Thread: PLX SM-AFR wide-band through serial usb

Potential Tuner

PLX SM-AFR wide-band through serial usb

Hi, I'm new to HP tuners, and after seeing the PLX listed in the channels under "serial" decided to give it a try. When I start scanning the vehicle, the channel I added disappears (which I gather from other posts means that it's not reading correctly). I'm able to view my AFR in PLX's scan software so I know the controller and interface are working correctly. Does this wide-band have native HP tuners support and if not, is there anything I can do to get it working? I have the standard HP tuners interface so the 5v output isn't an option. Thanks in advance.

I haven't actually interfaced to the PLX but have used the MTX-L and AEM 4110/0333. Assume the process is the same. You will need a serial to USB adapter cable from the WB to your laptop. Here is where I am not sure. You will either connect the gauge serial wires to a mating DB9 connector (pins 2 and 5) or run that line to the controller TX input and tap the RX line to install the DB9 connector. Pin outs and stuff should be contained in your manual.

If you get it working, I would appreciate the details as I would like to add the detailed "how to" to our Wideband Course.....

thx,

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 09-21-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    I haven't actually interfaced to the PLX but have used the MTX-L and AEM 4110/0333. Assume the process is the same. You will need a serial to USB adapter cable from the WB to your laptop. Here is where I am not sure. You will either connect the gauge serial wires to a mating DB9 connector (pins 1 and 5) or run that line to the controller TX input and tap the RX line to install the DB9 connector. Pin outs and stuff should be contained in your manual.

If you get it working, I would appreciate the details as I would like to add the detailed "how to" to our Wideband Course.....

thx,

Ed M

So simply connecting plx's usb->serial cable to the PC isn't enough? Doing so lets me see both my wide-band and boost gauge in PLX's software.. but hptuners can't interface this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar187 View Post
    So simply connecting plx's usb->serial cable to the PC isn't enough? Doing so lets me see both my wide-band and boost gauge in PLX's software.. but hptuners can't interface this way?
    That is correct...If you need assistance I would be glad to help through our one on one iteractive traing session.....on the house so all can learn. Send me a email at [email protected] if interested.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    That is correct...If you need assistance I would be glad to help through our one on one iteractive traing session.....on the house so all can learn. Send me a email at [email protected] if interested.

Ed M
    So i ordered a usb-> serial adapter and a db9 connector. I will give it a shot when it gets here and will let you know if I need further assistance.

Potential Tuner
    So as it turns out, HPTuners CAN interface with the PLX controller with a factory style cable.

The cable I put together was imitating this one: http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?t=2555 and should also produce the same results as the factory PLX USB logger cable.

The solution came in the form of a software "hack" which is described here. Pretty much you use VPSE to create a pair of virtual serial ports, then use his converter (which converts the PLX iMFD data stream into the AEM UEGO format).

I then added an AEM Air/fuel ratio channel in VCM scanner, connected, started scanning, and it popped right up!

working.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar187 View Post
    So as it turns out, HPTuners CAN interface with the PLX controller with a factory style cable.

The cable I put together was imitating this one: http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?t=2555 and should also produce the same results as the factory PLX USB logger cable.

The solution came in the form of a software "hack" which is described here. Pretty much you use VPSE to create a pair of virtual serial ports, then use his converter (which converts the PLX iMFD data stream into the AEM UEGO format).

I then added an AEM Air/fuel ratio channel in VCM scanner, connected, started scanning, and it popped right up!

working.jpg
    So if I understand, if you wired the rca jack pins to the DB9 connector (pins 1 and 5) it would interface to a "store bought" serial to USB convetor cable? I am not sure what the software does though? I assume the software would work with the standard cable?

Thank you for the followup

Ed M

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    So if I understand, if you wired the rca jack pins to the DB9 connector (pins 1 and 5) it would interface to a "store bought" serial to USB convetor cable? I am not sure what the software does though? I assume the software would work with the standard cable?

Thank you for the followup

Ed M
    I was unable to get any data using the db9 connector. The PLX data logging cable (and the one i made) consists of a small usb->serial converter with a 3.5mm jack on one end, and usb on the other. This configuration isn't recognized by hptuners with the PLX serial channel added. However, with that converter program running, it is.

I'm willing to give the method you described another shot, in hopes of not having to run 2 other programs to get the data. The cable I'm using only uses 2 of the possible 3 connections: the very tip, which is connected to the RX pin on the serial->usb converter, and the very bottom (ground) pin connected to the ground. Are these the 2 wires that I would need to connect to pins on the db9 connector? Or would I need to use a 3 wire (stereo) 3.5mm jack? Also, the whole db9 system is kind of confusing (where a male to female adapter doesn't go straight through it criss crosses several wires) so I'm not positive I did everything correctly when I attempted it...

edit:
    A store bought db9->3.5mm adapter has pin 5 going to the ground, pin 2 going to the tip, and pin 3 going to the middle one
    Last edited by Kevlar187; 02-27-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Looking at purchasing a PLX wide band, as i would like to be able to read A/F through my phone or a permanent gauge later on.

So just to confirm:

Your running PLX wide band?

Using a USB to serial converter cable? (where from)

And with the software the standard version of HP will read and log this data?

Thanks, Jake

Potential Tuner
    I tried this as I use the same method with EvoScan. Unfortunately as soon as I connect, the AEM channel disappears just like the PLX. I have it set up to mirror to Com 1, but it seems the software isn't recognizing the stream?

Potential Tuner
    Does anyone know what port VCM Sanner is using for the serial connection? Thanks

Potential Tuner
    EDIT: Got it figured out. To answer the 2 most recent posts above, the virtual port in the PLXtoAEM converter had to be set to COM2. It could be different depending on what USB ports you use, but for me it wouldn't work on any other port.

Orig: I know this thread is kind of old, but has anyone gotten it working since the last few posts?

I have the serial to USB converter working with the virtual COM port emulator and PLXtoAEM converter. The converter program is properly displaying the AFR reading from my PLX wideband, but I'm also having the problem of the AEM channel in VCM Scanner disappearing as soon as I start logging.
    Last edited by NorNevIRL; 01-20-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Solved.

Potential Tuner
    bump.

anyone have any luck with this? i too am at the point where the plx->aem converter is seeing my afr but HPtuners is not picking up the signal and the channel disappears after i start a log

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dram1983361 View Post
    bump.

anyone have any luck with this? i too am at the point where the plx->aem converter is seeing my afr but HPtuners is not picking up the signal and the channel disappears after i start a log
    Hate to bring up an old thread. What windows are you running? When running the plx aem convertor are you using the "PLX serial port as the port of which the usb to plugged into? Then when running the VSPE are you using port 1 as the plx port in the plx aem convertor then port 2 as what?? Because I've ran this every which way I know how to and I get nothing.

Tuner in Training
    Bump

Tuner in Training
    Is the new Pro link cable that comes with the MPVI2 able to do this? or would I still need to use a converter program?

Tuner in Training
    I found this today. Hope this helps some of yall
    https://youtu.be/s_-DOPHVdG8