Thread: E86 Duramax Bench Read for VIN

E86 Duramax Bench Read for VIN

Is there anyway to pull the vin out of my E86 without soldering into the CPU? I am building a standalone harness for a customer and I need the VIN so he can locate a BCM... of course he doesn?t know the original vin and I can?t run service/hardware numbers to get it. The ECM is the first version out of a 13 model truck so he claims. I verified I have corrrect GMLAN pin to pin and power/ground however HPTuners just keeps telling me the same default error for communications.
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Tuner
    SO I know this is old. Just thought I would chime in so it was something people can search for.

You don't need to do that via GMLAN. You can do it through the CAN bus on a bench. You just need 12b+, 12 ign, ground, CAN-H and CAN-L. Just remember to put a 120 ohm resistor between CAN-H and CAN-L (yes, bridge them) near the back of the DLC. If you are benching JUST the ECM, and no other devices on your bench CAN bus, it will expect to be terminated, which is what the resistor is used for.

Here is a link from EFI with some common pinouts. Yes, it's not what you needed, but maybe this will help others out too. Again, you don't NEED GMLAN to do this. A regular arduino and a CANbus shield and some resistance between CANH/L and it should work for you.

If I am incorrect here, tell me, as I am still learning this CAN stuff, but this is what worked for me.