Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late model Ford's Torque Control ETC System

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    if the ECU is seeing more airflow than expected or less than expected you get error.
    So in this case -10 engine brake tq means it's just a miscalculation of tq. output due to the airflow issue?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    Murfie, that was my bad. In the screenshot I posted, the desired angle is rounded to one decimal (it keeps going back to that). It is rounding 1.55* up to 2*. When expended to the same precision, they essentially match.

Should "ETC TQ Request" match "Engine Brake TQ"? If so, would you correct errors like this in the Indicated TQ / Inverse tables, or Driver Demand?
    Any thoughts on the question raised by CCS86 about how to best match ETC Tq Req to Engine Brake Tq as I was wondering the same thing. Thanks!

trying to understand the ETC/MAF torque intervention prevention patent that murfie posted but I can't find the thread so I'm posting here.

attached spreadsheet has the logic from the patent (best I can tell) so you can input numbers for MAF and throttle, + load etc to see what the algorithm produces.
    USER INPUT CELLS HAVE RED BOLD TEXT

ETC MAF patent flow chart.xlsxECT MAF flowchart.JPG
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by venom62 View Post
    Any thoughts on the question raised by CCS86 about how to best match ETC Tq Req to Engine Brake Tq as I was wondering the same thing. Thanks!
    Yes and no; If they match you will accelerate as the TB will open to allow the engine to produce more power, if its slightly above it will do the same just faster. Too high and the request is unreasonable and you will get oscillations, too low and the tb will close and the car will die.

Quote Originally Posted by txtailtorcher View Post
    Yes and no; If they match you will accelerate as the TB will open to allow the engine to produce more power, if its slightly above it will do the same just faster. Too high and the request is unreasonable and you will get oscillations, too low and the tb will close and the car will die.

I don't think it's that simple.

Take idle for instance. You can have a net positive or net negative difference between Brake Torque and ETC Torque, and the car is still idling stably.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    I don't think it's that simple.

Take idle for instance. You can have a net positive or net negative difference between Brake Torque and ETC Torque, and the car is still idling stably.
    You are correct its not that simple; but that's the idea of it. I think it would use adaptive methods to idle such as the spark and TB modulation in conjunction with CL fueling to target stoich and desired idle speed. Then depending on trans type (auto or manual) it would use the ETC system to build tq reserve by letting the TC slip or disengage the clutches (or in a manual, the clutch has to be obviously pressed in or it will die) and control idle that way.

Potential Tuner
    Brilliant, thankyou for this info

Great post. However, I've read it 6 times and still can't fully wrap my head around everything. I'm currently having some driveability issues. Specifically at low RPM and low load my timing jumps all over the place as my Spark Source repeatedly jumps between Base and Torque Control:

InkedDriveability Issues_LI.jpg

Does this mean my ETC Torque Request and/or Scheduled torque for these conditions is exceeding my Driver Demand tables? I have tried increasing the Driver Demand tables and that didn't seem to do the trick. I've also tried raising and lowering my Torque Tables for the given mapped points (and adjusting inverse tables), and I've adjusting my MAF Airflow vs Period.

I've attached a log with a cold start, cruise, and some high load conditions. Matching tune as well.

TTS V3 Drive 1 3.31.20.hpl
    TTS V3 - increased MAF period table 3.30.20.hpt

Tuner in Training
    i would very much like for this post to be stickied

Tuner
    Any news on part throttle torque control issues some of us are having?

Addition to my earlier post:

Still having issues with Torque Control. I have progressively changed my Torque tables up and down in increments of 10lb-ft for the problem areas and that hasn't made a difference. Next I've moved on to adjusting the Driver Demand tables in a similar fashion, but still no noticeable changes. Next I moved on to adjusting my timing in those problem areas. I lowered everything around 8 degrees (55 to 47) This has made it behave differently... Still not correct though. I have a bit more consistency in steady state cruising, but occasionally it does flutter in and out of Torque Control. The swings in timing seem to be more extreme now, but less often. It also seems to be way worse before everything is up to temperature.

4.23.20.PNG

4.23.20 pic2.PNG

Can anybody provide any insight as to what triggers Torque Control to kick in? From what I've read it sounds like your torque tables exceeding the driver demand tables, but adjusting those doesn't seem to make a difference. Also, what controls the timing while it is in Torque Control mode?

Tuner in Training
    In the scanner I have available "Indicated Torque Reference". Does this represent the "Indicated Torque" or the "Indicated Estimated Torque"?