Thread: No start after flash/segment swap

Tuner in Training

No start after flash/segment swap

Hey guys, I've been playing with this for the past few days without much success. I have an 0411 PCM with a 5.3L/4L80E swapped into a 68 C10, running a single bar SD OS. I had the truck up and running well but as soon as I went to do the trans segment swap I started having a no-start issue. After flashing the PCM and keying off/on, attempt to restart results in the truck firing and dieing immediately, wideband shows a faily rich mixture. If I put my foot into the gas just enough to crack the throttle blade it will fire and run decently but refuses to idle.

Before last night, I was able to flash the original PCM tune back in the truck and it would run and idle great, however, that doesn't seem to be the case now. This issue seems to be a constant problem now, even though the IAC and all the other mechanical components are all working fine.

I've tried the following:
    -Segment swap directly from original PCM tune
    -Segment swap from original tune, then re-segment swap all settings BUT trans settings
    -Segment swap from SD single bar

If it will help, I can post the tune. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Ryan
    Last edited by Janz99; 02-21-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Yes, post tune and logs.

Just doing the segment swap with the transmission and transmission diag segments should not cause it to not start.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Went out tonight, disconnected the battery (assuming reset the ecu), flashed my last known good tune and it fired back up like usual....... I'm not exactly sure what is going on. Bad flash possibly? Ive tried flashing the segment swapped tunes and it reverts back to no start.

Attached is my known good tune, the tune I'm using for the segment swap as well as the PCM's original tune. Is there any obvious issues using this tune for the swap or with the known good tune file? I've looked through everything I could think of and I don't see anything that should be causing this issue. I'm leaning towards a flashing issue at this point.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Maybe something went wrong with the flash but it's hard to say.

Here are the steps I would take to achieve what you want.

Take the original file from the computer. Use that file and the file you wish to use as the segment swap. Apply the segment swap for the transmission first. Then once that is complete open that new file and use a stock 2001 5.3 file to use for the engine side. Open the file in the compare feature. Click compare at the top, then down to view comparison log, click collapse all boxes. Right click the engine icon and down to copy over all difference. This will copy over all the stock calibration data from the 5.3 file into the 4.8 file. So it will now be a true 5.3 with a 4L80e segment.

With you saying this is going to be a speed density tune you will want to fail the MAF within the tune. Set the MAF fail high to 0hz, then the 3 MAF DTC's to MIL on first error. Also disable VATS on this new file. You will need a IAT sensor wired in if you removed the MAF completely.

Flash this whole new file into the computer and see if it starts. If it starts and runs you are good to go. If you wish to apply the speed density patch afterwards that is up to you.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Maybe something went wrong with the flash but it's hard to say.

Here are the steps I would take to achieve what you want.

Take the original file from the computer. Use that file and the file you wish to use as the segment swap. Apply the segment swap for the transmission first. Then once that is complete open that new file and use a stock 2001 5.3 file to use for the engine side. Open the file in the compare feature. Click compare at the top, then down to view comparison log, click collapse all boxes. Right click the engine icon and down to copy over all difference. This will copy over all the stock calibration data from the 5.3 file into the 4.8 file. So it will now be a true 5.3 with a 4L80e segment.

With you saying this is going to be a speed density tune you will want to fail the MAF within the tune. Set the MAF fail high to 0hz, then the 3 MAF DTC's to MIL on first error. Also disable VATS on this new file. You will need a IAT sensor wired in if you removed the MAF completely.

Flash this whole new file into the computer and see if it starts. If it starts and runs you are good to go. If you wish to apply the speed density patch afterwards that is up to you.
    I will definitely try this. Is this the "normal" order of operations for a speed density tune? Applying the patch last after all other changes being made?

The truck has a GM IAT wired in, the maf and all its associated wiring has been completely removed. I was also not failing the maf, however, the factory PCM tune seemed to work even without the maf which is why it was confusing when i reflashed it and it still wouldnt start.

Generally the speed density upgrades can be done whenever but if you are trying to do segment swaps, those should generally always be done to the stock OS. Once the swap stuff is done then doing the upgrades and changes required.

Tuner in Training
    Here is what I did:

-Using stock PCM tune, segment swapped trans and trans diagnostics with 2001 Silverado file
    -Saved file and closed all files
    -Open original pcm tune and using compare feature copy over all data other then trans data from stock 5.3 tune
    -Closed compared file and saved original PCM file
    -Changed Maf fail hz to zero, and change 3 maf MILS to default on first error and uncheck ses box
    -Applied SD OS

Everything look ok?

Original PCM Tune-Segment Swapped_SD.hpt

Go ahead and try that if you want. The OS change does require a write entire.

You do not have to apply the OS upgrade though. You can attempt to just flash it without the OS upgrade first (less risk involved there). The tune can be run just fine without going to a SD tune right away.

Tuner in Training
    Worked like a champ!! Fired right up and everything seems to be working as it should. Here is a log of the startup in case anyone was curious.

The only thing I can see that isn't working correctly is the PRNDL status. It shows the truck in D4 even though it is currently in park. Any ideas where to start trouble shooting this? Tune, wiring or mechanical issue?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz99 View Post
    Worked like a champ!! Fired right up and everything seems to be working as it should. Here is a log of the startup in case anyone was curious.

The only thing I can see that isn't working correctly is the PRNDL status. It shows the truck in D4 even though it is currently in park. Any ideas where to start trouble shooting this? Tune, wiring or mechanical issue?
    Did you get your trans figured out?
    2014 GMC Sierra Z71
    5.3 N/A
    Mod'd stock intake
    Exhaust

LQ9 swapped '69 Chevelle in progress

Tuner in Training
    I narrowed it down to the "module" or whatever it is called inside the transmission. I verified all the wiring is correct and the shift linkage is working as intended. This winter I am going to replace the pan gasket and the module as well while im in there. (Sorry for the late response, forgot about this thread).