Thread: Am I screwed on passing inspection??

Tuner in Training

Question Am I screwed on passing inspection??

I bought the truck with long tubes and no cats. I installed a 3" cat and muffler and got HPTuners Pro and told the truck to ignore the rear 2 O2 sensors to stop throwing a CEL. I finally took it to get it checked and they failed me. The paperwork shows the O2 sensors not ready, O2 heaters not ready and catalyst not ready. He said to drive it 80-100 miles and come back. He doesn't know the rear sensors are gone

I originally just unchecked the boxes at the #2 sensors and flashed it to the truck. I now have also changed the option to "no error reported" and flashed it to the truck. Also unchecked and changed status of the "catalyst system efficiency". After these changes I looked in VCM Scanner for DTC's and it shows Evap system "incomplete", Oxy sensor "incomplete", Oxy Sensor Heater "incomplete" and those are in red. So, will driving it for a while truly help or am I hosed at passing an inspection here?

Is there any way for me to pass without rear sensors? I don't know what their computer looks for. My only other option is to take it to Oklahoma and register it under my dad's address, cause they don't check anything there

I would love to post some screen shots, but I'm a tool and I don't know this new laptop or this forum. Sorry
    02 Silverado 1500 Reg Cab stepside, 4.8L, longtubes, 3" exh. Someday a 6.0/4L80E
    16 Denali 3500 CCLB Dually. Stock for a while

Post the tune file. You can post attachments under manage attachments in the reply tab, or the little paper clip icon at "Go Advanced".
    Last edited by veee8; 02-23-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    I kept getting my butt kicked by it the other day. I'll try. Between Edge, Chrome and Explorer it took me a long time to attach a file the other day and today it didn't want to attach the screen pic I had on my desktop.
    02 Silverado 1500 Reg Cab stepside, 4.8L, longtubes, 3" exh. Someday a 6.0/4L80E

Tuner in Training

Tuner in Training
    That file is what's in the truck right now, after I made some changes to the settings when I failed my insp.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    If I remember correctly setting it to no error will prevent sensor tests. You might need o2 simulators, or just put some cats in with new sensors. Hi flow cats really aren't that restrictive. I typically reinstall them when making an exhaust system since I'm not after every tenth of a hp.
    The car from this video flows pretty similar to a lot of street style ls builds. It was tuned by SAM, which is a deep racing technology school who have set records and play with hpt on a regular basis. Not every vehicle behaves the same, like turbos benefit largely from large reductions in back pressure but if your na then the gains are going g to be minimal.
    https://youtu.be/JGBe5OQg410

Tuner in Training
    I bought the truck with the long tubes and Y pipe on it, he had a mess of an exhaust from there back with no cat. His county doesn't do emission insp, mine does though. I put a Magnaflow 3" cat and muffler under the truck and need to pass insp in order to register it in my name now. The cat is much further back from the stock area and it's a single exhaust at that point. I debated about getting sensor extension lines and adding 2 weld in bungs post cat, but it will be a hideous system at that point with 2 sensors in the same pipe right next to each other.

You can weld in one port and use 1 sensor. People have been doing this for the front as well. Take the side that's farther away and splice it to the other sides oem harness. Then run one extension down to the post cat position. And install a sensor. Computer will read that sensors heater and signal loop on both banks even though there is only one sensor.

Tuner in Training
    I took it for a drive out in the country and back at various speeds and at least one of the items changed from the not ready state. I was sitting in a parking lot, so I didn't screen shot it or anything yet. Tomorrow I'll plug in and check some stuff. Texas says my year of truck can have one item in the not ready state and pass. Fingers crossed

Tuner in Training
    You simply have to change the other supporting codes to no error reported. You will know when you have them all when it changes to ready status.

thats how it is for reno. no codes and one test incomplete.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by learfxr View Post
    I took it for a drive out in the country and back at various speeds and at least one of the items changed from the not ready state. I was sitting in a parking lot, so I didn't screen shot it or anything yet. Tomorrow I'll plug in and check some stuff. Texas says my year of truck can have one item in the not ready state and pass. Fingers crossed
    I agree, just set all o2 codes to no error reporting, then use hptuners to show any codes and look at the readiness status.

Tuner in Training
    I learned something today, after taking it for a long drive last night it was starting to look better. Then today I loaded a new tune to disable the MAF and do some driving to log some info. Got back home and looked at the status, and they are all back to not ready. So it must reset every time you load a tune, oops. So time to start all over again.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes everyone you load a tune or clear the codes it resets.

This is your file that should pass the monitors except O2 heater that will go through as you drive it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. I downloaded it and will look it over. Will prob be tomorrow before I do anything with the truck

Senior Tuner
    I believe you must leave the box checked and set DTC to no error reported. It's having the box checked that allows the test....pretty sure...
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    I believe you must leave the box checked and set DTC to no error reported. It's having the box checked that allows the test....pretty sure...
    Not true on a GM
    www.crawford-racing.com

Tuner in Training
    IT PASSED!

Thanks for the input guys! I truly appreciate the help for a newb. Now the truck is in my name and I can get back to work on it. Time for the wideband install

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by learfxr View Post
    IT PASSED!

Thanks for the input guys! I truly appreciate the help for a newb. Now the truck is in my name and I can get back to work on it. Time for the wideband install
    so what was the fix here? I just did a fan on tune. that is all i changed...
    now we are getting not ready so it wont pass inspection.