my Foxbody swap all ready for the infamous "first start", but ive already run into hptuner issues. The car has a turbo 4.8, 80e, ls9 map sensor, drive by cable, and a 411 pcm (from 2001 Sierra) which has the 12208322 OS. Ive read that the OS will not support 3bar, so which OS should I go with? I would like to have RTT too if possible?
    Last edited by Jensenb; 02-15-2018 at 10:22 PM.

If you want 3 BAR and you OS does not have it you have to switch OS's or computers. A computer swap is likely cheaper because most P01 computers can be had for less than $50 bucks from junkyards.

Or burn 4 credits to license your file, then license a file that offers a 3 BAR OS that is cable driven and write entire into your computer.

Or run 14-15psi to stay within your 2 bar window with your computer. Some even run the dice and go above the VE's limit of 210kpa, they just make sure there is enough fuel for when they go over the 210kpa mark.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    this one should work 2002 express 1500
    osid.jpg

as mentioned should just try to find one from a supported vehicle with a better OS.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Ok, from my searching I've heard that there is a risk if I write entire a whole new OS I could brick the ecu. Also its been hard to get relevant information as alot of people were posting using the older 2.x versions. Will all the 3.x software inferchange smoothly? Which OS should I go with?

you should run the latest version of hptuners. the latest version is supposed to have a write rescue feature to help prevent bricking due to writing.
    aslo the list of features that are included in the scanner are well worth the upgrade to V3.x on its own.

Tuner in Training
    Ok great, I am running the V3.6. So please correct me if im wrong..Do I have only two options? ;

A- License my pcm, license an OS from a 02 express (which has the segment swap 80e), license 3bar mode Total=6 credits

B- Find/buy pcm from express at junkyard and license it, hope it has 3bar mode and license it Total=4 credits plus pcm cost

I would just go with option A

you already have 0411 PCM

should only cost 4 credits - the 3 bar OS upgrade has been free for a few years now

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help guys! There's a lot of stuff to learn here all at once! Seeing 2bar does not cost any credits I may just stick with this original OS then and use 2bar enhancement until I can get proficient at tuning or pass it over to a pro.
    Spinnin Aint Winnin

if you can deal with running the controller down to remain under the 2 bar limit then its your cheapest and most time efficient option.
    once your ready you can either do the OS swap for 2 more credits or you can find another ecu for again 2 more credits. This is assuming you already used 2 credits on this ecu you already have.

Tuner in Training
    Ok I haven't yet licensed it, as I'd like to figure this all out before I pull the trigger. I am now leaning towards what you guys have suggested and just upgrade the OS to the 12212156 on 3bar mode, then segment swapping will be much easier for the 4l80e and DBC TB. Does that sound like a good plan? Now I'm a little confused in that the 2002 van files I've found because they have a 5.7L tune with the 80e, again can/do I have to segment swap it back to a 4.8L?
    Spinnin Aint Winnin

You don't have to use a van file. You can look in the tune repository for a 2002 4.8 silverado file, you are likely to find one that support 3 bar or even a 5.3 file and just change the cylinder volume and stuff back for a 4.8. Either way the entire airflow and timing curve will be completely redone for the turbo setup.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok great, so I will license mine, import/license a 02 Sierra with .156 OS with available 3bar enhancement, then I can segment in a 80e?
    Spinnin Aint Winnin

Ok great, so I will license mine, import/license a 02 Sierra with .156 OS with available 3bar enhancement, then I can segment in a 80e?
    Yep - you will just need to find a 4l80E file with the same OS to segment swap

you can download tunes off the repository and use them for segment swapping (using the compare function) without licensing them - download and then rename them in windows explorer so you know what it is and then open in HPT compare

I recommend building your base file with the 4l80e segment swap finished before you apply the 3bar custom OS

save each file revision as you go along in case something goes wrong you won't have to start completely from scratch

Tuner in Training
    I really appreciate the help, thanks! I ended up buying a 411 pcm with the 2156 OS on it from the scrappers since it was half price day ($25cdn). The first one was tuner locked but the second one is good and I just licensed it. My problem is this: The pcm is from a '02 van with the 5.7 tbi engine (but has the 80E) I selected the 3bar OS but I am not sure if I should do a write ENTIRE after tweaking the VE table (As I read in hptuners/help tutorial), change the engine back to 4.8l with "segment swapper" and tweaking VE table OR simply apply the 3bar OS only and do all calibrations after?
    Spinnin Aint Winnin

OS changes must be write entire, doing a write calibration only can brick the computer.

Change the required stuff for your engine like cylinder volume and timing or whatever and then write entire with the 3 bar OS.

Tuner in Training
    Excellent, that's what I will do then. 5 finger rocks!

make sure you only write entire the OS upgrade once. Any flashes to change calibration data after that initial write entire should be calibration only.
    This is per the flashing instructions for OS upgrades.