Thread: what are people doing about no VE in the LS3 ECM

what are people doing about no VE in the LS3 ECM

I have a question regarding tuning the ECM on a 2008 LS3. I'm considering installing a BTR stage 3 cam. I've custom built a turbo system and tuned my LS2 GTO, E38, and I've built and tuned my centrifugal LS1/LQ9 WS6, "411". As I recall I purchased a custom OS and simply disabled the MAF, faulted a few things out, and tuned SD via the VE tables. From what I understand the ECM for the LS3 has no VE table but rather some weird assed formula which I know nothing about. What would I need to do or what route are people going to tune this ECM. FYI, I have already gotten into this ECM and tuned it for E85.

1. IS there a custom OS with a normal VE table?
    2. Can I just tune MAF and ignore the VE equation without problems?
    Last edited by ericwilloughby; 02-28-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Tuner
    Go to the top of the hptuners interface, click on the edit tab and go to virtual vve...cut/paste changes into all 4 manifold switch modes and you're golden.
    69 Chevelle 418" LS3, 11.25:1,PRC 260 heads, TSP 235/239, Longtubes, dual 3", 4L80, 3.42
    2010 Corvette Grand Sport A6, Heartbeat blower, 78mm pulley/10% lower, Kooks Long Tubes, 224/232 blower cam, ID1050x's, ECS stage 1 fuel system, alkycontrol meth system

I'll have a look. I've never heard of a switch mode. Have no idea what you're talking about. So, cut and paste what changes? Also,
    1. IS there a custom OS with a normal VE table?
    2. Can I just tune MAF and ignore the VE equation without problems?

There is no virtual vve under my edit tab. I'm using version 2.24 because its what all my PID's and crap work with. Will I have to update to see virtual vve?

Tuner
    "I'll have a look. I've never heard of a switch mode. Have no idea what you're talking about. So, cut and paste what changes?"

Maybe do some independent research/reading. There are hundreds of threads on the forum exactly like this.
    69 Chevelle 418" LS3, 11.25:1,PRC 260 heads, TSP 235/239, Longtubes, dual 3", 4L80, 3.42
    2010 Corvette Grand Sport A6, Heartbeat blower, 78mm pulley/10% lower, Kooks Long Tubes, 224/232 blower cam, ID1050x's, ECS stage 1 fuel system, alkycontrol meth system

Advanced Tuner
    get newer version, then your VVE tables will be under the "Edit" tab. setup your scanner the same as you would a normal Ve table, and tune the VVe the same as you did the normal Ve. Obviously the scanner will be setup to match the Vve table. Only thing is the VVe has Ve mode, open and closed, and for DoD open and closed.. You can paste the fuel changes in all of those listed in VVe "Ve mode" tables. Sorry I had to edit because the newer version changed how they listed the different modes. It used to be called IMR open and closed.
    Last edited by h2.4; 02-28-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Thank you. Looks like if I want to do any serious tuning on this ecm I will have to trash all my pids, scanner setup, forget half of what I learned and start all over. Is learning all the changes in the new vcm suite gonna take me a year? I enjoy the hobby but don't want to change the cam and take 2 months to relearn how to tune it. What do you think?

The tuning aspect is the same, just creating new layouts may be your only hold up.

There are several write ups in the VCM scanner section that go step by step in detail about setting up certain graphs for tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuning Addict
    If you have any custom math channels or anything like that setup in 2.24 - make sure to write them down so when you go to 3.7 you'll be able to enter them into the new software. New software is a little involved to get used to, but once you do it's MUCH better than the old software
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Thanks. I'm gonna install the new version on the wifes laptop and have a look at it

Senior Tuner
    You can use the Bluecat tool to tune the VVE with 2.24.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...t-VE-Version-4

Virtual VE is what VVE stands for.

VVT is variable valve timing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Or variable volumetric efficiency? Damn, really?

Copy... So I'm guessing tuning the VVE is mandatory along with the changes in the MAF I'll need for the cam?