Thread: 2008 Suburban with 2013 camaro ss motor build noob help.

Tuner in Training

2008 Suburban with 2013 camaro ss motor build noob help.

Hello,

Long story short as poss.

08 suburban 2500 4x4. 6.0 ly6 .030 over all forged stock stroke, 6l90e trans/w tow mod /DD 2800 converter, headers, gm ls9 cam, gm 90mm throttle body, Bosch 0280158051 (42lbs/58psi), upgraded fuel rail..-evap crap, cold air intake, new 3 row radiator (old was a one), added huge trans cooler, single plane intake Holley (for boost after break in), converted to 08 gm electric fans, does have AC. live on the coast if elevation matters.

After cross referencing all parts important parts its a match to a 2013 Camaro SS. As a NOOB .....is starting to tweak the stock tune better or just go to a 2013 Camaro SS tune, found a few in the repos. Haven't scanned stock computer with engine out and fuel lines off.

Jason

Tuner in Training
    To add to the post there are few if any tuners up here in Alaska. Found one and they only operate in the summer when im gone working. Daily driver with a heavy foot.

Thanks Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AKJay1970 View Post
    Hello,

Long story short as poss.

08 suburban 2500 4x4. 6.0 ly6 .030 over all forged stock stroke, 6l90e trans/w tow mod /DD 2800 converter, headers, gm ls9 cam, gm 90mm throttle body, Bosch 0280158051 (42lbs/58psi), upgraded fuel rail..-evap crap, cold air intake, new 3 row radiator (old was a one), added huge trans cooler, single plane intake Holley (for boost after break in), converted to 08 gm electric fans, does have AC. live on the coast if elevation matters.

After cross referencing all parts important parts its a match to a 2013 Camaro SS. As a NOOB .....is starting to tweak the stock tune better or just go to a 2013 Camaro SS tune, found a few in the repos. Haven't scanned stock computer with engine out and fuel lines off.

Jason

I would do a compare with the ss file before flashing anything ,,, make sure you set up your injector info for the part number your installing ,,, invest in a afr meter,,this will help dial in PE,do a lot research and reading ,

Tuner in Training
    Yes I do have a AFR meter. Also deleted VVT. I have been reading allot and will continue, just wanting to get the thing to start/idle to start logging data.

Jas

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone recommend a online tutorial/class for basic tuning. Forums and the net reading are hit and miss, and you cant tell if its legit info. "Tuning for Dummies"? I have a reasonable knowledge of computer systems in a cnc machining aspect.

Another question is when looking at tunes are there any rules to follow meaning when your comparing do you need to stay with matched years, or computers ..etc.

Thank you
    Jas

ERM Performances offers a good course for new people. Maybe check them out.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you sir.

J

Tuner in Training

First tune 08 Suburban

If anyone can look at the tune files and offer any adjustments to the file. We have no tuners in Ak. I poked at the basics and it will be the first starting of the rebuild motor.

2008 chevy suburban all 6200 lbs of her
    6.0lt rebuild .030 over
    forged bottom end, slightly lower compression for boost later 9:1
    LS9 cam
    VVT delete kit
    Headers
    Cold air
    2800 stall DD converter
    added a large trans cooler inline
    Added Efans on a relay out of the PCM
    no cats, no rear O2s
    hushpower muffler
    replaced 1 row radiator with a huge 3 row
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    If I want to test the efans I added to see if they are getting a signal from the PCM in the scanner can I do the adjustment in the editor then do I write calibration or do I need to write entire to turn them on manually in the scanner?

Tuner in Training
    Did a write cal with no luck. Triple checked the wiring, test PCM output to the relays 12v, tried the override in the scanner and nothing. Manually grounded the fans and they work. Havent started the vehicle on a fresh rebuild...waiting for tune to be done.

Is there any reason that the VCM Scanner override would not turn the fans on?

J

Tuner in Training
    Have you considered remote tuning? There are many tuners that will remote tune your car if you send them logs with a wideband.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, im already doing so. And doing a tutorial class. Just wanted to test the PCM controlling the fans. I have a E38 Pcm and have heard they are tricky. The system setting seem easy but I must be missing something or there is a hidden OS setting.
    Main Operating 12622142
    System 12622216

Under the scanner controls I got the fans to turn on for like 1 sec. But so far cant repeat that.

I have volts tested at the PCM and it holds 12v with no change.

J

Tuner in Training
    PCMforLess to the rescue. Wow what a difference.

Anyone know why Bank 2 LTFT are asking +15-20% and the rest are perfect(+-2.0) more like 1-.8 trims.lol
    Jason

Swap sensors side to side to see if it follows and double check for exhaust leaks and vacuum leaks before the o2 sensor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Will do... I just found a post after letting my brain figure that it was a fuel or vac leak. o2s on the log seem ok. I do have a bit of tweaking to do

Tuner in Training
    LTft were reset because I was running open headers before and the o2s hated it.

Add on...... no Vac leak via water bottle technique

O2s will have to wait till tomorrow
    Last edited by AKJay1970; 05-03-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Update

O2s are good, so its looking like my temporary tacked in exhaust pipe my has leaks at the collector area and the o2 is only 2" from that. As logging....I increase the rpms and the ltft goes down where it is suppose to be. To me that kind looks like a vac leak but ill have the exhaust in early next week with a wideband and go from there.
    • File Type: hpl 7.hpl (690.9 KB, 8 views)
    Last edited by AKJay1970; 05-03-2018 at 04:40 PM.