Thread: reusing Can tunes or "mail order tunes". loading file from one car to another

Tuner in Training

reusing Can tunes or "mail order tunes". loading file from one car to another

so say i have 3 friends and we all have matching ls3 camaros. and we order 3 different mail order tunes because we want to compare the differences and see which one each person likes the most. can we load each file into each others car and test each one individually? are "mail order" tunes assigned to a VIN or "watermarked" somehow?

I suppose you could do that if none of the tunes are locked.

It would require 6 credits though if you wanted to unlock each computer and edit them all.

I wouldn't suggest writing a different tune file into your computer or taking your "mail order" file and writing it to your friends computer. It is far safer to copy and paste all the changes from the other "tune" and write them into your calibration.

Or just tune it yourself with HP Tuners because you already have the product and spending money to pay a tuner is just an extra cost.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I suppose you could do that if none of the tunes are locked.

It would require 6 credits though if you wanted to unlock each computer and edit them all.

I wouldn't suggest writing a different tune file into your computer or taking your "mail order" file and writing it to your friends computer. It is far safer to copy and paste all the changes from the other "tune" and write them into your calibration.

Or just tune it yourself with HP Tuners because you already have the product and spending money to pay a tuner is just an extra cost.
    Thinking for a long term idea project. I get the idea of just coping the info over via cut and paste. Normally in my industry we do this because a machine has problems with file allocation or if you keep pulling something in and out of the machine it starts to mess up. Is this the case with tuning? Where once you write over the original file it’s best to just keep that base file going and modify via cut and paste?

Yes, sometimes that is the case.

Also if you wrote a different file into your computer it would end up changing the VIN number too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but VIN changes aren't allowed on single vehicle licenses, so you couldn't keep your VIN number either. Then if any of these cars have automatic transmissions or have anything else that talks through the can-bus system, things could potentially not work because they no longer match up.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yes, sometimes that is the case.

Also if you wrote a different file into your computer it would end up changing the VIN number too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but VIN changes aren't allowed on single vehicle licenses, so you couldn't keep your VIN number either. Then if any of these cars have automatic transmissions or have anything else that talks through the can-bus system, things could potentially not work because they no longer match up.
    ahh see that makes sense, yeah i see why you would want to copy and paste now.