Thread: My E38 has a mind of it's own. Is it Possesed?

Tuner

My E38 has a mind of it's own. Is it Possesed?

I've been trying to calibrate the Katech engine I put in my '12 Z06.

Been having huge knock retard. I know it's not false knock because, holy s**t, I can hear it as well as see it in scans.

So....I've been taking timing out, but in scans after taking timing out, I see the ECM commanding more spark than is programmed in the spark tables. For example, at 6800 rpm and 100-kPa manifold pressure, I have 12-deg advance programmed but in scans, I see 23-deg. being commanded. WTF?

Anyone had experience with this?
    Hib Halverson
    Just Another Tuner in Training.

Tuner
    I first started this thread in the Gen 3 forum by mistake and "GHuggins" replied:

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Post the tune and a log with all of the spark pids in it. Not uncommon to have adders else where changing timing... On a side note - you sure your fuelling is correct?
    Ok. The cal file and the most recent log are posted. In re: the log, I was only logging timing advance and KR.

You can see from the spark tables that I've pulled a ton of spark out, trying to see some effect on KR, but the log shows the ECM commanding more spark than I calibrated.

As for my fueling being correct...it is, as best as I can determine with my LC-2 Wideband. Cmd lambda in PE is .86. I even changed sensors and got the same result. Before I started, the engine was so rich at WOT high-rpm, it was blowing black smoke...looked like a 1960s era jet taking off.

WOT22.hpl
    BB2.37.hpt
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 02-28-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Hib Halverson

Tuning Addict
    You still aren't logging anywhere near enough pids. I'm attaching one of my channel and layout configs - not everything will show up on your end in the layout, but most of the channels should work.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    Ok. I logged some data with the layout and channel set-up you sent me.

To be honest, I can't see any different conclusion from this latest log...the ECM seems to be commanding way more spark than is programmed. Got me scratchin' my head for sure.

Gotta be Russian hackers....

WOT24.hpl
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 02-28-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    Hib Halverson

Tuning Addict
    Are you basing this off of the low octane spark table? Your actually doing less timing than the commanded high octane timing and all of the other adders are requesting because of the knock learn factor kicking it down into the low octane timing table a small percent - at least from this log unless I completely looked at something wrong?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Its doing exactly what you are commanding it to do. As it travels up in Rpm the cyl air mass drops into the higher spark portion of your spark tables (Less than .84 G/cyl sec).
    Looking at the flow rate, the KR and the narrowband 02s reading, are you sure its not lean?

Tuning Addict
    I "think" what you meant to say was 4.07.16.474 right? OK, this is why I wanted you to use my scanner profile I sent you - it's logging cylinder airmass and "I think" this is where your confusion is coming from... Your WAY lower in the cylinder airmass than your seeing for some reason which is why the higher timing numbers are present... I'm attaching a picture of where I'm pretty sure your referring to in the log to show what I'm talking about... Your at a .76 cylinder airmass where in your tune your commanding a base timing of 19.6 (19.6 with a knock learn factor of 1 already has it in the low octane table at this point) with an additional knock retard of 5.2 and coolant advance of .1 so 19.6-5.2=14.4+.1=14.5, - The other .3 - I'm not entirely sure on this small portion... Picture from your log will show what I'm talking about...
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NTIMID8 View Post
    Its doing exactly what you are commanding it to do. As it travels up in Rpm the cyl air mass drops into the higher spark portion of your spark tables (Less than .84 G/cyl sec).
    Looking at the flow rate, the KR and the narrowband 02s reading, are you sure its not lean?
    Pretty sure it's not lean. You couldn't see it in the log above because the .layout and .channels files "GHuggins" posted don't support my WBO2S data. I could modify his files to put my WB data in the log, but then I'd have to go out and make some more test runs. The weather where I'm at today and tomorrow won't allow that so, I thought I'd post some log files going back a few weeks that might illustrate the problems I've had in trying to tune this. The log files won't show as much data as did the one I recorded using "GHuggins" layout and channels but it might explain a little of my problem.

First, here's what I started with:

WOT.Layout.xml
    KatechCalTst.hpl

You should be able to see in the data that the engine was rich at higher RPM. It was so rich that, when I ran this and other tests with this calibration that above 4500 or so, if I looked in the rearview, I could see a dark smoke screen. Also, when I pulled the plugs, they looked as if the engine was rich. In spite of the engine so rich, it was in KR, too, as you should be able to see.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 03-04-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Hib Halverson

Tuner
    Actually...I made some headway, today.

The weather cleared up enough late this afteroon for me to go out and road test.

Where I was f'ed up was having cyl air mass and mixed-up in my mind.

Well....duh.

But then, dumb-assed mistakes are how I learn, sometimes.

I went to some lower cyl air mass values in the 5000-6500 rpm rang and took spark out out that took a bite out of that KR at high-rpm.

Thanks to those to took the time to post.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 03-04-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    Hib Halverson